? with TMI about Insanity (and Workout in General)

Options
So I know I can't be the only one with this problem -- most likely other women do have/have had it. And I'm looking for suggestions on how to "improve" it.

Warning TMI

I am a 5' 9" woman, who started off with my highest weight at 239.9 pounds. That was almost 2 years ago. It has taken a lot longer than I had hoped but I am down to 208 as of this morning. I lost a little, gained a little, lost a lost, gained a little, lost a little, gained a little, etc.

When I decided to get my butt in gear 2 years ago I bought a bunch of fitness related stuff including Insanity Fast & Furious. I knew I was getting in over my head with it, but figured some day.

Well, I decided it was time, being down almost 40 pounds. So I did the Insanity Fit Test this morning and ran into the same problem I had when I tried the DVD almost 2 years ago, and the same problem I have every time I sneeze. . . .

I pee when doing the Power (Jumping) Jacks, the Power Knees, and Power Jumps.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions on things in general or exercises that I can do to stop it? And no, I have not had any children.

I know I am still out of shape, but think I could have done a tad bit better on the Fit Test if I didn't have pee running down my leg.

Well, no off to the gym to hit the treadmill -- and just fyi although I might have to pee due my water intake, I don't have a problem controlling it when I run.

Replies

• danielle_jeanne
    danielle_jeanne Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Kegals?
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Kegels. Make sure you go before you exercise. Wear a pad. I have found certain moves are worse than others. I can run miles but jumping rope gets me in a few jumps. It is actually a fairly common problem and despite lots of kegeling for years I have not been able to overcome it. I am just grateful I can run without wetting myself and modify other moves or do something different when it is something I have problems with.
  • jennhill310
    Options
    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person that has the same problem
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Start doing kegels and consider a visit to the drs a
  • My_Own_Worst_Enemy
    My_Own_Worst_Enemy Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Srs? Damn.

This is probably a dumb question but, you are sure your bladder is completely empty when starting?

I do notice that right before my workouts I seem to have to urinate, when I didnt have the sensation prevously (about 5 min before). Maybe its the brain/bodys way of preparing itself to do some rigorous activity ??

If you feel that you are emptying your bladder completely before exercising and its still happening during exercise (especially within only a few minutes) I would see a doctor just to check on things. Only other advice that is good in the thread is Kegels
  • thatgorsuchkid
    Options
    It normally happens after having a few kids and the urethra isn't as in-tact as it once was, being it hasn't grown back properly, or there is another issue, but chances are Keagals are the only thing you should try focusing on. The doctor recommended exercise is holding for three seconds, release for one second, and repeat around thirty- forty times. I hope this helps.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I dont do jumping jacks for the same reason. My solution (because I can't isolate those muscles needed) is incontinence pads... even when running... hell when doing any exercise. Till I can figure out a way to isolate (trust me...aint going to happen soon)

Even having an empty bladder makes no difference. I even go during a workout.
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I will have to try kegals.
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I regularly have to jump rope during interval training...gets me every time. I just wear a pad. I have to say though, at nearly 70 lbs down, the incontinence has improved during other activities like jogging, sneezing, laughing, etc.