2»

Replies

• Lucyk00
    Lucyk00 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Mmm, butter.
  • Madmarsha
    Options
    Butter is not healthy. It's a saturated fat, most of the fat in our diet should come from unsaturated fats (generally from plants). Eat it in moderation but olive oil spreads and recipes that use plant and nut oils for baking are healthier. Healthy fats are an essential part of your diet so don't worry if you go over the limit.
    Butter is healthy.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Real butter or AVOCADO! Yum!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I currently use Smart Balance light with EVOO but it still has a lot of fat. Any suggestions?

Use butter.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Butter is healthy. Smart Balance is a Frankenfood. Margarine is 1 molecule away from plastic. Give me butter. Real butter.

And water is one molecule away from killing you. For reals. :indifferent:

ETA: I too prefer real butter. Just log the calories. It is actually very important to get enough dietary fat in your day.
    I edited that to take that out. At least margarine doesn't have trans fats anymore .... but, still, it ain't natural. I really don't use a lot of butter but not because I'm scared of it. The body needs fats. No need to be scared of natural fats.

I agree. I'm not a clean eater at all, but even I think margarine is pretty gross.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Mmm, butter.

This.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Butter is not healthy. It's a saturated fat, most of the fat in our diet should come from unsaturated fats (generally from plants). Eat it in moderation but olive oil spreads and recipes that use plant and nut oils for baking are healthier. Healthy fats are an essential part of your diet so don't worry if you go over the limit.

No food is, in and of itself, unhealthy.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Mmm, butter.

This.

Ditto this...

and bacon.
  • GoreWhore72
    GoreWhore72 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Is butter unhealthy?

Butter is your best choice or none at all. That's what I think anyhow. I only use butter or olive oil in my home.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    coconut oil, unsalted organic butter, pam cooking spray?
  • GoreWhore72
    GoreWhore72 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't eat really eat anything that needs butter on it. I eat all my veggies with just cracked salt and pepper, and if I'm sauteing, I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I actually prefer the veggies steamed as they are, and have never had a problem without butter. I even cook my popcorn in my wok with two tsp of Olive Oil, and it's amazing then cracked salt. Can't beat it. mmmmmmmmm.....
    My favourite veggies is boiled yams strained and just as is. So, yummy.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    The latest research shows that butter is better than margarine, or the other wanna be butters. Lol. Just use in moderation. That's if you're looking for healthy. Now if you're wanting low calories, I personally use the parkay margarine spray. Just because it's like 0 calories, and I can eat more. :happy:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Mother nature put saturated fat in plants, Weird right? 92% in coconuts and guess what, avocado's has 3 times more saturated fat than tilapia for example or pork tenderloin for 100g serving. Mother nature, just when you though you could trust her.:wink:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    The latest research shows that butter is better than margarine, or the other wanna be butters. Lol. Just use in moderation. That's if you're looking for healthy. Now if you're wanting low calories, I personally use the parkay margarine spray. Just because it's like 0 calories, and I can eat more. :happy:
    Makes you wonder where the 600+ calories went when the bottle is empty.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I like butter :love:
  • JaimeLaRae
    JaimeLaRae Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I mostly use olive oil, some coconut, and sometimes you just need real butter! Moderation is key. For example, I made fried potatoes for the hubs tonight. I started with a small amount of OO, and when it could have used more, I added water, put a lid over it and let them steam for the remaining time.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I like butter but because it's hard to spread and it's fairly calorie-dense I use margarine. Yes, margarine. There is nothing wrong with it.

COME AT ME!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I just use real butter. Although I tend to use olive oil or canola oil for cooking.