Vegetable Meal/Side Ideas for Picky Eater?

Options

Replies

• scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    vegetable fried rice you can get it pre made or you can make it yourself at home. it is a little high in sodium but a good way to get veggies in like carrots, peas, and onions. You can also have pasta salad. I put olives, pickles, cucumbers, and sliced carrots in it. Just chop up the veggies and put in cooked pasta that has been drained and cooled and i also put in mayo and ranch for ranch pasta and i also add ham. but you can make it the way you want lol also you can make healthy pizza with spinach and alfredo sauce. or you can make regular pizza and add pickles olives onions peppers or whatever you want. or you can get the frozen meals that have veggies in it. like the other day i had healthy choice beef pot roast and it had veggies in it and there was gravy so the veggies were soft and delicious lol and i am pretty picky when it comes to veggies too but when there is other things i like in it i can sometimes eat the stuff i don't like when it is by itself. oh and tuna fish pasta salad is also another good one. i could keep going on for forever there is lots of stuff you can do to get more veggies in. you can also just try eating them raw with ranch or something and you can also cook them by themselves with a little brown sugar like cooked carrots those are so delicious with a little butter and brown sugar lol anyways good luck hope i helped :smile:
  • ceruleanjen
    Options
    I was once a VERY picky eater. Could barely eat any fruits, vegetables or seafood. I think this is quite common in people who are overweight - we like the good stuff, probably ate too much junk, sugar and salt growing up so our tastes for healthier foods did not develop. I grew up basically eating sugar cereals, hot dogs and Campbell's chicken noodle soup.

I don't have recipes for you but I'll tell you how I overcame being picky. As hard as it seems, it really is mind over matter. I remember gagging and throwing up food I found disgusting, it was that severe. Being so picky is very embarrassing, and lets face it, childish.

I would pick one food, the one I thought was perhaps the "least disgusting" and focus on that one until I could tolerate it. Started with "deciding" or "choosing" to like that food. Would tell myself over and over "I like green beans. I eat green beans, etc" Kept eating it until I liked it trying different ways to fix them. Would start with hiding the taste by adding to other dishes, sauces. Pepper and hot sauce are great way to hide taste. I remember when I was "conquering" shrimp (which I found unbelievably revolting) the ONLY way I could eat it was blackened so I couldn't taste the shrimp at all. Next I would drown it in cocktail sauce. Slowly got used to the texture, talking my way though it, "I eat shrimp. I like shrimp. See its not bad right you are an adult and you eat seafood"

This is going on a long time but what I'm trying to tell you is instead of preparing the few foods you like - overcome your pickiness. You can do it. I now love just about every vegetable and fruit there is and my favorite food on earth is crab legs. Now that is a miracle. I no longer force it, that is temporary and you get over it quickly.

Being picky is like love - in the end its not the feeling to love but the decision to love that matters.

Here's wishing you well!

Were you picky since a child, too? I have been this way since I was born. I nearly starved to death because I couldn't keep down anything. My mom says the doctor finally found a normal I could take (breastfeeding wasn't an option). I've tried to eat the stuff I don't like all my life, some just like the way you've described. I'm tired of making myself sick. Trying not to make excuses but if you can't keep a food down after several attempts, what do you do? It's frustrating.

I'm fine with trying the stuff I hate to see if anything has changed and am open to new recipes, but I also want to enjoy part of my diet and wanted to add more veggies in different ways. Naturally this is easiest with stuff I know that won't come back up. I'll try hiding the least offensive one for now.

I don't believe it's childish to not like something because it makes you feel sick/bad or genuinely do not like it, though. I honestly think it's the bitter/sour taste so many veggies seem to have with me, plus certain textures. But like I said, I'm open to trying stuff. I periodically re-try stuff I hate. Some of the veggies on my list I wouldn't touch years ago, but took a very long time to like.

Thanks for the suggestions and glad you were able to overcome it. Crab legs are one of my favorites. :)
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Smoothies!! I throw veggies (mostly spinach and kales) into my fruit smoothies all the time and I can't even tell.

BTW- for someone who doesn't like many veggies, you have a pretty good list going :) Don't be so hard on yourself.
  • ceruleanjen
    Options
    It's great that you're willing to try new things, and the list you already eat is pretty good -- you've got most of the bases covered (cruciferous, legumes, alliums, leafy green, orange/yellow, red, white). You can certainly make a variety of salads, pasta salads or hot pasta veggie toppings, stir-fries, soups, and veggie-heavy stews, chilis, and curries with that list.

When you say that you can't tolerate squash, do you mean summer squash (e.g., zucchini, yellow crookneck, courgettes)? It would seem odd if you mean winter squash, since they're very similar in texture and flavor to pumpkin and sweet potatoes, which you can tolerate (in fact, pumpkin is a squash). So if you haven't tried other winter squash (acorn, butternut, etc.), you might give them a chance. (If you only eat your pumpkin from a can, I think roasting and mashing would give you closest to the same texture when starting with whole squash -- they'll be more watery if you boil them. But you also may be able to find frozen squash.)

When you say that you can't tolerate cabbage, is that just the large round heads of white/green/purple cabbage? (Have you tried them stir-fried?) Have you tried Savoy cabbage (the ruffled kind), Chinese cabbage, Napa, bok choi?

Just a few veggies I don't see on either your don't-eat or do-eat lists: avocado, beets, edamame, black beans, chick peas, white kidney beans, lentils, leeks, garlic, turnips, parsnips, tomatillos, mushrooms, cucumbers, alfalfa sprouts, bean sprouts, escarole, endive, kale (try these last three both raw and cooked, since you might like them one way and not the other).

Here's a corn chowder recipe that uses a couple of veggies on your good-to-go list (I can't remember where I adapted it from; it was originally a slow cooker recipe). These are the ingredients and exact amounts I used. Most of the amounts don't need to be that exact (I just did it to get the exact counts for calories and other nutrients). You obviously can use any brand/style of bacon you prefer (from your names for veggies, I'm guessing you're from the U.S., but if not, what I used is "belly" bacon; I'm not sure how less fatty varieties would work. You could sub purple onions if you can tolerate them cooked, or try pureeing them after you cook them. You could skip the bell peppers, or try using roasted ones and puree them along with the onions after cooking. Might as well puree the celery too if you're going that route. I like this with hot sauce (tabasco or similar) added when serving.

Coleman Natural - Uncured Hickory Smoked Bacon, 2 slices
    Potatoes - Russet, flesh and skin, baked, 440.0 g
    Onion - Red or Yellow Onion, Raw , 1 cup
    Generic - Sweet Corn, One Medium Ear, 6 Med. Ear, 6.75-7.5" long, 90g
    Vegetable - Red Bell Pepper (Raw), 0.88 cup, chopped (149g)
    Celery - Raw, 56.0 g (2 oz.)
    Spices - Pepper, black, 0.5 tsp
    Nature's Promise - Organic 1% Milk, 16 oz
    Butter - Unsalted, 1 tbsp
    Per one-cup Serving (makes about 8, depending on how much liquid you use): 174 cal., 5 g. fiber, 4 g. fat, 7 g. protein, 33 g carb, 540 mg potassium

You're going to want about a quart of stock made from boiling corn cobs. This is better suited to the early fall when you can still get fresh corn, but you could use frozen. Save the water you cook the corn in, and after you cut the corn off the ears, return the ears to the pot (along with inner leaves of husk, if you have them) and cook another 20 to 30 minutes. (If you want, you can continue boiling the stock to reduce it to about a quart, or just use a quart and save any remainder for another purpose. Strain it.)

Peel, chop, and cook the potatoes (you could cook them in the corn stock, if you've got that ready ahead of time, but water is fine). Chop onions, peppers, and celery (chop fine or at least very small if you're not going to puree, otherwise a small to medium dice should be OK). Cook the bacon in a Dutch oven, or other heavy-bottomed, large pot (doesn't need to be oven-safe). Remove slices, drain, and reserve. Drain most of the fat from pot (or leave it, but realize you're adding some fat and calories), but not the little cooked bits of bacon stuck to it. Add butter, and saute onions, pepper, and celery over low to medium heat. When done (onions are translucent, or you could even go beyond that to where the edges are starting to brown, but I don't care for that in this recipe), remove the veggies with slotted spoon if you're going to puree them in an appliance with a base. If you have an immersion blender (aka stick blender), leave veggies in the pan. Deglaze pan with a small amount of the corn stock (i.e., add a half-cup of stock and turn up heat to medium or medium high while scraping cooked on bits off bottom of pot. Add the rest of the stock. If you're pureeing with an immersion blender, do so at this point. Add milk and potatoes, and heat through. Dice the bacon (small dice) and return to pot (or alternatively add a small amount to top of each bowl, if you're going to serve it all).

I like those ideas.

I'm not really sure. Since I didn't prepare the squash myself any time I've ever tried it, I just know it's generally yellow. I'll try the more "pumpkin-like" ones, though.

Yes, white/green/purple. I'll try some of the others and possibly stir-fry.

I actually can do avocado--just a little uncertain on what to do with it. Garlic is good. I have mushrooms on my Can't list and cucumbers on my OK list. I'll try some of the others if I can find them.

The corn chowder recipe sounds awesome. Will definitely try that. And yes, from the US. Sorry if my list was confusing. Thanks so much for your suggestions!
  • ceruleanjen
    Options
    ...and as a reward for eating all your veggies, try the "candy bars."

I do not think that is a good idea at all. ^-^
  • ceruleanjen
    Options
    vegetable fried rice you can get it pre made or you can make it yourself at home. it is a little high in sodium but a good way to get veggies in like carrots, peas, and onions. You can also have pasta salad. I put olives, pickles, cucumbers, and sliced carrots in it. Just chop up the veggies and put in cooked pasta that has been drained and cooled and i also put in mayo and ranch for ranch pasta and i also add ham. but you can make it the way you want lol also you can make healthy pizza with spinach and alfredo sauce. or you can make regular pizza and add pickles olives onions peppers or whatever you want. or you can get the frozen meals that have veggies in it. like the other day i had healthy choice beef pot roast and it had veggies in it and there was gravy so the veggies were soft and delicious lol and i am pretty picky when it comes to veggies too but when there is other things i like in it i can sometimes eat the stuff i don't like when it is by itself. oh and tuna fish pasta salad is also another good one. i could keep going on for forever there is lots of stuff you can do to get more veggies in. you can also just try eating them raw with ranch or something and you can also cook them by themselves with a little brown sugar like cooked carrots those are so delicious with a little butter and brown sugar lol anyways good luck hope i helped :smile:

Good ideas! I love fried rice and the spinach/alfredo pizza at CiCi's. I never thought about making it myself, but that's a great idea. Thanks for the ideas. Very helpful :)
  • ceruleanjen
    Options
    Smoothies!! I throw veggies (mostly spinach and kales) into my fruit smoothies all the time and I can't even tell.

BTW- for someone who doesn't like many veggies, you have a pretty good list going :) Don't be so hard on yourself.

I need to learn to make the smoothies. Just have to drag the blender out of storage.

Thanks. I think I'm hard on myself because the ones most people like I can't stand/keep down and they make me feel bad about it. I'll try not to, though.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I actually can do avocado--just a little uncertain on what to do with it. Garlic is good. I have mushrooms on my Can't list and cucumbers on my OK list. I'll try some of the others if I can find them.

Smash add salt and pepper. Put on dry toasted bread. Go a little bit smoother and put on a sandwich. Go even smoother and dip other veggies in it.

Dice and squeeze a little lime on in and put it in salads or on top of tacos or nachos... or other random things.

Add to bean dip. Or keep it whole and eat in a bean salad.

As for mushrooms I like them so take that in to consideration when I suggest cooking them with a beef dish. Really cook them down and they kind of just end up being like more beefiness in the dish.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    What to do with avocado: Well, guacamole, of course, or put it in a smoothie, or slice it on to a salad or sandwich. It makes a fantastic salad with sectioned grapefruit or orange plus Russian (tomato-based) dressing or honey mustard dressing. Great on almost any kind of sandwich, but I especially like it on turkey or turkey bacon, or on a veggie sandwich (mostly avocado, with cukes, tomatoes --I'm drawing a blank on a good substitute for you, maybe omit--alfalfa sprouts, and shredded raw carrot --sorry, can't see your lists from here, and I can't remember whether it was thumbs up or down on raw carrots, with a little dijon mustard, or dijon-mayo mix; could add cheese if you like).
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    For me, the trick is to make the unbearable, bearable...

Any veggie tossed in a little olive oil, garlic and balsamic glaze and then roasted makes it taste a WHOLE lot better, even Brussels Sprouts and Asparagus.

Good luck.

Best!
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My first item of advice is stay away from canned anything.

Fresh is always best. I love roasted anything. I put 1 tablespoon dijon mustard 1 teaspoon horseraddish, a sprinkle of garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste. Roast in the overn at 350 for 30 minutes or until tender. I put this on Broccoli, green beans, cauliflower you name it....it is awesome!

It is sweet and spicy and delish! Try it you might like it!:bigsmile:
  • SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You said you like snow peas, but in rice or cooked? I cook them up with chicken a lot, but my favorite thing to eat them with is hummus. I use them instead of chips or something. Is that an option?
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    What to do with avocado: It makes a fantastic salad with sectioned grapefruit or orange plus Russian (tomato-based) dressing or honey mustard dressing.

Sounds AMAZING, I can't wait to try this!
    I love roasted anything. I put 1 tablespoon dijon mustard 1 teaspoon horseraddish, a sprinkle of garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste. Roast in the overn at 350 for 30 minutes or until tender.

This, too!! Oh my gosh!! Now, I have a question: I like horseradish but I've never cooked with it. Do you use something jarred or fresh and is it similar to ginger in looks, or am I getting that confused with something else?
  • ceruleanjen
    Options

Smash add salt and pepper. Put on dry toasted bread. Go a little bit smoother and put on a sandwich. Go even smoother and dip other veggies in it.

Dice and squeeze a little lime on in and put it in salads or on top of tacos or nachos... or other random things.

Add to bean dip. Or keep it whole and eat in a bean salad.

As for mushrooms I like them so take that in to consideration when I suggest cooking them with a beef dish. Really cook them down and they kind of just end up being like more beefiness in the dish.

Will definitely try that. Thanks.
  • ceruleanjen
    Options
    What to do with avocado: Well, guacamole, of course, or put it in a smoothie, or slice it on to a salad or sandwich. It makes a fantastic salad with sectioned grapefruit or orange plus Russian (tomato-based) dressing or honey mustard dressing. Great on almost any kind of sandwich, but I especially like it on turkey or turkey bacon, or on a veggie sandwich (mostly avocado, with cukes, tomatoes --I'm drawing a blank on a good substitute for you, maybe omit--alfalfa sprouts, and shredded raw carrot --sorry, can't see your lists from here, and I can't remember whether it was thumbs up or down on raw carrots, with a little dijon mustard, or dijon-mayo mix; could add cheese if you like).

That sounds good. I can do raw carrots if they are sliced very, very thin. I still need to try alfalfa sprouts. Thanks.
  • ceruleanjen
    Options
    For me, the trick is to make the unbearable, bearable...

Any veggie tossed in a little olive oil, garlic and balsamic glaze and then roasted makes it taste a WHOLE lot better, even Brussels Sprouts and Asparagus.

Good luck.

Best!

Thanks. Will try that.
  • ceruleanjen
    Options
    My first item of advice is stay away from canned anything.

Fresh is always best. I love roasted anything. I put 1 tablespoon dijon mustard 1 teaspoon horseraddish, a sprinkle of garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste. Roast in the overn at 350 for 30 minutes or until tender. I put this on Broccoli, green beans, cauliflower you name it....it is awesome!

It is sweet and spicy and delish! Try it you might like it!:bigsmile:

Thanks for the suggestion.
  • ceruleanjen
    Options
    You said you like snow peas, but in rice or cooked? I cook them up with chicken a lot, but my favorite thing to eat them with is hummus. I use them instead of chips or something. Is that an option?

Usually in rice. I haven't tried hummus yet so could be an option. Thanks!
  • HelensBeads
    HelensBeads Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Do you eat meat? Cheese?

Grated cheese mixed through helps most things.

If you like bacon and want to try sprouts with a difference rather than slimy ones steamed or boiled then fry a chopped rasher of bacon and a shredded sprout (if you like it you can add more sprouts next time, but keep it simple to begin with), don't need to add oil, just put in the pan and keep pushing it round until the bacon looks done. If you like it you can increase the quantity next time, feel free to add onions or garlic as well.

Cabbage. OK not the best veg, but have you tried it braised with balsamic and apple, bit of onion. Delia does one.... http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/party-food/accompaniment/traditional-braised-red-cabbage-with-apples.html
    It doesn't look like that when it comes out of the oven, honest. You can change the vinegar, add cranberries, OK not much good playing with variations if you really can't stand the first one, but worth the first go.

Another vote for roast cauliflower here.

Mushrooms, if you fancy another go. Put them in a hot pan (sliced, no oil) and keep cooking them until they release all their juice and it evaporates. This makes them tougher and chewier and not at all slimy.

Edit: Carrot cake, beetroot cake, courgette muffins?
  • measem1
    measem1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well for my picky eaters who don't like veggies. I sneak them into dishes. Make my homemade spaghetti sauce which has carrots and squash and onions in it. The picky ones love it and don't notice the veggies. I always have to double the recipie. Will post recipe when can find it again. The other way to get the veggies in is to add some to say meatloaf. Just dice the veggies sauté to soften then add to regular recipe. Gives added flavors. Just some thoughts if can't or won't eat them separate.