Frustratingly Stuck

Options
I have been basically stuck at the same weight for 4 months. I would really love to see the scales start moving again. What would you suggest I do to make that happen? Here is a bit more info about me to help you make your suggestions:

Height: 5'4"
Start weight: 271 pounds (August 2012)
Current weight: 123-ish
Goal weight: 120 pounds (Originally my GW was 110-115 but my doctor has said no lower than 120)
I am a teacher and theatre director. Most days I work from 7:30 AM to 7:00 PM. Don't really have time for much exercising.
I eat 1200 calories a day (been doing so for the past 6 months). I try to eat at least 45 grams of protein each day. I take a multivitamin and fish oil supplement. I weigh my food. I drink a minimum of a gallon of water a day.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Replies

• kw1452
    kw1452 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are basically at your goal weight. I've heard that the last five lbs are the hardest to lose.

I'm about to start experimenting with juice. I bought a juicer and joined a 30 day challenge (not fasting, just one juice a day) on this website http://juicerecipes.com/
  • castadrora85
    castadrora85 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    From the sounds of it, you are plateauing which is very challenging. your body is so use to your lifestyle. Maybe try changing it up and little bit and try (key word is try) to incorporate exercise. I know when I plateau, I tend to eat a little bit differently (eat pasta which I normally don't do, have a couple cookies which I normally don't do, etc etc) and somehow I tend to lose weight faster even though I ate foods I normally don't eat but I think because i'm breaking my body out of that same routine that it has been relying on.

You can try something like that but it requires a LOT of will power.

I hope you manage to break your spell. By the way... 123lbs is a perfect weight...and great job on the weight loss! :) good luck!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I prescribe more protein, a full diet break for two weeks minimum where you eat at your predicted maintenance, (just stay off the scale completely until this is over- you'll initially gain weight) and then start over with a 10% TDEE cut.

Here's a blog I wrote a while ago about diet breaks and why they're useful. In your case you need it to break a plateau.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MoreBean13/view/reflections-on-maintenance-diet-break-427880
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    You are essentially at goal. I know you want to see THE number on the scale, I had that same fixation. But truly, you can gain or lose 3 lbs. within hours so perhaps it is time to start practicing maintenance. That is another, new challenge that you can tackle.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I think you should really try to start working out. Some strength training will get your body to look the way you want it, whether you lose scale weight or not.

Great job on your huge weight loss, though!
  • wonderiss
    wonderiss Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions thus far! I am super hesitant to take a diet break or move to maintenance. I feel like I will balloon back up pretty quickly. I will definitely try increasing my protein. I just bought some weights so I plan to start some lifting. Probably won't have tons of time for it but surely every minute helps!
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions thus far! I am super hesitant to take a diet break or move to maintenance. I feel like I will balloon back up pretty quickly. I will definitely try increasing my protein. I just bought some weights so I plan to start some lifting. Probably won't have tons of time for it but surely every minute helps!

So....in three lbs, are you planning to just stay at 1200 forever? With long term dieting at 1200 calories it's basically inevitable that as soon as you go back to eating you're going to gain weight again. Why not tackle the problem now, fix your metabolism (it's slowed down, it's called adaptive thermogenesis), gain a few lbs and then take them back off with a slight deficit, so that in a month or so when you're finished, you can enjoy maintenance? I mean, this is a controlled way to do it versus staying stuck at a 1200 calorie plateau forever.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I prescribe more protein, a full diet break for two weeks minimum where you eat at your predicted maintenance, (just stay off the scale completely until this is over- you'll initially gain weight) and then start over with a 10% TDEE cut.

Here's a blog I wrote a while ago about diet breaks and why they're useful. In your case you need it to break a plateau.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MoreBean13/view/reflections-on-maintenance-diet-break-427880

This.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Add calories gradually and stay off the scale for awhile.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

^this

Stop worrying about the immediate short-term consequences of this solution and instead look at how it will likely take you to the long-term results you want. So what if you add a few pounds for a while...if the end result is reaching your goal (and doing it without a full crash), isn't it worth it?

Or alternatively, keep doing what you've been doing and keep getting what you've been getting.

Your call.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options

You have to move to maintenance eventually. You are already eating too little and not losing. You can't lower your calories anymore safely. The only option is up.

Do it gradually to minimize initial weight gain and be patient.
  • wonderiss
    Options
    Ugh....very good points being made. I am just really really afraid of increasing my calories, but I guess it needs to be done. I'm just not sure how much to increase by and to and over what time period. Looks like I have some researching to do.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Ugh....very good points being made. I am just really really afraid of increasing my calories, but I guess it needs to be done. I'm just not sure how much to increase by and to and over what time period. Looks like I have some researching to do.

I would increase by 150-200 calories a day, weekly. Good luck!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    You know, something funny happened when I went to maintenance. I lost a couple more pounds. I stopped stressing the loss and focused on staying within a 5 or so pound window, and boom! (I'm not saying this will happen to you, just giving you a recount of what happened for me).

Bodies aren't always scientific machines that operate exactly the way we want them. Give yourself the emotional break as much as anything. Enjoy the extra food.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    You know, something funny happened when I went to maintenance. I lost a couple more pounds. I stopped stressing the loss and focused on staying within a 5 or so pound window, and boom! (I'm not saying this will happen to you, just giving you a recount of what happened for me).

Bodies aren't always scientific machines that operate exactly the way we want them. Give yourself the emotional break as much as anything. Enjoy the extra food.

I didn't lose more weight after I went to maintenance but I did go down another pant size eventually. Body recomp, I suppose. Yay lifting!

OP, I'm glad you're looking at this from another angle. It sounds like you're on your way to getting the train back on the tracks.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

I know it's really scary. You know where you have been and you are afraid that you will end up there again. Take it in baby steps, and you will be fine.

You have done so much, and come so far! You are definitely able to figure out how to maintain and/or lose the last few pounds.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Hooray for reasonable responses to advice!

I really think you're making the right decision to strongly consider this. From my viewpoint, it's a no lose scenario. If it doesn't get you where you want to go, then you've just found a specific way that didn't work...and your current approach isn't working. That said, I fully expect this "diet break" approach has a solid chance of working for you.

Best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • wonderiss
    Options
    Not brave enough to go on a full diet break yet, but I did just go get a 100 calories worth of a snack over my typical 1200 calorie diet. I am going to see what 1300 calories does for a bit and continue to make small adjustments once I see results one way or the other. Thanks for the encouragement!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that you obviously know how to lose weight. You did it once, so you can always do it again. And adding 100 calories a day is scary at first, but it won't make you suddenly gain all the weight back. Try it for a week, see what happens, then keep making little adjustments. If you hold at your current weight after a week or two, try adding another 50-100 a day.
  • wonderiss
    Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions. Working on slowly getting over the mental block about adding calories. Have another 1300 day planned for today. Thanks again!