Cod, anyone?

Options
Biddygirl77
Biddygirl77 Posts: 20 Member
I have a bunch of frozen cod filets to use. Would love some new recipes (under 400 cals/serving preferably). Ideas welcome.

Replies

• FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    baked with orange juice.. its good
  • henriettevanittersum
    Options
    In the oven with halved cherry tomatoes, green onion, crumbled feta, preboiled baby potatoes (halved) and a little olive oil or butter. Salt & Pepper to taste. Oven at 325 F or 180 C, about 30 min. Yum!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Baked topped with a cheese of your choice
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Throw some Old bay seasoning on it, bake until flaky. Or Cod tacos-yum yum.
  • mikeroybal
    mikeroybal Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I like to grill them and toos some sals on top. or if it fits your nacros fish and chips
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    put on the bbq grill wrapped in tinfoil, green onions and a little butter. when downe flakes it up and add some salsa
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Lunch today is Cod! Fish Tacos!
    One of my favorites/regular lunches.
    4 ounces cod, grilled or pan fried in about 1 TBSP coconut oil
    15g tartar sauce
    1.5 ounce broccoli slaw
    1 high fiber-low carb wrap.

Total YUM!!!
  • TemeraldMarie
    TemeraldMarie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I generally cook 8-10 oz of cod in .5 a tbs of veg. oil. season with paprika garlic and maybe some onions. then a couple cups of ice burg salad. and use salsa as a dressing. my diary is open, your more then welcome to look. i eat LOTS of cod :) super yummy and packed with protein.
  • hpaige28
    hpaige28 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Cod is very bland. So use them up and then try out another white fish to use. I adapted the below recipe for shrimp to work for COD as well. I have made both the shrimp and Cod. I added parmesan cheese to both of them as an extra ingredient before baking them. It was delicious.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Shrimp-Scampi-Bake/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=baked shrimp scampi&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=/my/recipebox/default.aspx
  • Richard_101
    Options
    You could make a version of Kedgeree

100g (cooked) brown rice
    1 tsp of curry powder
    1 tsp of ground corriander
    1 tsp of tumeric
    1 half white onion
    2 boiled egg whites,

fry the onion (in 1 tsp of olive oil) until soft
    add the spices
    fry for a minute
    Add the rice and fry for a minute
    add boiling water (approx 150ml but it depends on the rice)

Meanwhile poach the cod in milk until it flakes.

When the rice has absorbed all the water (you may need to keep adding more) and is soft then take off the heat and crumble the cod into it. Then crumble the boiled egg whites into it (or whole eggs if you prefer)

Serve with pitta if you want.
    My wife also has sweet chilli sauce with .

We normally use smoked fish but plain is ok.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I love cod, and I love to cook it simply. The most common way I cook cod is to lay the (thawed) fillets out on some tinfoil, dot them with a little butter, add some old bay (or whatever seasoning I'm in the mood for), and cover them in lemon slices. Seal up the foil nice and tight, then it goes into a 425 degree oven for 10 mins .. 15 mins max.

I portion 2 lbs of fish into 6 servings; MFP's calculator reports (per serving):

165 Calories, 1g carbs, 5g Fat, 28g Protein

It's a lot of protein bang for the buck.

You can also take the liquid from the foil after cooking, put it in a sauce pan, add a little butter or cream, reduce it down and have a great sauce. I only log the butter or cream when I do that, though.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I am sad. I thought we were going to talk about Call of Duty.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i warm them in a pan on the stovetop without any oil or sauce then eat it with a couple tablespoons of salsa
    or i make some rice and chop up the fish and toss it in with the rice
    Cod is pretty easy to mix with whatever
  • Koholint
    Koholint Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Aww... I saw "Cod" and thought "Call of Duty."

I eat tilapia anyway.

EDIT:
    I am sad. I thought we were going to talk about Call of Duty.
    So glad I'm not the only one!
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I think cod is delicious when done in the skillet with some butter, garlic and parsley!

I will also be trying this French recipe I saw on tv last weekend for tomorrow diner's. Here's the recipe:

About a pound of cod
    1 big fennel bulb
    1 onion
    3 tbs of olive oil
    2 garlic cloves
    1 tsp of tarragon ( says if you don't like you can use basil or parsley)
    1 cup of white wine
    2 cups of fish broth ( or vegetable broth)
    Can on diced tomatoes 798ml
    2 oranges, pressed and zested
    Cayenne to taste
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp of sugar
    Salt and pepper to taste
    One citrus zested for the service
    1/2 cup of roasted sliced almond for service also( I am thinking of skipping this)

1) Brown the onion and the fennel bulb in olive oil for about 3 minutes. Add garlic and tarragon, cook for a minute.
    2) Add wine, fish broth, diced tomatoes, the zest of one orange, the juice of the two oranges, cayenne, sugar and bay leaf. Seasoned to your taste and mix well.
    3) Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and wait for a light simmer? ( I am french and hoping this is the right term!) and no more boiling. Add the fish now and let simmer for 12-15 minutes. 5-8 minutes more if your fish is frozen.
    4) Serve with the citrus zest and almonds.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Typically just baked with some pepper and lemon here, tonight I'm making fish and chips though... just cut it in strips, roll in flour, egg white, then breadcrumbs and bake... I make a Greek yogurt/mustard sauce to go with it.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Sprinkle with lemon-pepper and slivered garlic, add a couple pats of butter, wrap in foil and toss em' on the grill or in the oven, when they are firm, squeeze a lemon wedge or two over them and viola. I like sautéed asparagus with garlic and cherry tomatoes as a side, your mileage may vary.

Rigger
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Fish in Red Sauce: 4 servings at 230 calories each (without rice or polenta)

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 onion, thinly sliced
    1 red or green pepper, thinly sliced
    4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 15 oz can of tomato sauce, or can use tomato paste thinned with water to desired consistency (if you use paste you may have to add a little salt for taste)
    4 cod fillets, thawed, about 16 oz. total, (4 oz. each piece)
    1-2 teaspoons dry basil
    1 teaspoon dry cilantro
    red pepper flakes to taste if you like spicy

In large skillet over med-low heat cook onions in olive oil until slightly caramelized. Add green/red peppers and cook until slightly softened. Add minced garlic, tomato sauce (or paste and water). Add spices, salt if needed. Add cod fillets. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until cod is cooked through and flakes easily. Serve over rice or polenta