Am i doing this right?

Options
Okay without going into long story lol, i have been on journey since mid june 2013 and been here on mfp for few months now.
For the past two weeks i have been doing strength training with personal trainer who seems good. However i am having days of extreme discomfort often after a training day. Today i can barely get down stairs and sitting down and getting up is a painful exercise as the muscles top thighs are burning :noway: Im hoping this is just going to be this bad for maybe another week or so and then when my body is used to new routine the discomfort and mild pain will gradually diminish :happy: But now im wondering if i should feel this bad at all or am i being pushed too hard? i still have around 30kg to lose and have lost almost 40kg since june, and 13kg of that since joining here in October.

Replies

• KaylaBushman
    Options
    Muscle soreness is pretty normal during strength training.

I look forward to being super sore, if I am not sore I know I need to push harder next time.

I am always sore the day after and even more sore the second day after, on the third day it starts getting better and then by the time I am healed its time to do it again.

Drink lots of water and remember to stretch. You will be more sore if you don't stretch.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    DOMS = Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. Can last 2 to 3 days after a hard workout. Not everyone feels the pain and it can definitely get better as your body gets used to exercising but will likely return when you try a new move or increase amount of weight lifted.

Be honest with your trainer and share your level of pain. Make sure you're doing proper stretches and ask about foam rolling (excellent for sore muscles). Some would tell you to push through but my personal opinion is - if you're sore enough so that you can't give it your all and possibly risk further injury with inproper form and balance, what is the point?! Rest and recovery are just as important to fitness/weight loss as eating right and exercising.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    "Extreme discomfort" that limits daily movements is a sign of over-training. I'm guessing you're doing too many sets per muscle group. If you're doing a bodypart split workout, ask your trainer to switch to a full-body workout or an upper / lower split.

By the way, soreness is a poor indicator of a good workout. Some get sore, some don't.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It gets better. The first few sessions are the worst
  • 2dare2dream
    2dare2dream Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the input folks, most helpful. i think i need to talk to trainer as this is just a little to extreme to have this much discomfort .