If you workout at 5am.....

Options
Do you eat or drink coffee before your workouts? Right now I just chug a bottle of water on the way to the gym but I've been getting really tired and slow to "warm up". I really don't think I could eat that early...but coffee?

Replies

• Bettyanne77
    Options
    I read that fasted cardio is great for fat loss the only thing they said was to have a cup of green tea prior to working out as it helps you burn even more fat. I have started doing that but I can't say if it works yet.
  • acaudill042106
    acaudill042106 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I LOVE green tea with lime! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'll do a little coffee and part of a stinger. Or maybe half a gu with caffeine in it, and make sure I'm well hydrated.

I tend to not eat breakfast until about 11am though.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I don't eat or drink anything (other than water) beforehand, makes me feel gross.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Nothing......
  • sugarkissprincess
    sugarkissprincess Posts: 2,595 Member
    Options
    I only drink water before and after my workouts in the morning. I eat and drink my coffee when I get to work @ 8 :)
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Do you eat or drink coffee before your workouts? Right now I just chug a bottle of water on the way to the gym but I've been getting really tired and slow to "warm up". I really don't think I could eat that early...but coffee?

How does one eat coffee? :huh:
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    When I workout early (5AM runs or 4 to 6 miles a couple of times a week), I don't generally eat or drink anything.

If I am doing a longer run that early, I will typically have something light to eat (a yogurt or half a power bar) and something to drink (tea or water) about 20 minutes before I start the workout.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not even if I run... I just can't workout with anything in my belly (except some H2O).
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Nothing before. Water during. Breakfast after.
  • DeputySox
    Options
    I have a cup of coffee before I head out to run and/or lift.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I might sip on some water, but other than that, I don't eat or drink anything before my morning workout.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I get to the Gym at 6:00. If I am lifting I will have some protein and Carbs about 30 minutes before. If I am doing Yoga, or light cardio, do not eat first.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been eating an egg with a chicken sausage and a cup of kale. Takes about 3 minutes to cook while im making a smoothie for post gym.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I do eat something typically. I have pumpkin bars that I make that are pretty light but just enough to give me something to go on.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options

How does one eat coffee? :huh:

I guess if it's really really strong to the point it has the consistency of pudding?

Or frozen?
  • acaudill042106
    acaudill042106 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    LOL! Espresso beans are delicious!
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I eat some kind of protein bar and drink a Monster drink on the drive to the gym (about 5-10 minutes from home).
  • AHASRADA
    AHASRADA Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before my workout, but I do guzzle a liter of water by the time I've finished! I follow my workout with some coconut water, and protein powder mixed with kefir. I have my actual 'breakfast" a couple of hours later (an egg, oatmeal and a piece of fruit).

If you are feeling like you need to eat prior to exercising, why not try a protein shake?
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I make the trip up the stairs to my workout room between 4 and 5 am with a glass of diet coke on the rocks and the bottle for a refill, and I try to grab a few sips every 10 minutes or so depending on the intensity of my workout. For me, it provides the needed caffeine fix and hydration at the same time. My first calories of the day come from a 130 calorie skinny or light drink from Starbucks. I don't typically eat anything until lunch around 11:30 or so.