I Don't Want To Get Too Big

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    To be honest, you really needn't worry about specific muscles getting "bigger".

Honest.

You are not a special snowflake and what is in that article that I linked is applicable to everyone, all the time. The end.

For you to be gaining muscle and getting "bulky" you have to be eating a whole damn lot and doing a solid weight training plan consistently and even at that it STILL wouldn't happen that easily. Especially as a woman.

Your ticker says that you still have 25lbs to lose which means you should be eating at a deficit and that makes it pretty much impossible to gain muscle. Start a solid strength training routine (honestly at this point a strength or hypertrophy routine will not make a difference), just find one that you enjoy. Do some cardio if you like and eat at a deficit.

I promise that at the end this will get you the results you want. Honest.

THIS!! X1000
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    bump.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Bumping for my feed. Thanks!
  • kathrinnbauer
    kathrinnbauer Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. :smile:
    I am not overly worried now as am eating at a deficit (about 1200 net calories a day) and I am quite satisfied with the weight I lost so far as this is my primary goal so far. According to my balance I gained some muscle but it could be due to the lack of accuracy of the balance or some muscle gain that I read can take place in the first weeks but it won't be anything that I have to worry about now.
    But for later I am not sure. There many women that are not overly bulky or anything but for my very personal taste their obliquus muscles are too big and they have very little waist and I want to avoid this. And my shoulders are already that broad (esp. in relation to my hips) that I am afraid that even gaining just a little bit might be too much. I already look like a drag queen in certain clothes (and this is not only my opinion, I got this from others as well). I know I could ask that question later, but I got it in my head right now.
    And of course I know that I am not the one weird women that will look like a body builder without taking steroids or spending the whole day in the gym but I do tend to get really big (maybe not strong but big) muscles - at least bigger than what I want aroung my shoulders and waist.
    But yeah, right now it is all about losing weight the fastest and healthiest possible way. :smile:

To be honest, you really needn't worry about specific muscles getting "bigger".

Honest.

You are not a special snowflake and what is in that article that I linked is applicable to everyone, all the time. The end.

For you to be gaining muscle and getting "bulky" you have to be eating a whole damn lot and doing a solid weight training plan consistently and even at that it STILL wouldn't happen that easily. Especially as a woman.

Your ticker says that you still have 25lbs to lose which means you should be eating at a deficit and that makes it pretty much impossible to gain muscle. Start a solid strength training routine (honestly at this point a strength or hypertrophy routine will not make a difference), just find one that you enjoy. Do some cardio if you like and eat at a deficit.

I promise that at the end this will get you the results you want. Honest.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    It's super easy to get caught up in the "what will happen when...." thoughts. But really, this is not going to be a problem. And it's amazing how your body just naturally changes shape and things just look better as you lose fat and retain muscle mass. When you reach your goal weight, you will simply move into maintenance....that's it. If you don't want anything else to change in terms of your body shape, then you will stop progressing on lifts/cardio, etc and simply maintain your fitness level.
  • kathrinnbauer
    Options
    It's super easy to get caught up in the "what will happen when...." thoughts. But really, this is not going to be a problem. And it's amazing how your body just naturally changes shape and things just look better as you lose fat and retain muscle mass. When you reach your goal weight, you will simply move into maintenance....that's it. If you don't want anything else to change in terms of your body shape, then you will stop progressing on lifts/cardio, etc and simply maintain your fitness level.

Thanks! I hope you're right :)
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Bump cause I want to read more, and I am out of time.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options

^This
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    bump fpr later love lifting but dont want to become a bodybuilder already doing twice my weight on legs and hae had a few comments about looking bigger and spooked so info will be great because I am not stopping I love lfting too much.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    <----Wants to be bulky. Apparently its only easy for women that are dieting.

933.gif
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later reading
  • randomtai
    Options
    I wish my muscles would accidentally get too big. :grumble:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

933.gif

:laugh:
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    bump fpr later love lifting but dont want to become a bodybuilder already doing twice my weight on legs and hae had a few comments about looking bigger and spooked so info will be great because I am not stopping I love lfting too much.

Well, the article basically says to stop progressing in your case (because it's impossible is the main implication), then and just keep the same routine. I disagree, because I do think that what you might see in the beginning will not progress in a linear fashion at all. You'll get to a point where things don't look bigger without a ton of work, and your muscles might actually start to look smaller. That's about glycogen storage as far as I understand it.

It's hard to discuss, though, because I think what some women see is temporary 'swelling' for lack of a better word. Maybe someone else can describe it better, but I don't like the implication that no woman's muscles ever get bigger -- even temporarily -- when starting heavy weights. It's not new gains (except in certain more rare circumstances), but I don't understand why the phenomenon is so often skimmed over as impossible (for the person to be seeing). Maybe most people don't get muscle swell or whatever it's be called? Dunno.

My swell deflated after many weeks, though, and I'm sad. I'm glad I kept up heavy and continued to progress, because I'd be floored if my muscles 'went down' and my strength hadn't at least been increasing in the meantime :)
  • kathrinnbauer
    Options
    Thanks for the sarcasm. I am aware of the fact that I will not get as bulky as you want to be. But nevertheless there is the theoretical possibility that I end up being or seeming bulkier than what I consider beautiful on a woman's body. After starting resistance training my muscles look bigger, my balance tells me for some reason that I seemed to have gained muscle and I get mocked about once a year for having calves like a male football player, having a too pronounced quadriceps or whatever - and that was before I restarted exercising. Part of the women in my family seem rather bulky for being women. So yeah, I am worried that I might end up with more muscle or seeming bulkier than what I want to look like.

933.gif
  • randomtai
    Options
    Thanks for the sarcasm. I am aware of the fact that I will not get as bulky as you want to be. But nevertheless there is the theoretical possibility that I end up being or seeming bulkier than what I consider beautiful on a woman's body. After starting resistance training my muscles look bigger, my balance tells me for some reason that I seemed to have gained muscle and I get mocked about once a year for having calves like a male football player, having a too pronounced quadriceps or whatever - and that was before I restarted exercising. Part of the women in my family seem rather bulky for being women. So yeah, I am worried that I might end up with more muscle or seeming bulkier than what I want to look like.

933.gif

Keep your BF% high. Problem solved. :flowerforyou:

Also quotes go at the top, responses go towards the bottom. Less confusing that way. :flowerforyou:
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

And the trainer in my gym (years ago) told my that I would be rather successful if I started Olympic weightlifting because in his opinion I could easily gain the strength that is necessary for it.

Strength is not synonymous with muscle. My strength has skyrocketed, at the same time I am in a deficit. Because I am in a deficit, it is not because I added muscle. It is because my body is adapting to what I'm asking it to do and becoming stronger.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

933.gif

My post was not aimed at you but at the article and the many people that think they gain muscle "easily" even while dieting. I didnt even read any of the responses after reading the article.
  • kathrinnbauer
    Options

And the trainer in my gym (years ago) told my that I would be rather successful if I started Olympic weightlifting because in his opinion I could easily gain the strength that is necessary for it.

Strength is not synonymous with muscle. My strength has skyrocketed, at the same time I am in a deficit. Because I am in a deficit, it is not because I added muscle. It is because my body is adapting to what I'm asking it to do and becoming stronger.

Then I got the article wrong. (English is not my native language). I thought if he states that there aren't different types of muscles and that you can just gain or not gain, he meant that you just train your muscle and how you train will not change whether you gain more strength or more volume or whatever. He just referred to what the muscles look like?
  • kathrinnbauer
    Options

933.gif

My post was not aimed at you but at the article and the many people that think they gain muscle "easily" even while dieting. I didnt even read any of the responses after reading the article.

Then I got you wrong. Good that I did not react to impulsively then :wink: