Thoughs on Coconut Oil - High Fat

Options
I eat coconut oil for some help with some health issues. I am suppose to eat 2-3 tbps a day it is really high in fat so then by the time I have the rest of my food Im over on my fat intake for the day. I have read that the fat you get from coconut oil while still saturated it is a good fat, not the same as the saturated fat from animals.

The other fats I get is from Eggs, PB and healthy stuff I don't eat prepackaged food. I noticed eggs have 8grams so I am going to start buying egg whites.

So my typical day is Carbs 165 Fat 72 Protein 94
Stats: 31 years old 5'6 151

Anyone else take coconut oil and just not worry about the effect on Macros or should I cut the fat in other places like the eggs, PB???

Replies

• kakemono
    kakemono Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well, if you are counting macros, you can't just ignore it - it is a fat and you need to count it like you would any other food.

Between eggs and coconut oil, I would go with egg yolks over coconut oil. As long as they are pastured eggs, the variety of amino acids, minerals, and other things in egg yolks lends them to be more nutrient dense. I would take egg yolks over almost any food.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I cook all my proteins in coconut oil or coconut spray. I don't log it but if I was really concerned about my macros I would probably use the spray over the oil in my cooking. I eat pretty clean so I'm not too worried about it but are you finding that it is hindering your goals?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I didn't like the default macro settings for the diary, so I changed them to be based on my weight and lean body mass. More info here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

I treat my protein and fat goals as minimums, and my carbs sort themselves out.
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Im asking basically because my Aunt had a Heart Attack saw me buying it and told me it will clog my arteries, she was concerned. So now I kinda am I take it for Candida in my urethra