Starting over...

Hey everyone! I'm Palmer, 22 year old from Canada, ON. Currently going to university, I'm thinking for social work but I'm still deciding. I've been on this site on and off for maybe two years or so now, and any time I've started doing well either I lost the will power early on, or something came up. It's been a rough past two years for me, I lost my dad to cancer sept.2012 and I know I've gained a lot of weight since then. Last spring I was doing great for two months eating well until I got sick with bronchitis and laryngitis. I know that's not really an excuse but it really wiped me out, I don't think I was handling my loss well and got really sick for two weeks, the downside being that it took my lungs two months to heal enough before I could do more than just walking without winding myself. After that I just sort of gave up, have had a few hopeful days I thought I wanted to get healthy again but gave up again. I'm definitely a binge eater at times, but I've finally put my foot down and decided enough is enough. I'm wanting to lose 100-120 lbs, down about 10 so far which is awesome, just from changing how I'm eating. I'd love to be active on this site and in the past I didn't use the forums, so I'm hoping this time that will be helpful. I love reading people's success stories, it's definitely inspirational. I'm excited to start this journey, and I plan to follow through this time. It feels different this time, and I can't wait to be the one posting the success stories eventually, and hopefully inspiring others.
Feel free to add me! I'd love some support and to support others. :)

Replies

• ukmark12
    ukmark12 Posts: 8 Member
    Hi Palmer---and welcome back! I understand the battle---I have about 45 lbs left to lose---having lost about 15 already. I too have lost (both) my parents to dreaded disease....so I understand it is a lot to take in losing a parent. You mourn in ways you don't realize until after the fact....and I for sure sought comfort from food on way too many occasions! Hang in there---log EVERYTHING you put in your mouth and find people that will support you and not sabotage you. YOU CAN DO IT!!! :wink:
  • palmerdanielle
    palmerdanielle Posts: 341 Member
    Thank you! Very true, I was pretty shocked when I'd realized I'd gained as much as I did. I definitely want to get fit and healthy, not to mention I never want to go through what he or so many others do if I can avoid it, and changing to a healthier lifestyle is one of the best things I can do for myself. Thank you for you support and advice, and I will definitely be working on sticking to logging everything!
  • Kevin_Rex
    Kevin_Rex Posts: 127 Member
    Hey Palmer -

Happy to see you've rebooted your dedication and are ready to kick it back into gear.

Last year (about this time) I first started MFP and lost 40+ lbs in about 3.5 months (228 down to 188). I logged everything, walked every day, went to the gym twice per week, and hiked. About mid-April 2013 I got sick off and on for a few weeks and it zapped me and my motivation with a quickness! I've since gained about 20lbs and have decided to reboot my efforts as well.

The many restarts I had last year never, eh, lasted... but I've been at it for a little over a week and it feels phenomenal! Being back to the MFP routine makes me feel engaged, eager and committed... Love it!

I plan to get down to 180 and would dig to travel along this road with you... laughs, encouragement and support is what it's about! (well... along with eating right, exercise, activity, logging, stretching, drinking water, etc, etc :)

Here's to 2014 and lots of fat destruction!

Kev_
  • grrupp
    grrupp Posts: 159 Member
    Bump
  • palmerdanielle
    Thanks Kevi, it's crazy how we can get off track, but it's definitely hard when you're sick for a long period of time. Glad to hear you're back at it as well! It's nice logging in here, it makes it much easier and I'm overwhelmed/ thrilled with the support difference this time by using the forums. Stay in touch, cheers!
  • Hi, welcome back. I too have been on and off of MFP for about 2 or 3 years, I am now ready to make the commitment to lose weight, because it's starting to affect my back and feet. I am looking to lose a total of 70- 90 lbs I'm 5 foot 5 inches so my "healthy weight" would be like 125, but I feel like that would be too skinny for my body type, I'd settle for 150 or 170ish. I do a lot to keep myself busy so I don't eat as much crap as I used too. I try to check in on my phone at least every other day.
    I am in College as well, studying Criminal Justice and hoping to go to Law School to work with Juveniles. I work at Michael's Arts and Craft store and I'm pretty crafty so I occasionally post my crafts or my craft blogs link to show off my work onto my news feed.
    I'll add you as a friend and Good Luck!
  • palmerdanielle
    Sounds like we have somewhat similar goals! I'm about 5'6",-5'"7 and my healthy weight goes in a similar range, but for my body type I think around the higher end of it would be good, 150-170, I'll re-evaluate when I get there. Criminology sounds awesome, I'm thinking about taking a class in that next year, I'm taking something of a general year so I can figure out for sure what I'd like to do, I've got a college diploma in social work but here university would be the next level, so I'm trying a good variety of social sciences, surprisingly really enjoying political science and working on French and sign language as well. I look forward to seeing your work, I'm definitely a lover of arts and creativity.