Salads

Options
So, I was wondering what I could eat tonight for dinner. After I get off from work and pick up my son from my mother in laws it will be time to head to the gym. I am going to have to eat something sometime between getting Eli and going to the gym, but there won't be much time so I thought... hmmm... I think I will just stop at a fast food place and get a salad! That would be great! I started looking at some web sites to see how many calories and fat etc... are in these salads and I am AMAZED :noway: The salads offered at almost every fast food restaurant have just as much if not more fat and calories than a hamburger! I mean I am looking at grilled chicken salads... are they soaking these things in butter or something? So, I guess my question is, if I can't get a salad without wasting 500 calories does anyone have any ideas for a fast food mean besides Subway? I am getting tired of Subway, even though it is very tasty. I know that the salad is better for me but really... if I am getting the same calories then I am so tempted just to eat the burger. A lot of these salads don't even have very much nutrition anyways... iceburg lettuce is what... mostly water. Some of the salads have a few grape tomatos and maybe a sprinkling of carrots in them but really... nothing that is going to make a big difference of give me a lot of nutrition. GRRR :mad: this makes me angry. So enough of my venting... does anyone have any suggestions? I would love to be able to eat out with my husband and friends again.

Replies

• RedCurls
    RedCurls Posts: 56
    Options
    So, I was wondering what I could eat tonight for dinner. After I get off from work and pick up my son from my mother in laws it will be time to head to the gym. I am going to have to eat something sometime between getting Eli and going to the gym, but there won't be much time so I thought... hmmm... I think I will just stop at a fast food place and get a salad! That would be great! I started looking at some web sites to see how many calories and fat etc... are in these salads and I am AMAZED :noway: The salads offered at almost every fast food restaurant have just as much if not more fat and calories than a hamburger! I mean I am looking at grilled chicken salads... are they soaking these things in butter or something? So, I guess my question is, if I can't get a salad without wasting 500 calories does anyone have any ideas for a fast food mean besides Subway? I am getting tired of Subway, even though it is very tasty. I know that the salad is better for me but really... if I am getting the same calories then I am so tempted just to eat the burger. A lot of these salads don't even have very much nutrition anyways... iceburg lettuce is what... mostly water. Some of the salads have a few grape tomatos and maybe a sprinkling of carrots in them but really... nothing that is going to make a big difference of give me a lot of nutrition. GRRR :mad: this makes me angry. So enough of my venting... does anyone have any suggestions? I would love to be able to eat out with my husband and friends again.
  • ligytha
    ligytha Posts: 130
    Options
    I don't tend to frequent fast food places, but if I am to believe the commercials, they have milk, yoghurt, and fruit packs or the like-- usually as the healthy option for the kid's meals. Why don't you see if they'll let you buy a few of those? Or you can do what a vegan friend of mine does; she orders just a hamburger bun with lettuce and tomato.
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    If I go to McDonald's I get a grilled chicken sandwich with NO mayo - VERY important, that is where the majority of calories come from on that sandwich - and a yogurt parfait. I tend to eat about 500 calories each meal, though.
  • shawn1
    shawn1 Posts: 5
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I'm a college student and I don't have a lot of time or money (but I am getting better about bring my own food on campus). The problem with the salads is the fried chicken and the vast amount of dressings. I usually get grilled chicken and put the smallest amount of vinaigrette I can but still getting enough to taste. I also like getting the grilled chicken sandwiches with mayo.
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I'm a HUGE fan of the Asian Salad with grilled chicken from McDonalds. :tongue: I think the salad is 300 calories and the dressing isn't bad either (it's reduced fat). That's what I get when the hubby wants fast food (which is rare). It is kind of higher in sodium. But otherwise...a good choice! :flowerforyou:
  • rosemarymint
    rosemarymint Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    How about the salad without the chicken? I do that at Wendy's all the time. No chicken add croutons ( spell?)
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Are you able-timewise-to make your own salad either the night before or the morning of? (dressing in a seperate container) That way you can have control over what goes in it (calorie wise), and it is more economical (if that is a concern). Baby greens, veggies, legumes...nice low-cal dressing...hmmm...now I am gettng hungry.

Gina
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    You can get a side salad with a low cal dressing for a lot less - then maybe a grilled chicken wrap at either McD's or Wendys. Or at Wendy's a baked 'tato, sans sour cream or a small chili and put it on the salad - kind of like their taco salad only fewer cals. Their Taco salad isn't too bad if you leave off the sour cream and the tortilla strips. but it is still 490 calories - including the Ancho Chipolte Ranch. Small chili - 190, side salad - 35.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    A kids hamburger meal at BK with onion rings instead of fries is less than 500 calories. I treat myself to one every once in a while. Also you can leave off the top of the bun for even less cals.