Zumba

Options
Question: Does anyone out there do Zumba? If so what do you think of it. Is it something that a 222 lb person can do easily? Or should I stick to walking until I am below 200 lbs?

Are there any good DVD's that are good for a beginner?

Thanks for answering these questions.

Replies

• kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I started Zumba at 245, now at 219. I LOVE it. i look forward to class. It is not easy, I leave every class pouring sweat. I started out walking with a pedometer, determined to get 10,000 steps a day and many days it was really hard. But, this morning, i had an 8am Zumba class, by 9am I had 7,300 steps. So, it definitely gets you moving.

However, I tried Zumba for xbox a couple years ago and hated every moment, I think a class is very different than a video or a video game.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I can't comment on Zumba (as I have no dance ability whatsoever).......but these are good for a beginner

Jessica Smith "Walking" workouts on YouTube. These are basically low impact aerobics without much in the way of choreography.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jessica+smith+walking&sm=1

DVDs .....try Leslie Sansone Walk at Home....

video clips here: http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/leslie-sansones-ultimate-5-day-walk-plan-6155

You can buy these at Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, etc. Don't let the 5 Mile title intimidate you......DVDs that are chaptered allow you to skip to whatever section you want. You can create a 1 mile workout if that's what you have time for. Also, these can work for intermediates (when you get there) .....higher knees, more arm movements, some high impact moves, etc.
  • booboofachi
    booboofachi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like going to them and I am 220lbs...it's so much fun, and better when your out with a group verses the video game (currently mine is collecting dust lol) good luck :)
  • jlederman71
    jlederman71 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I go to a Zumba class 3 times a week. I love class.. it is so much fun and my HRM says I burn between 400-450 calories per class. Its tough but I know you could do it for sure. I tried Zumba at home too... it too is collecting dust. The class atmosphere is much more fun in my opinion and you work harder. But definately give it a try!!
  • Sparren
    Sparren Posts: 106
    Options
    I am a Zumba instructor and I have all sorts of shapes and sizes to my classes! What I emphasise to people coming for the first time is to work at their own pace. Some of the moves can seem a little tricky at first, but I encourage my newbies to just focus on one thing at a time - legs or arms. By encouraging arm movements (especially arms above the head - makes the heart work a little harder and therefore burns more calories) they still are getting a workout without placing stress on their lower bodies. Some of my older ladies that have a few knee issues do this also. Big arms - craaaaazy arms while they're just shuffling their feet around and they still leave drenched in sweat! Don't ever worry about people "looking at you" - most of my students have been doing Zumba as long as I have and they still watch every move I make - they don't have time to look at anyone else in class! I encourage going to a class - the more people around you the more energy in the room and the more you push yourself! All the best!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I would try to find a live class. I find the live classes to be way more fun/challenging than the home workouts. I have done Zumba at 214 pounds (my heaviest) and am doing it now in the 160s. Still love it!
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba. Don't limit yourself physically by your weight. Give it a try and see what your body can do. (I used to tell myself all the time that I would start running after I lost weight. This time around, I started running at 240 lbs. I'm still probably the slowest girl in the gym, but I won't be that way for long!)
  • kaz_atherton
    kaz_atherton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I go to a Zumba class and I love it. It's very bouncy, so if your joints aren't the best, then maybe hold off until you're a bit lighter. A good pair of sport trainers for the impacts and lots of water are needed. Go in comfortable clothes too, that will allow you to move freely (and sweat)
  • hillarayray
    Options
    I've owned the Zumba: Exhilarate DVD's for over 2 years now and LOVE THEM! I want to buy the newest DVD's too! I've never been to a class, but I know in the DVD's they have different levels from easy to hard, plus within some of them they show you modifications if you can't fully do some of the moves.

They have a Step-by-Step DVD, then the next one up is called Activate which gets you started with it and getting used to it.
    Then there's the Rush DVD, which is a quick 20 minute workout.
    There is also the Ripped DVD (which is 1st half toning with the toning sticks, and 2nd half Sonata which is my FAVORITE!)
    Then finally there are the Mix, Exhilarate and Exhilarate Concert DVD's.

I think you wouldn't have any issue doing them, just take it slow and do modifications if you have too.
  • LittleonebeforethethroneofGod
    Options
    Thanks to all who replied. I'm armed with some information. =D I'm going to check out some vidoes on youtube that I have marked watch later and watch. I found an ipad app for zumba, have any of you used it?

https://itunes.apple.com/US/app/id623366709?mt=8
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, Zumba. Because someone did actually find a way to make money out of just telling people to move about a bit and wave their arms about in no particular order.
  • JennBunny73
    JennBunny73 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have been going to zumba class for 2 years now and I have lost weight with it and my at home dvds (turbofire, Rockin Body, Hip Hop Abs). Size doesn't matter cause anyone can move and have fun with it. I started at 200 pounds and I am now in the 160s.

Personally, I do not like the at home dvd's. They are boring and hard to follow compared to the classes. I have the older ones so I am not sure about the newer ones. I love the classes though because they put it to more modernized music and you just go and have fun and it doesn't even feel like exercise.
    I personally think you would love it and find yourself losing if not pounds, definitely inches. Good luck :)