2»

Replies

• Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Aurugula with fresh orange sliced, nuts and parmesan cheese or goat cheese;
    carrots sliced with corn and balsamic vinegar;
    spinach with feta cheese and slices fresh mushrooms

those are just a few of my favourites :)
  • lowfatveg
    lowfatveg Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Water cress is nice instead of lettuce if your looking for something green to add to your salad
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    HEy there,

If you don't like lettuce or spinach, I think you're just not a salad person. BUT maybe you could eat cooked veggies instead. What about roasted sweet potatoes and beets or grilled zuchini, eggplant, etc. You could cook up a bunch and eat those as a salad instead.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I love making a "Chipotle" restraunt salad - you can layer all sorts of things. My fav is a layer of rice, then black beans, then bell pepper/onion mix, then pico, then chicken or steak, shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole, and lettuce. They put salsa/hot sauce on it too so you don't even use dressing. You can modify this any way you want using veggies, etc., and it is always delicious!

I also was not fond of lettuce but started having the mixed green lettuce and then put walnuts, orange, feta or goat cheese, craisins, and spray with the raspberry vinegrette dressing. It's very tasty and you can also cut up a chicken breast too.
  • michelelightlecoggins
    Options
    I like raw cabbage with shredded carrots, and onion in it and just a little bit of a spicy ranch dressing.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • faeriecake
    faeriecake Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I eat raw food for breakfast and lunch, so I've gotten pretty creative with my salads. some of my favorites (sorry nothing is exact, i kinda make things up as I go along so I don't have any written recipes):

"massaged" kale salad
    - 1 tsp olive oil, half of the juice of a lime, some salt and pepper, and a huge handful of kale put into a plastic bag. squeeze out all the air and mush it up until the kale is softened. (you can also mash it with a wooden spoon in a bowl, but this way is faster. Either way, kale is really tough unless you soften it up). add a sprinkling of parmesan cheese if you wish, tomatoes, almonds, roasted garlic, olives, chickpeas, zucchini, carrots, salad greens, whatever you want. I usually go with tomatoes, almonds, and chickpeas.

asian inspired slaw:
    -combination of: handful of cabbage, diced mango (also pretty good with pineapple), shredded carrots, tofu or grilled chicken if you'd like, cucumbers, avocado.
    for the dressing: splash of soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of lime juice or rice wine vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon of sugar or honey, and about a 1/4 inch piece of fresh ginger, finely grated. toss it all up, then toss it with your veggies (except avocado if using). let it sit for about 15 minutes at least and then enjoy!

pesto "pasta" (this requires a spiralizer if you have one, but you can also just peel a zucchini with a peeler into long ribbons
    -spiralized zucchini so its into noodle strands
    - tomatoes
    - spinach or salad greens
    - chicken if you wish,
    for the pesto: i make my own low fat pesto with about 2 big handfuls of basil, juice and zest of 1 lemon, 1/4 cup raw or toasted (not salted) almonds, and salt and pepper. i add about 1 to 2 tablespoons of water and 1 teaspoon of olive oil. whirr it all up in a blender.
    i just toss 1 or 2 spoonfuls of pesto in with the zucchini noodles and then add everything else. i store the remaining pesto in the fridge, it lasts for a few days and goes great in anything!