Calorie intake with Hypothyroidism

Options
2»

Replies

• maracuya23
    Options
    There is a slightly modified version of this test available as well that takes more like an hour. It's basically measuring how much CO2 you produce as a proxy for how quickly your metabolism is working. I went in fasted and very first thing in the morning, and they had me in a complete hood to capture everything I exhaled.

I had my test run at a university's exercise physiology lab. The researcher running my test mentioned afterwards that before TSH tests were available, doctors used to use the test I took as one way to diagnose hypothyroidism. If your RMR numbers are coming back drastically lower than a normal person, that's excellent evidence that you're undermedicated.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    There is a slightly modified version of this test available as well that takes more like an hour. It's basically measuring how much CO2 you produce as a proxy for how quickly your metabolism is working. I went in fasted and very first thing in the morning, and they had me in a complete hood to capture everything I exhaled.

I had my test run at a university's exercise physiology lab. The researcher running my test mentioned afterwards that before TSH tests were available, doctors used to use the test I took as one way to diagnose hypothyroidism. If your RMR numbers are coming back drastically lower than a normal person, that's excellent evidence that you're undermedicated.

Exactly! And (just as an example of how diff hospitals/care groups are diff) mine was done in the regular appointment clinic using a portable machine w/mouthpiece. It's no longer cutting-edge science, so the instruments just keep getting smaller, which is good news for everyone involved.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have been hypo pretty much all my life, diagnosed as a child and fighting to control my weight all this time and finally have it pretty well under control. Find it strange that thru all of these years and struggles neither my GP or Endo doctors have ever mentioned these tests that seemingly could have helped me at least understand how much I really should be consuming for my body. I will be asking the next time I go in though :)
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    one thing with this condition we need to eat lower than other people
    the rest depends on your height and Cw and age

I agree - If try to stay around 1200 cals a day I don't lose much past the first week. I also have to stay away from starches aka carbs in general to lose consistently and follow a higher protein/low carb plan and then only do I lose consistently or at least much better than just doing a 1,200 cal plan.

It's very frustrating - I think you just have to experiment and see what works for you.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    One thing my doctor told me is that my vitamin absorption may not be as good as someone who does not have a problem with their thyroid. I take a vitamin D supplement and try to eat at least a few brazil nuts a day (for selenium). I find I lose slower than the "norm" but am still losing using MFP calculations.

This is interesting because I am always very low (as in deficient) in Vit. D and B's. My dr. checks me reguarly for this and I also take supplements and whether I take supplements or not - my numbers always are deficient. I have some sort of absorbtion issue but never knew that was related to low thyroid.
  • staycfitz
    Options
    I have had Hypo for 20 years and it has been a struggle I have started my weight loss journey in Oct, 2013 and I have a 1200 calorie intake and for most part have tried to burn half if not more at gym. giving myself 1 or 2 days off. I have lost 20 but still have 40 to go. It can be done.... it needs lots of dedication and you have to want it... It also helps to have friends with same goals to help So if any of you want to friend me we can work together :)