Worst Fruits in Calories to avoid

Options
Can anyone tell me which fruits & vegetable should be avoided and which should be consumed most often?
I understand bananas and potatoes are the worst...any others?
What are the best???

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Assuming no medical conditions, allergies, intolerances, etc. any fruit or vegetable can be part of a healthy diet as long as it fits in your calories and macros.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I avoid no fruits and vegetables due to calories. I avoid certain vegetables because they are icky.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Assuming no medical conditions, allergies, intolerances, etc. any fruit or vegetable can be part of a healthy diet as long as it fits in your calories and macros.

I agree. There's a few that are higher in carbs/calories you might want to limit if they don't fit your goals, but they all have nutritional value - there's no non-medical reason to avoid any fruits or vegetables. In fact, the more you can work into your calorie and macro goals, the better. Make your goal to eat a full rainbow every day if you can.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    As said, all are OK if no medical condition and fit into your calorie count

I avoid grapefruit because it mucks up my medication, and I avoid avocado because not too keen on them, and for the calories I would rather eat more of something else
  • riginthering
    Options
    I think what you're looking for is "coconut and avocado" because those two have the highest amount of calories/fat. However, as others have said, they serve their nutritional purpose. Avocados are actually kind of amazing, if you're in to that kind of thing.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me which fruits & vegetable should be avoided and which should be consumed most often?
    What are the best???

Some fruits have more fructose than others so you need to be careful of how much you eat of those fruits... keeping your sugar to 10 percent of your calories will solve that problem.

Fructose is NOT metabolized as glucose is and is converted to fat!

Joanne Moniz
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    I avoid bananas and potatoes because they raise my sugar levels. Eat what you like. Oh and I avoid yogurt because it makes me gag. No kidding
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

^^^This exactly!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables are awesome and should be a part of your daily diet. They are some of the best things you can eat.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    A variety of fruits and vegetables is good for nutritional balance. I wouldn't avoid any of them....

C'mon, it's fruit. Think about this logically, in a big picture sense. Is any fruit really bad enough to necessitate avoiding it completely? I can understand avoiding trans fats, or fried food, or nutella, or even brownies....but FRUIT? nope nope nope.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Beats....avoid beats....yuck
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    What are the best???

Some fruits have more fructose than others so you need to be careful of how much you eat of those fruits... keeping your sugar to 10 percent of your calories will solve that problem.

Joanne Moniz

Uhhhh.....
    777692-fig3.jpg
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/777692_3
  • PostiveThinker
    PostiveThinker Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love the "eat a rainbow" everyday. Good advice! I keep my banana intake down because of the calorie count but I do love them in my smoothies. I usually put 1/3 of a frozen banana and then my greens with one other type of fruit. I love avocados, and I've read because of the nutrients and it containing the "good fat" that you should eat half an avocado a day. I have started putting them in my smoothies and now I want one in there everyday! It just makes it so rich and creamy! So if you don't like avocados by themselves, try blending them and see if you like them better. My fav smoothie is: kale, bok choy, avocado, small orange or cutie, 1/3 frozen banana. I think it's delicious!

If you're on facebook check out the page for "Eat Your Medicine". They post a lot of great info regarding what a variety of fruits and vegetables do for you. I get a lot of great ideas of what to add to my daily menu and maybe some new ideas of something to try. Check it out!

Last comment: As a whole, I stay away from starchy vegetables like white potatoes and corn. Sweet potatoes or yams have so much flavor without anything added and have a lot going for them nutritionally too.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, do NOT eat lima beans. They are disgusting.

Any other fruit of veggie (barring a medical condition) is fine.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Bananas are not "worst" they do have more calories than an apple or orange, but that doesn't make them bad. They also have a lot of potassium, and can help fuel a workout.

Assuming you have no medical conditions that would indicate otherwise, as long as you make room for it in your macros and calorie limits, you can eat what you want. Including bananas, potatoes, or even brownies.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What are the best???
    What are you trying to accomplish?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

Fruit is good for you and it is a very minor source of fructose for most people. Whole fruits are combined with fiber and contain very little fructose compared to other foods and processed fruit juices. The big sources tend to be refined sugar and high-fructose corn syrup. A breakfast drink such as glass of orange juice has around 65 grams of fructose while an apple has about 11 and a cup of strawberries only has 4 grams .

It should also be noted that while fructose is more easily turned into fat you're talking about very very minor differences. Most of it is converted to useful energy for the body.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What are the best???

Joanne Moniz

This is not true... it's converted into glucose by the liver.. Only exceed calories convert into fat.. having a banana won't make you fat.

OP, weight loss is about calories.. just eat fruits that meet your nutritional needs.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    What are the best???

Joanne Moniz

You're so full of.... misinformation.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    What are the best???

Joanne Moniz

tumblr_ma1n09NVIL1qap72po1_500.gif

edited to add an actual non snark answer: as stated, unless you have a medical reason to limit sugar, theres really no need to avoid any fruits. just make them fit into your caloric allowance and you'll be good to go! healthy caloric deficit is really all you need to lose weight.