How do you curb cravings?

Options
I'm the kind of person that lives to eat and I just love food. The thing is, I don't eat because I'm hungry, I eat because I just really want to eat. I always ruin my diet late at night which is usually when I get cravings, or when my mouth gets bored so I find myself wanting to eat something.

How do you curb these cravings? I know a lot of it is mental and I just have to try to stop myself, but that's way easier said than done. How do you distract yourself when this kind of thing happens?

Replies

• Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Keep a book with you. I find that reading for a few minutes usually wipes out my cravings.

Go for a walk....

Call a friend.....

Meditate.....

Do NOT:
    - see what fruits are in the fridge!
    - see what fiber bars are in the pantry!

Best!
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I chew gum, drink tea

This is not the healthiest cure and I never drank coffee before trying to lose weight but I find if I have a cup I am not hungry for hours
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    For serious... I eat a spoonful of mayo or something highly protein-ous.

It's not that many calories but high fat or high protein are very filling and stick with you. It works and keeps me in my macros and calorie goal.
  • sayoritidwell
    Options
    I chug two cups of water so that I get that full feeling! If you tend to always get cravings at night, maybe you could plan for that calorie wise and have some kind of low calorie treat at night, that way you have something yummy to look forward to at the end of your day!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You might want to look in to intermittent fasting (IF) eating schedule. Basically the concept is that you eat all your calories within a specified window of time, generally 8-14 hours, and fast the remaining hours of the day. This allows you to eat fewer, larger meals, and trains you not to eat outside your window. The larget meals give you greater satiation, which helps curb the need to snack.

Leangains is my preferred method of IF, but there are other options.