Running every day?

Options
I am running a 5k in the beginning of May and I am in my fourth week of the C25K program (Still only running on week two though). That program has you run only three times a week, and since running is currently my main form of exercise, I think I'd like to up that to 4-5 times a week.

I think my body can handle it-- I'm not sore after workouts (which probably means I'm not pushing myself hard enough) and I am running farther each workout. It's only a 30 minute/day program, so I don't think it's too extensive, but I wanted to run it by the MFP crowd.

Running 4-5x week? Good idea?

Replies

• Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Stick to the program, running is a high impact exercise and if you try too much too soon you're at serious risk to injury. Trust me, I've had shin splints and plantar fasciitis and they're not fun.

Edit:
    If you're looking for a supplemental workout maybe try some core, upper body, or weight lifting exercises. You can do legs too, just try something lower impact.
  • srammels
    srammels Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did a similar program last year and am working towards a half now. Stick to the running plan. Add core and weights. The more muscle you build the easier running becomes. As you start to run more often, longer and increase distance these muscles will be even more important. Common running rule (although controversial) is to only increase mileage by 10% each week.

"Multiple studies show that regular strength training can improve running economy-how efficiently the body uses oxygen-by as much as eight percent, translating into greater speed and more muscle endurance. And it makes sense for runners to focus on their most important body part—their legs. (Runners World)"

http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/strength-training

I also encourage you to find your local running store. They will have experts available for any and all questions, as well as informational clinics, running groups, and great support! Good luck!
  • lorripie77
    lorripie77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you are only on week 2. I ask this cause if you are following it correctly you should be able to move on week by week, even if in your head you think you cant run for 3 mins you probably can! Im on week 5 about to run 20 mins solid and it seems impossible but im going to trust that the preparation up to now has worked and ill be able to do it.
    good luck x