Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Runners Question

There's all kinds of information out there about a runners form. I'm battling horrible shin splints. So much so that I am currently sporting a sexy limp. :ohwell: I've noticed that if I run more on my toes, the shins don't hurt nearly as bad. Anyone else have luck with running on your toes? I've read conflicting information on it. Just wondering what actual real people have to say about it.

I should note that I can currently run 3 miles. I usually can finish the first mile without shin issues. Once they start hurting, there's nothing I can do to slow it down. I got fitted for running shoes, I stretch and I take ibprohen prior to working out (per my doctors orders). I tried compression socks but one trip out in those and I had to strip them off mid run because the pain was so bad. Those things were awful. I am about 40 pounds overweight and I have mild rheumatoid arthritis.

I got lots of good feedback on the last post I made about running. I am currently signed up for a half marathon in April, you guys said that was too ambitious and guess what. You were right. :wink:

Replies

• pplf2001
    pplf2001 Posts: 133 Member
    When I get shin splints, it is usually because I need new shoes. Go to an actual running store to get fit tested rather than just buying a pair from sports authority/****'s sporting goods/whatever chain sports store is in your area.

Don't forget to take rest days. Your body needs time to recover from running.
  • First of all - I am not a pro...but a lot of my friends are. I had the same issues. They told me that I was starting out too fast. I slowed down my first mile/mile & a half. I also started only doing about 30 minutes of running 3 times per week - which included 5 min walking warm up and the first ten minutes a slow jog. Then only do my long runs on the weekend (fits my schedule better). After about 3 months they went away. However, I do think that it is different for everyone...just have to try different things to see what works best for you. If you are limping - that can't be good. Also strength building (weights) on off days.
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    I've been running for 15 months and have always run on the balls of my feet because I read that that is the best way to avoid injury and touch wood I haven't had any injuries yet other than an occasional niggle in my knee's when I first started. My long runs are 6/7 miles long and I'm slowly building them up for a half marathon in October. IMO a long slow build up of mileage is the way to go.Hope you get your shin splint issue sorted soon.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    As you've been properly fitted for running shoes, its probably your technique. If you heel land, lifting up your toes on every step combined with the impact will give you terrible shin splints.

The other common cause is running on treadmills at a constant gradient - again you're lifting your toes on every step.

Look up mid-foot landing - Chi running is a branded variant of that. Run outside as much as you can. If you have to use the treadmill, use it on the flat and only add in intervals on a gradient.

But first rest until the symptoms have gone. In the meantime, ice the front of your shins, take ibuprofen, and stretch your shin muscles by kneeling down and leaning back. Strengthen the muscle that run alongside your shins by kicking off your shoes and writing out the alphabet with your toes.

Please don't just run on your toes, you'll cause yourself all sorts of other injuries down the line.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Running on your toes is not the answer, for certain.

You said you can run three miles but didn't say how long you've been running or how often you run. What do you do on the days you aren't running?

In my experience, shin splints, especially among newer runners, are caused by one or more of three things:

1. Surface and cushioning: you have new shoes, which is good. You said you were fitted for them, which is even better. What surface do you run on? Avoid concrete as much as possible because it has zero give to it. Stick to asphalt, dirt, grass or a good running track.

2. Doing too much, too soon. Running needs to be built up gradually, very gradually. You should never increase your mileage by more than 10% each week. That means that if you ran a total of 9 miles last week (3 miles x 3 days) you shouldn't run more than 9.9 miles total this week and so on. That rule applies even to experienced long distance runners.

3. Not allowing enough time between runs. You shouldn't be running more than one day in a row. You should also not be doing anything high impact (30 day shred, jumping rope, etc.) on the days in between your runs. You need to give your shins and joints a chance to recover the day after. Instead choose an activity like lifting weights, biking, walking or swimming.

Stop running for a little bit and let your shins recover. Continuing to run when they are hurting so much is only going to make things worse. Stick to low impact activities for awhile and ice your shins whenever you have the chance. Once they start to feel better, start running again but build up slowly, don't jump back to three miles at a session and definitely don't run more often than three days a week.

Edited because I found errors in spelling. :)

Good luck!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Running on the balls of your feet is far better for your body in every way. Forget this buy better, special shoes nonsense, if you run on the ball of your feet and let your heel do no more than kiss the ground, you don't even need shoes and really can run wearing anything.

Shin splints is 100% a heel strikers problem (along with most other running injuries). Heel striking is a form 100% created by modern running shoes. Prior to modern running shoes, it was not possible to sustain heel striking form more than a very short distance.

Since switching to running on the ball of my feet (toes more or less), almost 2 years ago, all the aches and pains associated with running disappeared. My knees are never sore. My shins are never sore. My calves and feet are much stronger.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    +1 on what berry said......take time to heal.

You may also want to consider adding strength training to your regimen, there is a relationship between calf strength and shin splints.

http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/shin-splint-treatment-calf-strengthening/
  • mistyloveslife
    mistyloveslife Posts: 111 Member
    I am following a half marathon run app. It does the intervals where you run 2 minutes/walk 2 minutes. 3 times a week. To be honest, on my off days, I have been so tapped out by the run days that I haven't done much of anything. I've been ice skating and a few things like that but nothing in the gym. I have mostly been running on the treadmill at a zero incline to start. I have ran outside a few times in my neighborhood which is hilly. Hills definately make things go from bad to worse. I appreciate the advice from everyone.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Running on the balls of your feet is far better for your body in every way. Forget this buy better, special shoes nonsense, if you run on the ball of your feet and let your heel do no more than kiss the ground, you don't even need shoes and really can run wearing anything.

Shin splints is 100% a heel strikers problem (along with most other running injuries). Heel striking is a form 100% created by modern running shoes. Prior to modern running shoes, it was not possible to sustain heel striking form more than a very short distance.

Since switching to running on the ball of my feet (toes more or less), almost 2 years ago, all the aches and pains associated with running disappeared. My knees are never sore. My shins are never sore. My calves and feet are much stronger.

100% anecdotal and inaccurate. Shin splints happen to runner of all styles .... running on the balls of the feet is better for you but not everyone ... your "it worked for me so therefore it must work for everyone" approach doesn't help those who aren't you. Perhaps you should take a few minutes and brush up on the science that disagrees with you.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member

100% anecdotal and inaccurate. Shin splints happen to runner of all styles .... running on the balls of the feet is better for you but not everyone ... your "it worked for me so therefore it must work for everyone" approach doesn't help those who aren't you. Perhaps you should take a few minutes and brush up on the science that disagrees with you.

It is basic common sense, who cares what the Nike sponsored "science" says. Heel striking is only possible with modern running shoes. In no way shape or form can it be the correct way to run.

Shin splints are caused by torque applied to the shins from the rolling action. The exact same thing happens in the forearms with gymnasts and others that hand balance. If there is no rolling action there is no torque applied to the shins; with no torque application there is no possible way to get splints.

Some people's calve and feet muscles are too weak and atrophied to run on the ball of their feet (usually in combination with being too fat), in which case they are too weak to run period. Trying to fix the problem with shoes only makes it worse, it is akin to solving walking issues with a wheel chair.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I can only add I have Rheumatoid arthritis as well so I totally understand the extra concerns that we have to deal with. I'm only running 2-3 times(4-6 miles per run) a week right now because I'm on a bulk. Last year i think I ran close to 1200 miles in about 10 months running nearly every day.

One thing that can definitely combat the pain and swelling of RA is hitting the weight room as well. Squats, dead lifts with heavy weights have really added to the strength in my knee joints and a I rarely get swelling in my other legs joints every since.

Hills are good for the majority of runners as it adds speed to your times. Having RA you want to be a little more careful though than most runners. Uphill should be easier on you as your not stomping into your heel and jolting your knees/hips as much. Lift knees a little higher uphill. Downhill is where you have to take a shorter stride and keep your feet lower to the ground.

If you don't already stay away from concrete/sidewalks. It will pound all runners, but those of us with RA it can put a halt to any progress quicker. Grass and wood chip trails are going to be easier on your joints. I was able to run two half marathons on back to back days when part of the run was on grass/wood chips.

Also remember when taking any NSAIDs drugs either over the counter or prescribed that it does indeed lower the swelling but it also masks the pain. Sometimes the pain is the best thing for us with RA as it warns us quickly when we are doing something that is aggravating our joints most people wouldn't experience. I've been off all NSAIDS for over three years now, and its only helped me understand how to make the pain stay at a lower level.

Good luck.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member

It is basic common sense, who cares what the Nike sponsored "science" says. Heel striking is only possible with modern running shoes. In no way shape or form can it be the correct way to run.

Shin splints are caused by torque applied to the shins from the rolling action. The exact same thing happens in the forearms with gymnasts and others that hand balance. If there is no rolling action there is no torque applied to the shins; with no torque application there is no possible way to get splints.

Some people's calve and feet muscles are too weak and atrophied to run on the ball of their feet (usually in combination with being too fat), in which case they are too weak to run period. Trying to fix the problem with shoes only makes it worse, it is akin to solving walking issues with a wheel chair.
    I was going to type a long ,detailed, fact based reply but you've made it quite clear you don't care for details or fact. Luckily, intelligent people listen to their bodies and figure out what works for them ... they don't listen to your body and assume that because a technique worked for you it will necessarily work for them.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    When I started running about a year ago, I got shin splints. I did a lot of reading up on it and though I tried switching from heel striking to mid-foot striking, I'm still a heel striker. I found that I was just running too fast. When I slowed down, I felt so much better. I currently run between 4 and 4.5mph with no issues.
  • Reagan89
    Reagan89 Posts: 40 Member
    My personal trainer has told my to run on the balls of my feet as my calf muscles are really tight I also walk without my heels touching the floor lol
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member

This is complete BS.

The only time in my life I've ever had shin splints is when I was a gymnast in during my teen years. We were running vault (barefoot, forefoot strike since it was an all out run) on a concrete floor in the gym and practicing on the wood floor of the basketball court. I can assure you there was no heel striking involved in any of that and yet I was in massive pain every day despite icing after every practice and getting taped before. The only thing that fixed the pain was the off-season and then finally getting padding under the vault run and sticking to the mats for everything else. My shin splints were caused by the hard surface I was running on for short bursts, NOT heel striking.

Despite the fact that I've had shin splints in the past, so I know I'm subsceptible to them, and running in "regular" running shoes I've never had shin splints, or any other injury, since I started running 3 years ago.
  • Zurichman
    Zurichman Posts: 6 Member
    I use to be a serious racer so I will give some advise.

I use to get shin splints when I over trained. I saw a post that you said you were 30 lbs. overweight. I would recommend New Balance shoes(they have more cushioning) and call their 800 number to see what they recommend. If you can afford it go to the YMCA and do some water work outs. They actually make a water vest that you can run in place in the water. You can go online and find out how to tape for shin splints that will help some. Stay off the hills till you get better. If you had a nice golf course or some soft grass like a park close you could run on the grass to help out.

Rule of thumb is you can run a 1/2 marathon easily if you can run 3/4 of the distance at least once before the race. You do this 2 weeks before the ride. You do a 10% increase per week and do an easy week every 4 weeks.

Good luck