Does this sound ok for a routine?

Options
Hi all,

I'm just getting back into MFP and going to the gym after dropping off the radar for 10 months or so... last time round I didn't really have a 'routine' as such, I just did things on the fly and it wasn't very structured, although I did eventually get to the weight/body type I was aiming for! However, it took a long time, and I want to get a bit more structure to my exercise regime this time round, though I am getting a bit confused with all the possibilities! So I was just hoping to get some opinions on my current gym plan:

Monday: Lifting day, mainly legs/core. 5 mins warm up on stationary bike, 5x5 squats, 5x5 assisted dips, 3x5 deadlifts. Cool down on stationary bike for 5 mins.

Tuesday: Cardio and arms. 5km on the stationary bike (Approx 13-15 mins for me), 5x5 overhead press, 5x5 chest press, 5x5 bicep curl, then a further 5km on the stationary bike.

Wednesday: Lifting day, mainly legs/core. 5 mins warm up on stationary bike, 5x5 squats, 5x5 dips, 3x5 deadlifts. Cool down on stationary bike for 5 mins.

Thursday: Cardio and arms. 1000 steps on the stepper/stair treadmill, 5x5 overhead press, 5x5 chest press, 5x5 bicep curl, then 5km on the stationary bike.

Friday: Lifting day, mainly legs/core. 5 mins warm up on stationary bike, 5x5 squats, 5x5 dips, 3x5 deadlifts. Cool down on stationary bike for 5 mins.

Saturday/Sunday: rest days! The gym is super busy at the weekends so I prefer to avoid it then...

I guess I'm just wondering if there is anything else you think I should add in or take out? Any other suggestions for things to add/remove from my routine? My goal is to lose about 14lb, in 10 weeks. Though really, I just want to get get rid of the excess bodyfat and get lean and strong, the number on the scale is just a guideline... cardio days are there to build up my endurance and stamina, I'm aiming to be fit enough to climb Mount Fuji in July :bigsmile:

Replies

• csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm not the best person to respond to if your routine is OK but I think it's great that you are pursuing such an amazing goal as climbing Mt. Fuji!!! :happy:
  • EricRazorbacks
    EricRazorbacks Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Not bad. Lots of compound lifts, which I prefer. With that said, without knowing your lifting experience/what weights you can lift/your plan for increasing the weights, then it makes it harder to comment. I personally would have a hard time squatting 5x5 and deadlifting 3x5, three times a week, at a reasonable working weight. Could some do it? Sure.

If your somewhat of a beginner, then I would just suggest doing Stronglifts 5x5 for the lifting since your lifting routine is very similar (you'd be subbing bent over barbell rows for curls, switching up the order a few exercises, decreasing the deadlift sets some, and losing the dips but you could keep those if you wanted). The main I reason I suggest Stronglifts is because it gives you an idea where to start with weights, how to add weight, and what to do if you stall at a weight. If you have a plan for how to deal with those issues, then great. But, I know what Stronglifts provides for those issues, and it works well for most beginners

You'd also be lifting 3 days instead of 4, but you could do your 2 days of cardio on the off days.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Looks good overall.

Personally, i would add lunges, for hip stabilization & balance.

I'd also add bent-over barbell rows (the functional opposite of the chest press).

Using the stepmill can help prep for the climbing.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments :smile:

In terms of squats, as soon as I can do 5x5 I increase the weight. So the next time I might not complete my 5th set - then once I can complete 5 sets, I increase the weight again.
    I'm currently squatting 95lb (including the bar..) which I completed yesterday, so tomorrow I will increase the weight by another 5lb. Before 'falling off the wagon' last year, I was squatting 125lb, so I'm trying to work back up to that goal. Deadlifts - well, I didn't do deadlifts before, so it's a new lift for me and i'm currently on 66lb. But that was for 3 sets - I've just taken a look at the stronglifts program and it suggests just one set, so I'll see what I can do tomorrow :smile: I see that barbell rows are part of it the program, so it certainly sounds like a good starting point.
  • rhii_xx
    Options
    EricRazorback, you seemed to answer bio_fit's question pretty well, so I'm hoping you'll be able to help me too.

I eat approximately 900 - 1200 calories a day, am 163.5cm tall and weigh 55kg, but am hoping to lose maybe another 3 or so kilos? Basically, I just want to become stronger and slightly more muscly, whilst also looking thinner.
    Last night, I quickly wrote out an exercise routine for me to follow today at the gym, but I'm not too sure about its effectiveness. Here is what I have so far:

Warm-up: 15 minute walk to the gym
    3 x 10 bench press (5kg, I’m just starting out so it’s not much atm)
    3 x 10 bicep curls (5kg weights)
    3 x 10 two-armed triceps dumbbell extensions (7kg weight)
    5 x 10 squats (10kg, I’m thinking of increasing the weight next time)
    3 x 10 leg press (60kg)
    3 x 10 leg extensions
    5 x 10 verticle leg lifts
    Elliptical trainer: 10 minutes
    Rowing machine: 10 minutes/2km
    Bike: 10 minutes
    Cool-down: 15 minute walk home

At home, I do a quick workout before bed at least 3 or 4 nights a week:

1 minute plank
    100 norml crunches
    50 side crunches (each side)
    1 minute plank

20 squats
    30 lunges (each leg)
    40 calf raises (hold for 5 seconds each)
    50 second wall squat
    40 lying leg lifts
    30 sumo squats
    20 squats

The gym routine took sometime between 1 hour and 1 hour 45 minutes to complete. I go to the gym 1 - 2 times a week, along with touch football once a week, school oztag and about 3 PE lessons per week. Any tips on how I can improve my gym routine to help better achieve my goals quicker? Thanks :smile: