Help please, I am at my wits end!!

Options
I have steadily lost 73lbs over the last 4 years or so when I decided to change my lifestyle and eat healthy. I was diagnosed with IBS about 24 years ago and have always had an issue with digestion and constipation. This year I was found to have multiple gallstones and am due to see the Surgeon General next week to find a way forward. Since my last really bad attack I am only eating fruit and veg, no dairy or eggs and no refined carbohydrates whatsoever and that seems to be helping my gallbladder, I do also have soya and Quorn produts. (I had some fresh salmon two nights ago and had a mild gallbladder attack). However, I am suffering with the most severe constipation, even taking two laxatives a night is not helping. I know this is due to the gallstones but ANY advice on this would be most welcome, particularly what the best foods are for this - especially foods that won't push my calorie count up too high. Thank you so much.

Replies

• Minoesh
    Minoesh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say, I am in the UK. :smile:
  • lizzie4015
    Options
    try dill pickles or the juice works for me
  • tessa681
    tessa681 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Get that gallbladder out, I had mine taken out this summer after several weeks of severe attacks on a weekly basis and I'm loosing weight, feel better and no more attacks! Those are HORRIBLE!!! Good luck to you!
  • dj_stevie_c
    Options
    All Bran for breakfast?

That usually helps me if I'm having a bit of trouble...

Edit: Oh wait, I missed the bit about refined carbs :s
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    prunes. only thing that helps me.
  • lrk93101
    lrk93101 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Prunes always do the trick for me
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Definitely get the surgery. I had similar problems, and while I lost a lot of weight (not eating anything at all with fat in it can do that!), I was miserable until after the surgery. Frankly, and without too much detail, you will find the surgery to help somewhat with the constitpation.

In the meantime, dried fruits really are helpful, as are fiber pills or powders (that you mix with water or juice). Without fat, you need all the fiber you can get to move things along.