Fluid Retention in Legs: Compression tights or no?

Options
I am a 23 year old female. My current routine is Taekwondo for 2 hours on Sunday and an hour M-W-F. I just recently incorporated elliptical and weight training on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Lately I have been experiencing fluid retention in my lower legs the day after a rigorous workout, and even more so when it is cold outside. Is this a typical occurrence? I drink anywhere from 50 to 75 ounces of water a day, some days significantly more if the workout is tough. I do a lot of walking to and from class/work. My sodium intake has been poor recently (I really like to cook asian food...) , however, the fluid retention began long before that. I have been treated for hypothyroidism since April 2013 and I am very good at getting my blood-work done every 2 months.

Would compression pants be an option to alleviate this problem? Additionally, I had a small tear in my left hamstring a few months back, and I am wondering if compression pants would help support that muscle. I am very clueless about compression-ware, so any recommendations would be great!

TL/DR: Fluid retention in lower legs, old hamstring tear. Should I buy compression tights and if so what kind.

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    You can find great compression socks that are open in the toe online. If you can't find any, cut the toes off of regular support socks.

I wear them when I have edema or when flying for more than 8 hours. I even wear the sports compression sleeves on my arms before I go to the gym.

Never wear them while exercising. Only before or after. You can wear compression shorts for working out. Just don't restrict flow to your extremities.
  • waltbran
    Options
    Not sure about fluid retention, but I love my compression socks for recovery after tough workouts, invest in good ones! Mine socks were about $50. 2XU brand, Be sure to check the size guide, you might have to measure your calves to be sure to get the proper fit.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    You can find great compression socks that are open in the toe online. If you can't find any, cut the toes off of regular support socks.

I wear them when I have edema or when flying for more than 8 hours. I even wear the sports compression sleeves on my arms before I go to the gym.

Never wear them while exercising. Only before or after. You can wear compression shorts for working out. Just don't restrict flow to your extremities.

^^This.

I would recommend socks that have at least 18 mmHg of compression, because IMO they are comfortably tight without cutting off my circulation. Also, if your legs are swollen at night put a pillow under your legs, keeping them elevated (ideally above the level of your heart) really does wonders for the swelling.