couch to half marathon

Options
I use to really enjoy running and I have deffenitly gotten out of shape and running is a bit tough for me now and I do want to get back into running. I was looking around on the internet and I found a couch to half marathon for begginers. I'm wondering is anyone has done something like this and would like to share their expierence with it.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/running/training-schedules/beginner-half-marathon-training-plan-2012/

then click download the training plan here

Replies

• wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to sign up just to see the training plan, so I'll ask a question..

the headline seems to imply 10 weeks of "couch" to 13.1

Is that really what the plan is?

That seems far to aggressive. One of the comments on the page you linked mentions that there is a 3 mile run in week 2... also too aggressive and begging for either burn out or injury.

I did couch to half marathon in 2012... 9 weeks of C25K, 8 weeks (I think) of Bridge to 10K and then I started in week 3 of a 12 week half marathon plan... 27 weeks from absolutely never having done any distance running in my life to a successful HM.

It is doable - just not realistically in 10 weeks from the couch.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked at the plan, but if the other poster is correct, it does seem too aggressive.

Is it possible? I guess, but your average half marathon plan is 12 weeks long, and that would assume a base of around 20 miles per week going into it. Truly going from couch to half mary in 10 weeks is asking for injury, or at the very least, a seriously unfun running experience.
  • SaraLady89
    SaraLady89 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You are right this program really wouldn't be feasible for somebody who could not run for a decent amount of time already. Therefore it is not properly named. I'm just more currious on other peoples expierenes and put the link in because I knew somebody was bound to ask for it.
  • SaraLady89
    Options
    I know it is going to be difficult but I am excited for a challenge. With the plan being pretty agressive I know that I will just have to listen to my body very carefully and maybe add in more rest days.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    OK, where are you starting from? What's your current maximum distance, and maximum time that you routinely run for? What type of sessions do you do, are you doing routine long slow or are you mixing up tempo and interval training?

I'd suggest that a 10K programme is probably more achievable with respect to avoiding injury, and actually enjoying it.

The point is not to punish yourself.
  • vinniesooner
    vinniesooner Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm old, and I've never been a runner. I hated running. I started a 1/2 marathon plan on Runkeeper. November 9th I could not run a 5K without walking. Tomorrow I will do my first ever 7 mile run. And in April, I'll be doing 13 miles. It is working and I even - GASP - look forward to each training run. I just follow it, push myself when I can, slow down when I have to, don't worry about how I look, and keep going. Good luck!
  • SaraLady89
    Options
    MeanderingMam-- My current maximum distance is about 2 miles in 26 minutes or so, after that I'm pretty pooped. I deffinatly mix up my tempo I will run for a while and then when I begin to get tired I'll move into a slow jog. That is a good suggestion maybe I'll look into a 10K first.

Vinniesooner- thank you so much for the encouragement.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I just training-plan jumped as I went. Started with a pre couch to 5k program that was mostly walking. Then did couch to 5k. Then did a 10k training plan. Now, I'm pretty stagnant while trying to decide whether or not to go further.

My experience was greatly improved, I think, by doing it this way.
  • SaraLady89
    Options
    ckspores- It makes sense to go up slowly. and congratulations on what you have achieved
  • icywindow
    icywindow Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar situation, started running in May of last year without having really run prior to that. It took about 2 months before I found that I could run 2-3 miles without stopping (hint, pace is the key). Your bones have to adjust to the impact, muscles and tendons too. I upped my mileage from about 15 miles per week in August to about 25 miles per week doing two a days in September (that was probably a bad life choice) and ran my first 5k at the end of the month. At the beginning of November, I ran a half marathon, pushing the mileage on the long run each week.

Based on your maximum mileage in a session, if I was in your shoes, I'd piggyback this program:
    http://halhigdon.com/training/50933/5K-Novice-Training-Program
    with this program:
    http://halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

That's 20 weeks, starts at about 6-8 miles per week and gets you up to 20-25 miles per week by the end. Also, you get to plan two 5ks and a 10k to get the race experience as motivation to continue or evaluate the plan.

Don't push too hard too fast. However! I do applaud you on pushing towards a goal - they help you to get up and run in the morning and put in the miles. :)
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    You could also use the plan below and divide all the numbers by two:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1096816-from-couch-to-marathon-in-3-days

In all seriousness, yes you can be ready in 10 weeks (my first half marathon was less than 2 months after my first 5k) but doing so is unnecessary and will increase your risk of injury.

My recommendation is to increase distance more slowly so that you can not only complete a half marathon (at a later date), but perform your best. In the long run avoiding injury is more important than increasing mileage at a faster rate.
  • SaraLady89
    Options
    Thank you for the links, and MinimalistSho yours made me laugh. It reminded me of the episode of how I met your mother where Marshal had been training for a marathon and Barney said he could do it without training when asked how his response was something like "A start running and B don't stop". I'm more likly to train for a 10K now and then from there a half marathon. THANKS EVERYONE