1200 Caories

Options
Hi everyone!
I was wondering if at 1200 calories a day you struggle with it. Do you sometimes feel dizzy or really hungry? Do you experience a change with your mood. By entering my info and all MFP has set me to that amount of calories and I'm not sure if it's just temporary or if it is because of that change I try to stick to as much as possible. Any thoughts ? Should I up my cals? By how much? Is it possible to still be loosing?

Replies

• summergirl212
    summergirl212 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When I was only eating 1200 calories I was always hungry, grumpy, and moody. After doing a lot of reading (which you will find all over the board) 1200 calories isn't sustainable for most people. I would recommend setting your goal at 1 lb a week instead of 2 and then it should raise your calories from 1200. I'm at 1460 and you'd be amazing what a difference that 260 can do for your mood and hunger! the weight still comes off and I'm way less crabby. I'd suggest upping them a few hundred calories and you should still see a loss it might just be a little slower. Good luck!
  • aps81
    aps81 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am also using 1200 calories as my guideline. It used to be REALLY hard for me to stick to and I thought I was barely eating anything, but I just changed WHAT I was eating and don't feel as though I'm starving all of the time. I eat primarily Paleo/Primal now (mostly fresh meat and veggies) and am now always in a calorie deficit, which surprises me. I've gotten pretty creative with it and don't miss or crave the stuff I used to. And best of all...I think I am actually eating more :)
  • susalia1
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 calorie diet and it really don't bother me at all sometimes I can't even eat all my calories but I've never really been a big eater I just are all the wrong things all the time... Drinking alot of water will hello you with that too
  • silenceinspace
    silenceinspace Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I recently dropped my diet from 1600 to 1500, and then to 1200 (which I wouldn't go below). I agree with other posters. I found the adjustment period (of about a week) a little difficult, but the difference is the decisions you make. I eat more fruits and vegetables and I also eat smaller portions (that was the biggest adjustment).

Completely regardless of what I just said, if you need to eat more, eat more. 1200 calories for me is fine most days; some days I need 1400; at 1100, I am cranky and dizzy, etc. So small numbers of calories can make a huge difference.
  • imbrittanymarie
    Options
    I am currently feeling great at 1210 calorie intake each day. I am on the Mediterranean diet. I have actually been more energetic and alert. It really is all about what you are consuming as far as meeting your reduced calorie intake. If you are having those side effects , I would strongly suggest upping your caloric intake and work your way to reducing your calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I was wondering if at 1200 calories a day you struggle with it. Do you sometimes feel dizzy or really hungry? Do you experience a change with your mood. By entering my info and all MFP has set me to that amount of calories and I'm not sure if it's just temporary or if it is because of that change I try to stick to as much as possible. Any thoughts ? Should I up my cals? By how much? Is it possible to still be loosing?

You doing any exercise?

1200 is bare minimum for safety for sedentary women.

If you exercise or don't actually have a 45 hr week desk job - you ain't sedentary.

If you exercise you should automatically be eating more per the way MFP works, log and eat back all your exercise calories - that may help make up for what is likely too extreme of a rest day eating goal.

Use MFP as designed, you can have much better long term success. But doing the recommended 1 lb will help alot too.

And if you are exercising and trying to have positive changes from it, rather than just spinning your wheels to burn a few extra calories, then look at the spreadsheet on my profile page to get the most from your workout but still lose the most you can safely.
    Safely meaning you don't lose muscle mass and suppress your metabolism, and repeat yo-yo dieting the rest of your life away.
  • NessaR2011
    NessaR2011 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I roughly consume 1200-1230 per day. It's not something I planned on but I adjusted the foods I eat so much that I CONSTANTLY eat and some days when I'm backed up (tmi I know) I can barely eat at all. I eat six small meals per day, breakfast and dinner being a little bigger than the rest, but I'm never hungry and I never have cravings because my intake is so much more rounded. Not having cravings is so weird though. Feel free to add me if you'd like to take a look at my diary to get some ideas.
  • alix_a
    alix_a Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Three small meals and three small snacks. It takes discipline to eat all the food every two to three hours.

What you eat is important too. Eating processed food and just eating whatever food is handy, you will blow through the 1200 by lunch. Do you know how much squash or spinach you would need to get 300 calories? A bunch. ; )

Make sure that you input your calories when you eat them. It's sometimes good to put in the food you are going to eat to get an idea how many calories you are about to consume. It can help you with your choices. : )
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Getting dizzy and experiencing mood changes are signs that something isn't working for your body. It doesn't matter if that number works for other people -- if you're experiencing negative consequences it doesn't work for you.
  • 1234terri
    1234terri Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    1200 works great for me but I don't lose much, I find I have to really work out consistently and frequently to lose on 1200. I use a wheelchair so I am more sedentary than most. Try some different cal settings and burns to see where you drop weight at the rate that feels good to you. :-)

t
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I eat less than that (Doctor supervised) but I feel great. I think it is important to eat a lot of vegetables, and fruits without too much sugar but lots of fiber, those fill you up.
  • Frittycat
    Frittycat Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    As long as I eat lots of fruits and vegetables with some cheese, I can easily eat within 1200 calories and still feel satisfied. I've learned that it has to do with what I am eating. I am also a smaller person, so I don't need a lot of food.
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    1200 for me is too low. 1400 was not sustainable for me either because I had a tendency to over snack. I'm at 1600 now, and for some reason, I am eating 200 under goal. Go figure =)
  • miamouse3
    miamouse3 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I may sound crazy, but I love that my calorie limit is about 1,200. MFP calculated it as 1,240. It seems hard at first, but heres the thing- what you are eating is what makes the difference. I don't know if you like your veggies, that could be the hardest part. Taste palates adjust though and soon it becomes a preference.
    You know those boxes of 50/50 salad greens? Half spring mix half spinach? That entire box is only 40 calories. So take half that box and you are already on your way to a massive salad that will have you feeling stuffed. 10 cherry tomatoes (which I halve or slice) is about 16 calories if I remember right. A half a cup of cucumber slices is 8 calories. 4 oz baked chicken breast (boneless and skinless) cutlet (which I cut into cubes, and seasoning is totally acceptable) is I think 110 calories. Same with 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar. That with a little shake of seasoning on it or a salt pepper blend tastes amazing. I had one today. Total calories? 268. And its such a good sized salad. You can eat tooooons of vegetables. I happen to like veggies, but not everyone does. If you drink a lot more, it helps with telling if you are really hungry or not.
    Really though, if you are having trouble feeling full save some calorie room for fats. Protein really helps make you feel full, but your body does need fats. I took the classes, and all the fat free pushing is crap. Fat makes you feel full. Just eat the right kind of fats. And don't make yourself feel like you can't have what you want. I have a love of brownies and chocolate. I buy fiber one 90 cal brownies, warm them up when I really want it to feel fresh, and they taste amazing.
    You can do it. It seems like a jump but give yourself a week to adjust and learn what works for you and how to get the most out of your daily calories. And let yourself have a cheat day once in a while. Don't go crazy on it now, but having a day or two each month or something where you can eat something that doesn't fit in your diet keeps you from losing it and quitting. My doctor originally suggested this to me. If you don't do that once in a while you are more likely to break your diet and binge.

If you are experiencing mood swings i sounds like you aren't getting a good balance. Are you keeping an eye on the protein, carbs, and fat part of the tracker? They calculate goals for those too. Try meeting them. I bet it will help a lot.

:) I hope you start feeling better and find out what works for you.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Like most of us, you probably set your original goal to lose 2 lbs per week, and got 1200 calories, which is the lowest MFP will go for anybody.

If it's too difficult, then up your calories a bit. The only consequence is that you'll lose a little slower...but it's not about how fast you can lose, it's about whether you can sustain what you are doing.
  • rms705
    rms705 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi There,
    When I first started and was sticking to or under 1200 calories a day, the first week or two I was really tired, lethargic and grumpy. I then changed my attitude towards it, took the pressure of myself to loose weight fast and am now doing much better and seeing results. I am still sticking to the 1200 calories on most days, I walk from the train to home every day (about 2.5k) do Pilates twice a week and do a group PT class once a week so most days I have quite a few calories left over. I don't feel hungry but I have found the app is more useful in deciding what to eat (instead of sticking with just fruit and salad like I was first trying to do). It will help you make better food choices (eg make a healthy dinner instead of going to McDonalds) and make you feel more accountable for what you are eating. And you know what, if you go over by a little it's no big deal :)