eggs

Options
gecho
gecho Posts: 426 Member
Ok back history first.
When i was a very little girl first starting on solid foods i had this thing about meat. I couldn't eat it. Sounds crazy i know but i couldn't it would make me so sick my parents would have to go back to baby foods. Whole big story there but thats the just of it. Point is without meat i wasn't getting enough protein so the Drs told my parents to feed me eggs. spend a couple of years on eggs as your primary source of protein and you get to hate them. I HATE EGGS. Eating a scrambled egg makes me throw up. (still can't overdo the meat, i'll still get sick and be down for a couple of days:tongue: )

I'm to the point now that i would like to eat eggs, to take advantage of their health benefits especially the protein part, i really don't eat much meat, not because of the whole sick thing i'm what you would call a semi-vegetarian. Yes thats a real term just not a widely recongnized one. It means 'is a term used to describe diets that are not vegetarian, but include less meat than typical diets'

i was thinking maybe along the lines of an egg white omlette. (sp?)

any ideas?

Replies

• binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I eat 3 scrambled eggs (the whole egg), salsa and a little shredded cheese.

BTW...I just had my cholesterol checked and it came back 100% normal.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I have to watch my cholesterol - I love eggs. Now I mostly eat egg beaters with laughing cow light cheese - you can scramble or microwave. Search the www.hungry-girl.com website for Egg Mugs - many variations. Here is the Classic:

The Egg Mug Classic
    PER SERVING (entire mug): 95 calories, 2g fat, 490mg sodium, 3g carbs, 0g
    fiber, 2g sugars, 14.5g protein -- POINTS® value 2*

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
    One wedge The Laughing Cow Light Original Swiss cheese, cut into pieces

Directions:
    Spray a large microwave-safe mug lightly with nonstick spray. Add egg
    substitute and cheese and stir. Microwave for about a minute. Stir gently,
    and then microwave for another 30 - 45 seconds, until scramble is just set.
    Stir and enjoy!

MAKES 1 SERVING
  • HealthyHereICome
    Options
    Good job on the cholesterol! Do you use Eggland's Best eggs (which have less cholesterol) or just regular store brand? Curious because my triglycerides are a little high
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    You could use them in stuff so you don't really know they are there, like make a fratatta , a quiche or actually, anything that you want to stick together when you put it in a pan. Point being, you don't really need to look at them to eat them.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Before I became vegan, I ate mushroom cheddar egg white omelets.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    If you really don't like meat or eggs, there are places you can get protein w/o. I'm almost always over protein whether or not I have meat on a given day- yogurts, beans - plenty of foods have high protein.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    What stands out to me is your meat problem... is it only for specific meats? People can be allergic to certain meats. So if you were eating steak for example, maybe fish would be ok for you. As long as you stagger your sources of protein to make sure you get all of your essential amino acids can help with your vegetarianish lifestyle (like quinoa is nearly complete, it's missing 1 amino acid).

Look up recipes for frittatas, quiche...those are some egg things that aren't just straight up egg.

And to back up with binary_jester said, the research I've seen eating eggs doesn't change the ratio of HDL to LDL. (HDL is the good stuff)

Lastly, since I can't offer many other recipes, I'm just going to offer some empathy - I did Atkins and South Beach where I ate eggs like every morning - they do get old! I can't really eat them often now.

Good luck!
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    No idea for egg recipes, since I usually scramble or hard boil mine, but do you like peanut butter? That's a good form of protein!
  • JohnMaile
    Options
    EGGS!!! I love eggs and I certainly love talking about them too, ha! I eat at least one raw egg every morning! A raw egg!........ My girlfriend is yelling at me to get into the shower, ya know cuz we have class in 30 minutes... but here's a link to a previous post I wrote on eating eggs!! Good luck with your eggs everybody!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/132330-raw-eggs

STAY STRONG... and eat your eggs!!
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I LOVE eggs with salsa!
    For breakfast I eat 3 scrambled eggs (the whole egg), salsa and a little shredded cheese.

BTW...I just had my cholesterol checked and it came back 100% normal.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I've learned that there are are lot of protein providing alternatives to meat that are very tasty. Unfortunately, I don't know the actual names of these things, but my (ex) in-laws are vegetarians and have the kids and I try a wide variety of dishes when we visit. There's a protein packed (meatless) product that kinda looks like ground beef that they use for their spaghetti that's actually pretty good. I'll try to get that info for you.
  • billgiersberg
    Options
    I was eating a hard boiled egg, then just the egg white, then egg beaters, then back to a whole hard boiled egg. But MFP said the cholestrol from the egg was peaking me out for the day. So now I have oatmeal to bump up the fiber which I am still a bit too low on each day. I don't miss the egg. My protein each day is usually just a little over so it's not like I'm missing protein.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Ok, I know it sounds weird, but I puree fresh spinach leaves in my food processor and then add garlic, sometimes a chili, one egg and one white, and just mix until it's all incorporated, or it turns into a weird egg pancake thing. Cook it in a non-stick skillet and top with cheese, mushrooms and sometimes ham (just so I can say I ate green eggs and ham. Yes, I'm weird.) and it's really good. It looks funny, but it might make you forget there's egg in it.
  • kkochend
    Options
    You don't need eggs or meat for protein. As a vegan I get my protein from beans, nuts, and veggies. The occasional meat replacer, or pea protein powder in a smoothie. Also, a vegan diet is completely cholesterol free. Cholesterol is only found in meat, dairy and eggs.
  • MorganD84
    Options
    good tips on how to eat eggs in different ways..... yummy now im hungry for salsa and eggs.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    You don't need eggs or meat for protein. As a vegan I get my protein from beans, nuts, and veggies. The occasional meat replacer, or pea protein powder in a smoothie. Also, a vegan diet is completely cholesterol free. Cholesterol is only found in meat, dairy and eggs.
    She didn't say she was being FORCED by gunpoint to eat eggs. She said she would like to eat eggs now. Cholesterol is genetic as i stated above.
  • numberscolors
    Options
    mmmmmm i LOVE eggs! they are one of natures most complete and perfect foods! they contain many essential nutrients and the possibilities for preparing them are endless. they contain all of the amino acids that the body needs. the white part (the albumen) contains most of the protein and yolk contains all of the vitamins! the only vitamin eggs DON'T contain is vitamin c (which you can get from pretty much anything else).

i could probably go on and on about eggs, but i will spare you. you can read this if you are interested in learning more:
    http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html
    and here's another link about some common myths about dieting, cholesterol and eggs:
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/281949/dietnutrition_myths_eggs_egg_whites.html

anyway, i avoid eggbeaters because they taste chemical and fake to me. even though eggbeaters and such are much lower in fat, i know that eating eggs is not what got me fat! having eggs for breakfast helps me stay fuller, longer and i have much more energy though out the day.

i love scrambling 2 eggs with one piece of laughing cow light cheese. so yummy! or making breakfast burritos with tons of veggies (peppers, tomatoes, onions), eggs, chorizo (or other meat), black beans and salsa on a low cal tortilla. hardboiled eggs are a great portable snack.

ooooookaayyyyy.... i am apparently very enthusiastic about eggs! i hope this helps someone!
  • Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    I was never a huge fan of eggs either, so here are a couple of tricks I've figured out.

1. Add milk to scrambled eggs and omlettes (just a touch, not much). This adds fluffiness.
    2. Know your texture....I hate burnt eggs, but kind of like poached ones.
    3. Add flavor....cheese, spices, veggies, anything that makes it taste less eggy.

If that doesn't work, incorporate other sources or protein like whole grains, beans, cheese and even some veggies.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I've even added cottage cheese ( a good source of protein but watch the sodium) into my frittatas. yummy!
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    To all, studies show that dietary cholesterol, eggs especially, contribute very little to blood cholesterol. The over consumption of saturated and trans fats increases triglyceride levels, that is where the danger is.

I eat 9 eggs per week. and my cholesterol and triglycerides are perfectly fine.