Why does low carb work better then just eating whatever?

Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15897479 found that response to different macro percentages depended on insulin sensitivity.

"Insulin-sensitive women on the HC/LF diet lost 13.5 +/- 1.2% (p < 0.001) of their initial BW, whereas those on the LC/HF diet lost 6.8 +/- 1.2% (p < 0.001; p < 0.002 between the groups). In contrast, among the insulin-resistant women, those on the LC/HF diet lost 13.4 +/- 1.3% (p < 0.001) of their initial BW as compared with 8.5 +/- 1.4% (p < 0.001) lost by those on the HC/LF diet (p < 0.04 between two groups). These differences could not be explained by changes in resting metabolic rate, activity, or intake." (my italics)

So the right diet could be 50-100% more effective in terms of weight loss.

what is the difference in fat loss? could the difference here not be mostly water, due to glycogen store depletion, with the remained due to higher thermal effect of digesting the lower carb diet, in other words, water and less cals burned?

Why would the high carb group experience greater losses due to glycogen store depletion in the first instance?

True would expect that, I was looking at the second group, but then that same principle should apply.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    what is the difference in fat loss? could the difference here not be mostly water, due to glycogen store depletion, with the remained due to higher thermal effect of digesting the lower carb diet, in other words, water and less cals burned?

No. The authors could not explain the difference. They did all the body compositional analysis etc etc. There are a few studies like this, in one the people on the "wrong" diet did what you would expect in terms of weight loss for calorie deficit, but those on the "right" diet - eg low carb diet with insulin resistant subjects - lost more weight than could be explained by the energy balance. "Weight" factored in body composition.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3504183/ suggests it may be down to adherence over the long term, with insulin resistant participants less likely to adhere and lose weight on a LF-diet, but that shouldn't have impacted the shorter term study.

These were obese women of course, shirtless men need not apply.

Low carb eaters have glycogen reserves too :-)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mNYlIcXynwE

I've lost 50 pounds. I used to eat Atkins, but now my lifestyle is Paleolithic. Don't listen to anyone tell you that all calories are created equal. Lower your carbs, increase your healthy fats & veggies. You will lose weight. Wheat bread spikes your blood sugar just like a piece of candy will. Add me on myfitnesspal if you have any questions!

Not unless you are diabetic. I have lost nearly 80 pounds without eliminating *any* food from my diet. Also, you are confusing the word "calorie" with the word "nutrient."
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2005.79/pdf is the full paper.

Regardless of the why, you wouldn't want to be put on the wrong diet for your insulin sensitivity.

https://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1743-7075-5-14.pdf is again obese diabetics, the controls from the early stage switched to low carb after the first 6 months to get the better results. It may well not be exactly isocaloric, isoprotein or iso-anything else but it shows obese diabetic humans doing better on low carb than low fat, for whatever reason. Outcomes matter, don't they ?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I've lost 50 pounds. I used to eat Atkins, but now my lifestyle is Paleolithic. Don't listen to anyone tell you that all calories are created equal. Lower your carbs, increase your healthy fats & veggies. You will lose weight. Wheat bread spikes your blood sugar just like a piece of candy will. Add me on myfitnesspal if you have any questions!

protein causes insulin spikes too ..should I avoid that? You might find this link interesting http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

I have eaten all the foods that you avoid and maintain 11% body fat.

you lost 50 pounds because of calorie deficit not because of eating paleo...
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    That's what works for me also. Plenty of people will say calories in/calories out. I'm not going to argue with them about it, I know what works for me. Everyone is different.

no, everyone is not different. The laws of thermodynamics and math apply to all of us. There are no special snowflakes that can eat more than they burn and lose weight.

Again, if low carb helps you create a calorie deficit, great…but don't go around saying that it is not calories in vs calories out bc that is wrong and confuses people.

Nowhere in my statement did I say it's "not calories in/calories out". I said I know what works for me.

And yes, everyone is different. In my case I had gestational diabetes and family history of type II diabetes at 40+ - which is exactly where I am. Reduced carb DOES work for me for those reasons. :wink:

so you eat more than you burn and still lose weight?

Even diabetics lose weight in a calorie deficit…so I do not understand what you are trying to say. Are you saying that eating more than you burn works for you and you lose weight?

And yes if you have a medical condition that makes you sensitive to carbs then cutting carbs would assist..

I guess I forgot my disclaimer which is that "this assumes no underlying medical condition"

So you are saying that someone who is sensitive to carbs, defies the law of thermodynamics, and they are indeed a 'special snowflake'?
    In that case, if they ate at a 500 calorie deficit on both diets, that they could possibly lose more weight on a low carb diet than on a high carb diet? Eating the same number of calories, just different macros?

No, I am saying that if you are sensitive to carbs due to a medical condition then cutting them out makes sense. However, at the end of the day it is still calories in vs calories out. Unless you are claiming that a Diabetic can eat over maintenance and still lose weight?

No, I am claiming that a Diabetic can eat the SAME number of calories, in different macro percentages, and lose different amounts of weight. This has been shown to be the case in numerous controlled studies.

good, then we agree. It all boils down to calorie deficit.

Not sure where the disconnect is with you on here. Let's try it as simple as possible.

According to the study done in a link posted earlier-

One group eats 1500 calories on a high carb/low fat diet. Loses some weight.
    Another group eats 1500 calories on a low carb/high fat diet. Loses MORE weight.

Before you say it is water weight, the study shows that both groups lost the same percentage of fat over several weeks time.

You have stated that people with underlying medical issues have different results, but you won't admit that they would lose weight more easily on a low carb diet, but still within the same calorie level.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Bloat, water weight, sugar crash makes you eat more later, unless you weigh Carb portion estimates can be way out.

So basically Low carb does less things that can dishearten you or make you fail.

Yep, for me eating carbs is like taking on little sponges. I swear that if I drink a pint of beer (which weights 1lb) I gain 3lb.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15897479 found that response to different macro percentages depended on insulin sensitivity.

"Insulin-sensitive women on the HC/LF diet lost 13.5 +/- 1.2% (p < 0.001) of their initial BW, whereas those on the LC/HF diet lost 6.8 +/- 1.2% (p < 0.001; p < 0.002 between the groups). In contrast, among the insulin-resistant women, those on the LC/HF diet lost 13.4 +/- 1.3% (p < 0.001) of their initial BW as compared with 8.5 +/- 1.4% (p < 0.001) lost by those on the HC/LF diet (p < 0.04 between two groups). These differences could not be explained by changes in resting metabolic rate, activity, or intake." (my italics)

So the right diet could be 50-100% more effective in terms of weight loss.

did I misread this or was this only a study of nine obese woman ...N=9???? that seems like a pretty small sample size...
  • tinatw
    tinatw Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies you lot, didn't expect so many but yeah!...lol

I'm starting to think that different diets suit different people! all I know it that I feel less tired when I cut back on carbs and my tummy feel's less chubby. And with out being rude, my friends that eat thing's like rivita and snack a jacks all days long seem to never be able top lose weight yet I'll be eating thing's like chicken and stilton sauce and strawberries with double cream and even though I'm not to my goal weight of 8 stone exactly (I'm only 5'2) I never ever go over 8 and half stone perhaps thats bcos the protein fill's me up and I eat less without realising...who knows! I think I'm just going to stick to low calories, cut back the carbs in the week and eat whatever I want at the weekend and see how it goes!

Thanks again everyone
    x
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    That's what works for me also. Plenty of people will say calories in/calories out. I'm not going to argue with them about it, I know what works for me. Everyone is different.
    Yes, this!!!!
  • tinatw
    tinatw Posts: 11
    Options

thank you :-) that's really helpful!
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I used to eat Atkins, but now my lifestyle is Paleolithic

Do you poop in the woods and not shave? I know a couple women like that. Fun gals.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Your body normally uses carbs as energy. When you cut your carbs your body goes into a state of ketosis and essentially reprograms its self to burn fat for energy instead of carbs. That is why you loose weight faster on low carb diets than low fat /low cal diets. As far as your appetite. Low carb tends to have highers amounts of protein and protein is slower to digest and helps you feel fuller longer.
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options

no, everyone is not different. The laws of thermodynamics and math apply to all of us. There are no special snowflakes that can eat more than they burn and lose weight.

Again, if low carb helps you create a calorie deficit, great…but don't go around saying that it is not calories in vs calories out bc that is wrong and confuses people.

This. There's nothing wrong with carbs.
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    If your a woman watching carbs sure makes you look better!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2005.79/pdf is the full paper.

Regardless of the why, you wouldn't want to be put on the wrong diet for your insulin sensitivity.

https://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1743-7075-5-14.pdf is again obese diabetics, the controls from the early stage switched to low carb after the first 6 months to get the better results. It may well not be exactly isocaloric, isoprotein or iso-anything else but it shows obese diabetic humans doing better on low carb than low fat, for whatever reason. Outcomes matter, don't they ?
    Thank you. I respond extremely well to eating LCHF and it's not just a matter of preference and adherence for me. I haven't been diagnosed with anything but prior to going low carb I had incidences of hypoglycemia which would indicate some sort of problem with sugar control. The study perfectly mimics my experience switching to low carb.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Your body normally uses carbs as energy. When you cut your carbs your body goes into a state of ketosis and essentially reprograms its self to burn fat for energy instead of carbs. That is why you loose weight faster on low carb diets than low fat /low cal diets. As far as your appetite. Low carb tends to have highers amounts of protein and protein is slower to digest and helps you feel fuller longer.

NO, that is all I got...

I agree with protein making your feel more satiated but that is it.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    If your a woman watching carbs sure makes you look better!

so low carb only positively affects females? That is a new one...
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    When I did low carb I looked and felt like crap. My energy level suffered and I got sick a lot.

Do what works for you... Balance happens to work for me and that balance includes carbs of all kinds.