Heartrates???

Options
kshadows
kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
I have a HRM that I got several months ago. I know I have been out of shape and when I went running/jogging last week the thing beeped half the time because my HR was over the max that was programmed (180). Is this ok or do I need to be doing something different to balance my HR?

How do you know what is a good target HR when exercising? I'm 24, female and 170 lbs if that matters, and my goal is 135 lbs (which I weighed, this time 2 years ago)

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I don't have time for more than a glib answer, but the best thing to do is turn off the alarms.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    180 bpm isn't bad for running - I get pretty close to that most of the time. If you're not overly concerned about it (you're not monitoring bp for like high blood pressure history, no chest pains, light headedness, etc) then I'd just shut off the alarm as the above poster suggested.
  • taylor5042
    Options
    It seems like all the recommended "fat burning" heart rate zones are way too low.
    My max is about 186 but about 170 is my jogging rate. (Not a fast runner, but this is what I can maintain for longer distances).
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    The basic rule is that max is 220 - your age. So, 196 for you.

It's not perfect. But should be fine.

I'd imagine that you can re-configure it.

Your heart rate will decrease pretty quickly the more fit you get.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I used to run a lot (5-7 miles a day) and my heart rate was always in the 165-185 range - 165 on flat surfaces and 180 running up hills, and this was when I was in great shape. If you are just getting fit, I would say the 180 range would be normal if you are running at a good clip.

I have also always thought the heart rate charts were bogus and I did some research. They created the heart rate ranges using data from men who had had heart attacks in the past! Weird but so typical of how a lot of health information is derived and then becomes generally accepted.

I've read that using your perceived rate of exertion is a better way to gauge the intensity of your workout. And when I was at 165 bpm I felt good. At 180 and above, I felt like I was working really, really hard.

Incidentally, doing interval training will get you in good running shape much faster than running at one speed, so I would recommend doing some sprints and then recovering with a slow jog or even walking in between.
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I don't focus on heart rate because the formulas are more of a rule of thumb, and nothing hard and fast. When I get on an elliptical, the target heart rate zones feel too low (and thus too slow), unless I jack the resistance through the roof, and then I still end up ping ponging between what I want and the pace the machine wants in order to get my heart rate back to its suggested levels.

Heart rate, whether active or at rest is different for each individual.

The so called "normal range" for pulse rate at reset is between 60 and 100. I'm currently at the high end of the 50s at rest, so I guess I could claim 60 just to be normal.

Maximum heart rate rule of thumb is 220 - age. For me at age 37, that makes my maximum 183. Target heart rate for exercise is supposed to be 60 - 80% of the maximum. For my age, that range is 110 - 147.

I started running in June so I still consider myself a beginner, and I'm still overweight. I haven't checked my heart rate while running in months, but usually its around 160-180, and when I want to, I can push to 190. But then my approach is to go as fast as I can without having to slow down to catch my breath while racing, and then taper back to about 90% of that pace for regular training. So far my heart hasn't decided to explode. I don't know if my approach is good or bad. No amount of telling me otherwise will likely have much influence on how I manage my heart rate while running. What I do know is that this feels natural to me. I don't have heart or chest pains, so it seems fine. It sounds like you and others may be the same way. I say ignore the rule-of-thumb guidelines from machines and gadgets, turn off the alarms, and go with the flow.

If you are training one way, and think my way is radically different, and you attempt it and you have a heart attack as a result, I accept no responsibility. Consult a doctor or medical professional before making questionable changes to your exercise and eating habits.
  • ROBJ3411
    ROBJ3411 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    MAX HR are very specific to the individual.... Using the 220- your age as a predicted max is like saying a 6ft tall man should wear a size 11 shoe...very broad, very general and very inaccurate. My wife is 40 and her REAL max HR is 206. There are alot of very simple ways to determine your max HR. The easiest one from an Idiots Guide to HRM is to find a moderate hill and run up it as hard as you can for 4-5 times and the max HR you get is pretty close to your Max HR. You can also do a Modified Stress Test and extrapolate out to your MAX HR. Once you know that and your resting HR(real easy to measure) you can more accurately deterimine your effort(and your calories burned)....