Help Please...

Options
Hello!!!

I recently embarked on a lifestyle change (I refuse to say diet - it's bad luck for me!!!).
I lost a shocking 8lbs in the first week but not sure if I'm doing something wrong as the scale hasn't changed in the last 4 days... HELP!!!

I'm following the 1200 kcal/day as advised by myfitnesspal and I've been exercising every day... approx. 2 hours of moderate cardio split into 2 sessions.

I feel great!!! I don't feel like I'm tired or exhausted at the end of the day... I'm eating healthy foods and snacking on fruit and raw carrots in between meals so I don't 'dip' and grab something silly if I get too hungry. Plus, my snacking seems to be keeping my cravings at bay!!

Perhaps I should add that I'm 5ft 9in and currently 13st 8lbs so WELL into the overweight BMI - I'm 28.1 so moving in the right direction but a long way to go yet before I'm comfortably in the 'healthy zone'!! My body has plenty of fat to keep it going which is why I'm not terribly scared by the 8lbs as the changes I made were drastic compared to how I ate and basically sat on my *kitten* before.

Thing is... I don't want to put myself into this so-called 'starvation mode' by eating my 1200kcal or below ( I NEVER go below 1,100) but I'm also burning approx 1,500kcal/day through exercise.

Any advice on my current status would be appreciated! I'm enjoying my new routine but don't want to do myself harm or not lose weight.

Thanks!!!!!

Replies

• broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    The first 5-10 pounds will come off quick. You are burning more than you are taking in. Figure out your TDEE and BMR and dont eat below your BMR. I am no expert but I dont think people need to burn 1500 calories to lose weight. I am losing pretty steady and I workout 30 minutes a day 3-5 times a week and net around 1500-1800 calories a day. It will stay off longer if you lose it slower.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    All diets (yes, I said it) start with a big loss due to water loss. Rock on and enjoy the kick start. A net 1200 calories will not likely put you in starvation mode. Stick to the MFP plan, manage your net calories and watch your weight loss average out over time to the goal rate you have set. This means a loss graph with a sawtooth look to it, ups and down and plateaus. Expect it and don't get discouraged if you don't lose 8 pounds in a week anymore.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

I recently embarked on a lifestyle change (I refuse to say diet - it's bad luck for me!!!).

Simply from saying diet is bad luck means you have been on them.. then you know eating 1200 calories a day and exercising everyday is probably not something your going to keep up with for your life.. so its really a thing your trying to lose weight and not a lifestyle change..

I would also suggest figuring out your TDEE and take a percentage off from that (you can search this forum and find lots of info) and really make the change.. You can do what your doing since as you said you have a bit to lose, but most people dont sustain what your doing.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you lost a lot of water weight in the first few days and now your body is adjusting. Try not to worry about it. You're going to see weeks without a loss or even a slight gain every now and again. It's all part of the wonders of dieting!
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating your cal burns, are you eating back exercise cals?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Your initial 8 lb. loss was a one-time thing–mostly water & glycogen. From here on out, a healthy loss is no more than 2 lbs. per week. Don't panic, be patient. Your weight will fluctuate day to day, and throughout the day. All that matters is a general downward trend.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My advice: Toss the scale and get a tape measure (or keep a reference pair of pants just for trying fit.) I've had months where my measurements dropped but my weight stayed constant. This especially applies if you're resistance training.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Your initial 8 lb. loss was a one-time thing–mostly water & glycogen. From here on out, a healthy loss is no more than 2 lbs. per week. Don't panic, be patient. Your weight will fluctuate day to day, and throughout the day. All that matters is a general downward trend.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

What she said...along with...

Weight loss will take time. Patience will need to be your best friend. More things for you to read.

Read this...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=short+sweet+<span class=

And most definitely read this!!!
    http://www.vicmagary.com/blog/fitness-motivation/#comment-10883
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

^This. OP is pure awesomeness. Pay special attention to the part about weighing and measuring everything you consume.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I would actually suggest you calculate your TDEE. There are lots of calculaters on the interwebz. Then subtract ~20%.

The others are right, the first loss is usually pretty big because your body is getting rid of excess water. After that it will slow down. Better to lose slow and keep it off than crash diet, not be able to maintain what you are doing and end up gaining it back. Thats just my two cents though.
  • johnny7625
    Options
    it's a process the first week you loose more then little by little just keep going you will get there.
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My advice is not to weigh in daily if it will bother you when the number doesn't move because that is exactly what happens. Your #s will go up & down all week long, its the main reason I only weigh in on Fridays because the fluctuations would drive me nuts. Do your measurements & do them regularly, I do mine monthly. When the scale isn't moving you will def see it through your measurements & how your close fit. My first week (almost a year ago) I lost 7lbs, the next about 2lbs, the 3rd wk 1ish. I couldn't figure out what was happening. Then I went back over my food diary & realized it was my sodium intake. I had gone over on my sodium the day before weigh in so all the water was being held in. The following week & every week after I made sure the two days prior to weigh in is under my daily sodium req & sure enough week 4 I lost 5lbs. Sodium is a huge factor for me so I have to watch it closely.

But like others have said, a normal weight loss per month is 3-4lbs, so weekly that works out to be a pound or less so don't have high hopes that you will see 5lbs every week but it won't happen. You should prepare yourself for this right from the start because there will come times when it barely moves or stays the same but regardless its to be celebrated, as long as the number doesn't go up you are doing great!

Good luck on your new lifestyle (btw I hate the word diet too lol). Feel free to add me if you like :-)
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    You burn 1,500kcal per day?! What kind of cardio are you doing, may I ask?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    It has been 4 days. Normal bodyweight flucuations could easily be at play. Wait a few weeks and continue tracking to see if you dont have a downward trend.
  • GeminiBridget
    GeminiBridget Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You're on the right track. Be patient. Remember, you didn't gain the weight quickly, and the loss won't be a quick fix. Also, try weight lifting and strength training.

Good luck on you new lifestyle. Embrace the change! :)
  • Loz8815
    Loz8815 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I appreciate it's not something I will keep up for life... the reason I said lifestyle change and not diet is because whenever I've done it before I've always done a half-arsed job of dieting and no exercise. Then boredom creeps in on a night and I would 'cheat'. Plus, I've never had much motivation. I have a heart condition which now means I HAVE to make a lifestyle change, lose weight and KEEP IT OFF. While I'm still pretty active I'm getting in the exercise now to A. kickstart the weight loss (as advised by my doc) and B. improve my fitness.

Thanks for all the advice... will look into the TDEE, not look at the scales too often and stay motivated !!!

I've not felt this good in years so I know its doing something!

My activities include the stationery bike, wii, elliptical and walking the dog an hour a day.