Eating and workouts

Options
Should you eat before you workout in the morning or after you workout?

Replies

• scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    It depends on you really. I run early in the morning, so I usually go on an empty stomach. When I strength train, I like to have a small snack about a half hour prior and then I'll really eat after. I know others who have to eat before they run or workout. If you do eat before, stay conscience of what you're eating as some foods can cause you problems and really affect your workout.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Its up to you. I don't like to workout with food in my stomach, so I don't eat before, unless I'm feeling extra ravenous. I don't always eat right after, but I try to, as I'm generally hungry, then I might eat a bigger breakfast later.
  • JessiMattson
    Options
    A friend of mine was just giving me a hard time because I don't like to eat before I work out on the weekends, which is the only time I work out in the morning. During the week I go after work.

I decided that if I don't feel hungry and have enough energy, I don't need to eat. I don't like having food in my stomach for cardio and lately I've been doing a combo of 1 hour of cardio and ~1.5 of lifting on the weekends. I figure if I have any problems with energy levels or ill effects of not eating I'll have a yogurt before I go.

From what I've read it's pretty subjective. Depends on the person.