Women & weights / Strengh training

I have read a lot about cardio vs strength training to lose weight and tone etc, and a lot of women say they do weights to achieve the body they want and I understand the benefits of this. However what exactly does 'do weights' entail? Is this free weights like dumb bells or does/can this include machines in the gym such as leg press/chest press etc. I have been going to the gym and just want to make sure I am doing the correct things and also have a better understanding of it.

Thanks in advance

Tansy :)

Replies

• singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    I've been lifting weights for almost a year now. And from my experience, it helps to find a program to follow and do that for a few weeks/months to get the hang of it. Find a program that you like - it can be a combination of machines and free weights. My personal preferences is mostly free weights. It needs to be something you enjoy doing otherwise you won't keep up with it. Just make sure that you watch videos on proper form before going to lift (if you don't have a trainer). I see way too many people with bad form just going in and risking an injury. Start small and gradually build up is my best advice. Don't be scared of getting bulky though - it's not gonna happen.

ETA: for me, I find a combination of weights and cardio is best for weight loss. I have a high body fat % so not ready to rely solely on weights yet. Although some people will say cardio isn't necessary, for me it seems to be.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    I use mostly free weights because they work the stabilizing muscles as well as the targeted muscles. Sometimes I use weight machines, but it is usually just to switch things up for a day or so or pass the time while I am waiting for the weight room to clear out a bit.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I use free weights (barbell/bench/rack)

I follow the strong lift 5x5 program (did this alone for 18 weeks) love it. (I have a home gym)

I am not a fan of "cardio" just for the sake of cardio but have added HIIT in 2x a week on my off days.

And when we say Heavy we mean heavy for us.. I squat 150 atm but that doesn't mean you should be able to do that, heavy is whatever is heavy for you....

I am sure Machines are fine but I prefer Free for the stabilizing muscle work as well.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    I lift free weights. No machines.

I have chosen a progressive lifting program. There's Strong Lifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women and Starting Strength. Find what works for you.

Lifting "heavy" is subjective. Each set should be around 5 reps. If you can do 8-10 or more per set, increase the weight.

Be sure to practice proper form with a light weight.

You mentioned cardio... I run 2-3 times a week for cardiovascular health.... and to eat a little more. :blushing:
  • balletpolegirl
    balletpolegirl Posts: 73 Member
    You could ask for some advice from the gym staff, or ask for a session with a personal trainer to go through some things. I think my gym offers a free session when you first join up, don't know if others do the same.

I'm doing free weights, mainly dumb bells, I read a few books and looked at proper form videos on youtube to help me out. I'm currently following the New Rules of Lifting for Women book.
  • KeairaSedai
    KeairaSedai Posts: 138 Member
    I used to do the machines in the Gym but I feel like they do nothing for me. Maybe the leg press if I crank it up high, but even then it's not getting me what I want.

I just (few days ago) switched to free weights. Atm mostly dumbbells, but I also plan to start the Stronglifts 5x5 when I get the chance. Dumbells are making me feel progress, the machines did not.

I think Cardio is still a good add on if you want to work on your endurance and just to burn some calories. After all, no matter what workout, calories out should still be greater than calories in if you want to lose weight. But with doing weights and keeping calorie in == calorie out, you may still lose fat and gain muscle, just keep in mind that this will cause your actual weight to go up. (But you'll still tone, and feel better and be more healthy etc.)

So I would advise free weights and some Cardio, preferably interval whether it's a machine, just running outside, or taking a class.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    I started out with Jamie Eason's Live Fit Trainer. Google it! It's a three month program, it's free and it got me into the "big boy" weight section at the gym. I would never look back! I still use some of her workout to mix things up when I get bored.
  • Thanks everyone :)

I'm going to try free weights for sure....I've been hearing a lot about 'new rules of lifting for women' book that I am going to check out. Anyone tried that?

Obviously I know it takes a lot to put muscle on and I know I'm not going to bulk up..im just worried about my thighs getting any bigger haha! Also the fact I'm extremely weak! :blushing: