Women 34+ lost 80lbs + after long term weight gain ?

Options
I am 36, 5'5 and currently 233 lbs. I have was always a big heavy, gained and lost about 50 lbs in my mid 20's and then steadily gained up and up over the past 7 or 8 years to my present weight of 233. I have not had children but I have been obese for a number of years. I loved looking at the success stories of the 5'5' women and was thrilled to see how great many looked after being at around my current weight and getting down to approx my goal weight but many of them seem younger than me, or I had no way of knowing how long they had been at their top weight (I've been at mine for 2 years). I look at my body and I can't imagine it will ever be as toned and trim as the ones I have seen on the success threads because I am too old and have been too overweight for too long so that while I will lose fat my body will be all baggy and horrible. Maybe that is true or maybe I am being too pessimistic about what I can hope for.

I do still intend to go for it but I would really love some women to post about their experience in losing weight who where in a similar position to me when starting out along with any tips!

Replies

• sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm 34/F/No Kids, didn't start as big, but have lost almost 20lb since November 1

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

If you're willing to be patient and dedicated, you can do it. There are people on here 20+ years older than you who have lost well over 100lb. You just need to decide that you will do it too.
  • Bettyanne77
    Options
    Thank you for your response and for the link which looks like great info. I do think I can lose the weight, I did lose a significant amount before but my issue is what my body will end up like even if I lose weight. I see some of the results women of my height and start weight have and they looks so good really great figures no saggy skin as such but they are maybe younger or and you can't always tell they might not have been at their top weight for a long time so for motivation I was curious about older women who had been fat for a number or years and their results when they finally lost the excess weight?

I am not sure how it will work out for me, I just would like to know what others experienced in this regard.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I am 33/F/5'6''/twins

After highschool I always had weight to lose, then I gained 80lbs when pregnant with twins and got up to 280 in late 2005. I lost 40 lbs gained it back rinse and repeat about 3 times. I didn't start to put an honest effort into losing the weight until 2011 so I carried it for awhile. I have lost 88 lbs. While doing weights and cardio religiously helped (heavy lifting to come) I just couldn't recover from having twins. I had a lot of extra skin and my abs were separated from the pregnancy, so I had surgery to correct it. But I know a lot of people who don't. I think genetics plays a big role too. It's really hard to say what your skin will do and how your body will look but I recommend being in the gym/home gym. Do cardio, lift weights. Then see what happens. I'd much rather have the saggy skin than be obese, that's just me though. You will be much healthier for it.

Good luck.
  • Bettyanne77
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story with me. I know in my head that I need to lose weight for my health in the long term and that at least I should look a bit better in clothes but emotionally I dread loose skin. Almost to the point where I would rather be fat and that I can't see any point in losing if I'll just have ugly loose skin. I can't afford the surgery to correct it and I don't want the scars either. I also think that it will be so much harder to maintain if I am left with loose skin because I will still be deeply unhappy with myself. I know these are personal issues. I don't expect to look like a sports model, far from it and I know I only have myself to blame for the gain in the first place but I can't help how I feel. A bit of jiggle I could live with. I think its just that I've never been pretty with a nice figure and I feel that time is running out for me now.

I am really determined to lose the weight anyway but I remain very afraid of loose skin.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Your goals are achievable! I started Jan 31, 2012 at 32 years old. I am 5'9" so a little taller than you but I weighed 250lbs. I was overweight for many years....at least 5 or more. I've lost 90lbs and am getting in shape. I love fitness and healthy eating. I do have some problem areas that I don't just love but I'm pretty sure that every other female out there can find problems, even though we are all perfect! I do have 2 children born in 2005 and then 2008. In the beginning I did a ton of treadmill and elliptical. Halfway through I tried group fitness at my gym and haven't looked back. I prefer group fitness tremendously over working out on my own. It's like having a personal trainer boss you around. The music is loud and its fun. I've made may friendships from the gym. To help with the skin issue, incorporate lifting weights into your routine. I lift weights....a lot of them and it has helped so much. I cant imagine my body if I had only done cardio....ew. Remember that you are looking for a lifestyle change and new way of life...not just a diet. Slow and steady. I took it 5lbs at a time and celebrated each 5lbs lost. I ate very good during the week and Friday nights was and still is my usual splurge meal. All other meals were lowish in calories or healthy. We eat out a lot so I learned to order on the lower calorie side of the menu. I like food in general so just making myself order from there instead of the fried cheap stuff really works!
  • kfritz7162
    kfritz7162 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am 34 and have 1 daughter. I am 5'5.5" and started at 266.6. My current weight is 180.5, and it has been just short of one year. Staying motivated/dedicated is really important. I gave up drinking soda, and track everything I eat on this site. This site is the one thing that has kept me accountable.

In high school, I was active in sports, and once I graduated, the weight just seemed to continue creeping up. So, I have gradually gotten heavier each year as an adult.

Good luck to you! You can do it!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I think what you're looking for is attainable.

I'm taller than you, mid-30's and childfree. I started my journey 2 years ago and been maintaining for almost one year. I was overweight or obese my entire adult life.

After 80 lbs lost I had no issues with loose skin or saggy parts even in areas such as my arms which went from 18 inches to 11.5 inches.

I think the key for me was lifting weights and doing a lot of bodyweight exercises like push ups, planks, squats and lunges etc. from the very beginning. I also drink a lot of water and made sure to really moisture the areas where I carried my fat areas with a lotion that has collagen which helps with elasticity.

I think if you take action now and stay consistent you may not have (as many?) issues with loose skin.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!