Hello World!

Options
This is not my first time in a forum, though it is my first time on a fitness forum. I am 29, out of shape, father of 3, and woefully unprepared should I ever have to run for my life. I do however have a wonderful supportive wife, and a marathon running, former Marine, police officer brother. But that wasn't what drove me to this site or community. It was the $20 bucks I put into the pot at work for our Biggest Loser competition. Skin in the game did something to me, and I want to win. I want to be able to run a 5K with my brother, and be an example for my children. All of these things, and it cost me a twenty to earn that initiative.
I am now about 2 weeks in and have lost just over 5 lbs. I'm not tracking anything else, like my neck or waist, though I have noticed that the second belt hole on my size 38 belt is a bit easier to get to. The first week saw me start eating clean and this second week was my break into exercising on a daily basis. I can't run a mile yet but once around the track didn't kill me. I'm interested to see where this leads...

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Welcome and it sounds like you are off to a great start. :smile:
  • annastasia_82
    annastasia_82 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    You've come to a great place. This is my first time on here and the outpouring of positive feedback is amazing and motivating in itself. It sounds like you are off to a great start.
  • pravinpm
    Options
    This is my first time I am joining a community of people with similar goals in being healthy.
    I have started doing insanity workout just since 5 days.
    Initially I was breathless throughout the workout. But slowly the pain in leg and calf muscles are receding. First day I did not complete the full 40 minutes. slowly I can see I am building stamina to work through the complete workout, however there is not much motivation when you are doing this program all alone at home. So I have joined this community to get some encouragement.
    My Body fat currently is in excess at 28.89%; for men its high risk, BMI is 24 which means on the verge towards being obese.
    I am looking forward to Insanity to improve my physique and reduce risks of obesity.
    Hello everyone and nice meeting you all enthusiastic people.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the insanity workout. My insanity workout is every Sunday after church when I meet my brother for 30 minutes of non-stop, rusty bellow breathing workout. I am trying to work myself up to a mile by this weekend. Thank you very much for the warm welcome Annastasia, and Chenoachem.

Milestone for today...hit 11,000 steps...
  • Matt_C_195
    Matt_C_195 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Great start - keep pushing yourself! Are you logging all your food also? If not - please consider! I learned quickly that estimating led me to UNDERestimating what I was eating 99% of the time.

If you are, consider sharing your diary with your friends. Knowing that they are keeping up with you helps keep you accountable.

Stick with it!
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Yes, I am keeping my food diary. And good thing too, since for me estimating meant eating too little. I haven't broken myself away yet from the culture of eating very little means being healthy. Trying to make sure that I do manage my calories but not send my body into starvation mode is tricky. So keeping the diary and seeing the totals help tremendously.