Does anyone go to planet fitness?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Seriously?!

Yeah, it isn't the *best* gym out there but for people who aren't comfortable in gyms, it's a pretty good place to start.
    Yeah, some of their business models are strange (pizza, etc).

But you don't need to be a ginormous d0uche about this gym.
    Especially since the rules and equipment vary by franchise.
    One of my friends has been very successful at her Planet Fitness.

So shut it.

i believe their corporate policy is now to remove squat racks from all locations..

so maybe you should shut it…but hey, if you want to train at plant weakness by all means do so ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Who wants to be average? Isn't the whole point of going to the gym is to be much better than average?

Find a guy who weighs 350lbs. He wants to be average. It's a very narrow view to think everyone working out should just give up unless they aspire to be an Olympic athlete.

wow you missed the point on that one ….the point is to have the 350 pound guy turn himself into a 190 punt shredded machine...
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have never been but I heard that our local PF serves pizza and soda on the first monday of every month. Isn't that counter- productive? Why go and workout and eat pizza. Sorry-don't get it.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Seriously?!

Yeah, it isn't the *best* gym out there but for people who aren't comfortable in gyms, it's a pretty good place to start.
    Yeah, some of their business models are strange (pizza, etc).

But you don't need to be a ginormous d0uche about this gym.
    Especially since the rules and equipment vary by franchise.
    One of my friends has been very successful at her Planet Fitness.

So shut it.

i believe their corporate policy is now to remove squat racks from all locations..

so maybe you should shut it…but hey, if you want to train at plant weakness by all means do so ...

I don't train at PF.
    I train at a 1980s Gold's Gym.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    "LINK ALARM PULLED" smh
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I have never been but I heard that our local PF serves pizza and soda on the first monday of every month. Isn't that counter- productive? Why go and workout and eat pizza. Sorry-don't get it.

I work out so I CAN eat pizza.
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I have a PF Membership and PERSONALLY I like it - the variety of cardio machines and weights is ideal for me.

That being said, there's a dedicated free weight area, an area at the front for freestyle exercises, an ab room, and a circuit training room - I have seen a wide variety of people there - from those like me who are there to lose weight and tone to the ones who are fit and in great shape maintaining.

I like it! If you don't, then that's your opinion - I took a tour of Gold's Gym and just didn't feel comfortable there - I feel perfectly comfortable at PF
  • PaleoChocolateBearJr
    Options
    I used to go it wasn't for me, but it works for some people just not a gym for me. I got better results once I switched and I enjoy my workouts a lot more now.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Who wants to be average? Isn't the whole point of going to the gym is to be much better than average?

Find a guy who weighs 350lbs. He wants to be average. It's a very narrow view to think everyone working out should just give up unless they aspire to be an Olympic athlete.

wow you missed the point on that one ….the point is to have the 350 pound guy turn himself into a 190 punt shredded machine...

Yeah but I think super fit people have this idea in their heads that everyone is/should be aspiring to be super fit. The reality is some people are just hoping to get to normal or even semi-normal. Shredded is not everyone's goal believe it or not. Maybe it's a goal after you get to normal but it's first things first for some people.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    Oh good, this thread again. It must be Wednesday. :\

Time for the super douches to make their weekly appearance.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

Funny isn't it? The people who slam PF because they market themselves as the Judgment Free Zone but say that PF is all judgy, love to judge PF and the people who go there. How ironic.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Planet fitness is a good starter gym. But eventually you will want to squat. Eventually you will want to set PRs, which, under normal circumstances, causes heavy breathing.

Even I grunt on my last set of squats, and I'm in my garage. Nobody to impress there.

I would've went there when I first started working out. But now I'd be kicked out.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Not having a scale at the gym is a drawback and sorta gimmicky, right?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Funny isn't it? The people who slam PF because they market themselves as the Judgment Free Zone but say that PF is all judgy, love to judge PF and the people who go there. How ironic.

hmm I believe that PF is the one that markets themselves as "judgment free" but then chooses to pass judgment on people who squat and deadlift as "lunks"....
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options

hmm I believe that PF is the one that markets themselves as "judgment free" but then chooses to pass judgment on people who squat and deadlift as "lunks"....

...and you choose to point it out. Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

We all get it. Remove the stick from up there so you can get some fresh ideas.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options

^^^^ this. No squat racks or old school weight room equipment in the PFs I've seen. #fail
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I like it.

It's cheap and suits my needs.

I can dead lift there.
    I can squat there.

I am not a cardio bunny.
    I lift heavy.
    I make noises when I lift.
    I breathe heavy when I lift.
    I make faces when I lift.
    I have never had the lunk alarm pulled on me.

The guy next to me was dropping his weights yesterday and did not have the lunk alarm pulled on him.

I don't partake in the pizza days. I will have coffee on the coffee day. You are not forced to partake in either day nor do they make you take a handful of tootsie rolls on the way out.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I encourage people to join Planet Fitness because its cheap.. and that way they don't join the good gym's in the area and crowd them up....
    Its a win for those that join a gym in January and go there until April.. and its a Win for people that go to other gyms all year long and use the weights/machines..

I mean if all people want to do is cardio, planet fitness is fine.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I have been going for 2 years and have no real complaints. I have gone from a 41 inch waist to 32 inch waist. Everybody there is generally nice to me.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    You can have a good workout or a vanilla workout anywhere. It depends on you effort and attitude.

I have even heard of women who get into shape at Curves, and there is not a more vanilla exercise "gym" anywhere.

Not my style, I like to make my body work hard, but who are we to judge?