Healthy eats for an unhealthy boyfriend

Options
Hi! I love to cook and would love to cook healthy meals for both myself and my boyfriend but, my boyfriend is a very picky (and unhealthy) eater and would eat fishsticks and french fries every night if he could. He also won't eat anything that has more than 10 ingredients max. Every time I find a healthy recipe that looks good, he thinks it looks "too fancy" if it has any seasoning. The only "healthy" thing I can cook for both of us is fish and roasted potatoes. This makes him think healthy food is super boring. Plus, I'm so sick of fish and potatoes! He loves meat, but I rarely cook meat for myself, so I'm pretty clueless on good meat options.

Does anyone have any really simple healthy recipe suggestions for picky guys?

Replies

• missmaya24
    missmaya24 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Maybe our boyfriends are related... There's cookbook called Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld where all the recipes have vegetables but they're not obvious. Sounds like a good way to trick him into eating healthy. Also I would suggest trying different varieties of fish, maybe throw some chicken or turkey in the mix.
  • Bluediesel
    Options
    Goto Trader Joe's and get the following

1 banana
    1 cup of organic frozen fruit (ie: mango chunks,blueberries,rasberries)
    4 tablespoons of Trader Joe's Organic Hemp Protein Powder
    1 cup of raw baby spinach leaves
    2 tablespoons of Bob's Meal Flaxseed
    1 tablespoon of almond butter/ or 1 tablespoon of organic virgin coconut oil
    water to your liking
    Blend

this will fill you up and good for you, tasty as well!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    So, fish and potatoes are too boring and normal meals are too fancy? I know I'm not a very nice person, because if my husband were like that, I'd cook and tell him he can eat it or go to the chippie. Do a search in google for "cooking light recipe makeover" and you'll find lots of unhealthy foods that have been made healthier. Also, diabeticlivingonline.com is pretty good.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Visit the Hungry Girl website. (She has numerous cookbooks too.)
    Make her 'knock off' dishes. Healthy but very similar to foods you'd eat at restaurants, like hot wings or taco bell.
    :smile:

Or duct him to the chair and force feed him his veggies. :laugh:
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    If the guy is making you cook in a way that's threatening your (not to mention his own) health, I'd consider that a red flag. He may look good now, but what's he going to look like in 20 years? Might need to consider the long term implications of this relationship and see if that's where you want to go.

The rule at my house growing up was always, "Eat what you're given, fix something yourself, or don't eat at all." It just seems crazy that he would think that food with a variety of ingredients is too fancy. Where is the flavor supposed to come from? Even something like tacos sounds like it would be too fancy for this guy. The whole situation just sounds bizarre.
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    that book sounds interesting, my problem isn't my husband, one of my twin boys will not eat vegetables. i try to hide the tiniest piece between rice or pasta so small that it probably wouldn't give him much anyways, but still... he feels it in his mouth and spits all his food out. my other twin LOVES veggies... go figure... i have also made some pasta sauces and put carrots in the blender and mixed it with the sauces, that works for a little while.
  • letsdothis2010
    letsdothis2010 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hi! I love to cook and would love to cook healthy meals for both myself and my boyfriend but, my boyfriend is a very picky (and unhealthy) eater and would eat fishsticks and french fries every night if he could. He also won't eat anything that has more than 10 ingredients max. Every time I find a healthy recipe that looks good, he thinks it looks "too fancy" if it has any seasoning. The only "healthy" thing I can cook for both of us is fish and roasted potatoes. This makes him think healthy food is super boring. Plus, I'm so sick of fish and potatoes! He loves meat, but I rarely cook meat for myself, so I'm pretty clueless on good meat options.

I'm sorry, but if you don't watch out (say if you get married), your in for one hell of a cooking life. My suggestion is to stop showing him the recipes, you don't need to seek his approval for what YOU make. Decide on something you know you both like such as fish, and find a recipe YOU like. Make it, and if he doesn't like it, tell him he is free to make his own food or to become more open-minded. Just my 2 cents. I had a friend that had the exact thing going on, it only gets worse if you don't fix it.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Check out Clean Eating magazine. Every month there are TONS of great, yummy, HEALTHY recipes that aren't fancy! My daughter and I cook from them all the time!
  • Krimicri
    Options
    Sounds like my boyfriend. Last night I made eggplant lasagna and he barely even TRIED it. He's so thick headed. Oh well, he's not going to stand in the way of my good health, he can cook for himself for all I care. :D
  • ladyj802
    ladyj802 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    my BF is pretty unhealthy of an eater too, he would eat Cheese dip, frozen pizza, and haystacks (fritos, chili beans, and TONS of cheese) everyday and be quite happy, but he is very open to trying my food, as long as it doesn't have onions, ground beef, pasta with meat sauce, or comination foods like casseroles.... i have determined that he is picky when he feels like it, so if he doesn't like what i make then i let him cook his own dinner (frozen pizza)

try a few of my recipes.... www.dejafoodrecipes.blogspot.com

i don't mean to brag, but they are damn good!

and if he likes fishsticks.....try my swordfish or tilapia(cheaper fish) tacos and mango salsa YUM! and for an even healthier fish taco - use lettuce instead of tortillas cuts out lots of calories considering tortillas are about 120-140 calories each.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Yes, Hungry Girl has a lot of great healthier recipes, I agree. My dad and my brother are picky eaters too and don't like to experiment with new foods, s I often have to sneak healthier options onto the dinner menu (and swap outs, which Hungry girl does a LOT!)

I'm pretty sure HG has a recipe to make tasty fish sticks with Fiber One and so on and so forth. Check her out. I'm definitely a fan.

Another thing which I've been able to do for my family: if you haven't already, switch from deep frying typical foods like fries, fish sticks, and chicken strips, and oven bake them instead. Cook them on higher temperatures and use cooking spray to lightly coat the bottom of the cookie sheet and to spray a light coat on top of the foods as well. They can still become crispy if that's the desired texture, but it a lot healthier than submerging the foods in animal fat.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, but if you don't watch out (say if you get married), your in for one hell of a cooking life. My suggestion is to stop showing him the recipes, you don't need to seek his approval for what YOU make. Decide on something you know you both like such as fish, and find a recipe YOU like. Make it, and if he doesn't like it, tell him he is free to make his own food or to become more open-minded. Just my 2 cents. I had a friend that had the exact thing going on, it only gets worse if you don't fix it.

I agree.

Obviously, you can't force him to want to be healthy, but you can certainly make it harder for him to be unhealthy! If he doesn't like what you cook, then he should make his own dinners.

I don't think you should have to show him your recipes, but if you are interested in recipes with fewer ingredients, there are plenty of cookbooks that focus on simple recipes. I have one that has recipes with 5 ingredients or less (mostly). Some of them aren't the healthiest recipes, but I just substitute ingredients or tweak them as needed to make them healthier.
  • kitkat415
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the great suggestions everyone! Even if he won't eat some of them, I definitely have so deelish new recipes for myself! Thanks again!
  • Manda1987
    Options
    My fiance used to be that way, but I managed to nag him into submission. He would have had us on a steady diet of spaghetti with meat sauce and nachos if it were up to him.

It all started with the spaghetti. His recipe was "canned spaghetti sauce, garlic, ground beef, onion". I swapped the sodium-ridden canned sauce for crushed tomatoes, added green peppers, mushrooms, chopped spinach and jalapenos. He loved it.

Then I attacked nachos. It went from "ground beef, onion, tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream" to "ground beef, onion, tortilla chips, black beans, salsa, black olives, tomatoes, and oh, while we're at it, let's make it a salad instead". He loved it.

Then it was his omelets. He used to make 8-egg omelets on a regular basis. That's a gram of cholesterol, and he has a family history of heart conditions. So I got him to try egg whites. He likes them because he doesn't need to crack eggs any more, and you can get them really cheap at Costco. Now he's adding broccoli and salsa instead of his usual cheese and peameal. I'm amazed at this point.

Now I've instituted a rule. Every meal must be balanced. Kraft Dinner now has broccoli and tuna added to it. Cereal is now eaten one serving at a time (he would eat at least 4), and accompanied by a piece of fruit. Broccoli and apples have become snacks for him. He groaned about it at first, but I stood firm and told him that if I was going to outlive him, it's going to be because I had a chance to nag him to death. He's not going to eat himself into an early grave.

If he's resistant to change, tell him it's because you want to live a long and healthy life together. Make little changes gradually (mine have taken 4 years). Let him make plans, if he's nay-saying everything you come up with, but tell him that it has to be nutritionally acceptable and not pre-prepared.
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    My husband is a picky eater but if I don't tell him whats in it until after he's gobbled an entire plate he'll eat it! :laugh: He always thanks me later for getting him to try this or that.

His mom is shocked I get him to eat half the veggies he does. :wink:
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    My fiance used to be that way, but I managed to nag him into submission. He would have had us on a steady diet of spaghetti with meat sauce and nachos if it were up to him.

It all started with the spaghetti. His recipe was "canned spaghetti sauce, garlic, ground beef, onion". I swapped the sodium-ridden canned sauce for crushed tomatoes, added green peppers, mushrooms, chopped spinach and jalapenos. He loved it.

Then I attacked nachos. It went from "ground beef, onion, tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream" to "ground beef, onion, tortilla chips, black beans, salsa, black olives, tomatoes, and oh, while we're at it, let's make it a salad instead". He loved it.

Then it was his omelets. He used to make 8-egg omelets on a regular basis. That's a gram of cholesterol, and he has a family history of heart conditions. So I got him to try egg whites. He likes them because he doesn't need to crack eggs any more, and you can get them really cheap at Costco. Now he's adding broccoli and salsa instead of his usual cheese and peameal. I'm amazed at this point.

Now I've instituted a rule. Every meal must be balanced. Kraft Dinner now has broccoli and tuna added to it. Cereal is now eaten one serving at a time (he would eat at least 4), and accompanied by a piece of fruit. Broccoli and apples have become snacks for him. He groaned about it at first, but I stood firm and told him that if I was going to outlive him, it's going to be because I had a chance to nag him to death. He's not going to eat himself into an early grave.

If he's resistant to change, tell him it's because you want to live a long and healthy life together. Make little changes gradually (mine have taken 4 years). Let him make plans, if he's nay-saying everything you come up with, but tell him that it has to be nutritionally acceptable and not pre-prepared.

This is awesome...has he lost weight as a result of the slow change?
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Try oven fried chicken tenders and light ranch dipping sauce. Use cornflakes in the crust to make it extra crunchy!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Maybe our boyfriends are related... There's cookbook called Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld where all the recipes have vegetables but they're not obvious. Sounds like a good way to trick him into eating healthy. Also I would suggest trying different varieties of fish, maybe throw some chicken or turkey in the mix.

I will need to get that cookbook myself!!!

My fiance has a horrible habit of picking out all the veggies from what I cook and only eating the meat, pasta, potatoes, etc... There's one pasta recipe that takes whole grain noodles, chicken breast pieces, and diced tomatoes. And he picks out the tomatoes. I asked him why cause sauce is just mashed up tomatoes with some sugar and spices, but he didn't have an answer. So one day I took the fresh tomatoes and mashed them up into a sauce instead of dicing them, and that goober ate every bit. Same darn recipe, just appeared to be a "sauce" rather than just the veggie. MEN!!!
  • Manda1987
    Options
    @Minnesota Mom:

He has lost a little... about 5 lbs over the last month. The hard part for him is keeping up his habits when he goes to work on the weekends. He's with the Army Reserves, and they don't feed them near as well as they should. The number of times he's told me about when corn was the only veggie option... eek!