Weighing Daily

Options
TXgolfguy
TXgolfguy Posts: 30 Member
Ok so I cant stop weighing myself daily. Does anybody else have that problem? People always tell me I shouldn't do that but I do what are your thoughts?

Replies

• spittsdykstra
    spittsdykstra Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in a firm and fast rule on this for everyone. I personally find weighing daily and recording it in MFP to be a very positive way to start the day. If I weigh myself, I am much more likely to stick to my program and record my food. If I do not weigh myself, it can start a whole day with no focus on my weight loss. We are all so individual. The only reason I would say not to weigh yourself daily is if it discourages you. Know yourself and be true to that. Best of luck to you.
  • Chase510
    Options
    I weigh myself daily :smile:

I don't think there is anything wrong with it, as long as you don't let normal scale fluctuations get you down. If you have a big dinner or a salty menu one day, know that you'll likely see a (temporary!) gain on the scale. Same with beginning a new workout routine, or sometimes even for no reason. If that will bother or discourage you, then daily weighing can be bad.

I like to check in with myself each morning, it helps me keep my focus:smile:
  • tseabee
    tseabee Posts: 22
    Options
    I weigh daily too! It helps me stay motivated if I see a loss even if it's really small and keeps me focused! :)
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in a firm and fast rule on this for everyone. I personally find weighing daily and recording it in MFP to be a very positive way to start the day. If I weigh myself, I am much more likely to stick to my program and record my food. If I do not weigh myself, it can start a whole day with no focus on my weight loss. We are all so individual. The only reason I would say not to weigh yourself daily is if it discourages you. Know yourself and be true to that. Best of luck to you.

^THIS
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily but I only log it once a week.

Do not pay attention to daily fluctuations. Pay attention to the overall trend.

I, for one, can retain an incredible amount of water. If I eat pizza, I will gain 5 pounds of water over night. I'm not exaggerating! I've watched this happen several times. I don't let that one day bother me. I will lose those 5 lbs over the next day or so.

Again, what's important is the overall trend.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you.

I personally don't. I don't even own a scale.

The scale only represents one part of the overall picture and weight can fluctuate way too much everyday.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Would not do it...will drive you crazy with normal fluctuations of the body....

I weigh myself once a week....maybe....

But you have to look at other aspects as well....rather than just a number on a scale.

Take pics over time, so you can compare results.
    Take measurements.
    Look in the mirror...
    How do you feel??

Things like that have to be taken into account as well.
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily but only to monitor my progress for the week. My official weigh-ins that I record on MFP are on Tuesdays to give me a bigger picture. I train fasted and weigh in before my first meal of the day (not when I first wake up).

The scale is not my only tool for tracking, I use a measuring tape also and take weekly "selfies". Posting my NSVs gets me the positive support I need to fuel my fire even more (we can't do it all by ourselves, I used to think I could and failed).

In my opinion, not having a scale is like buying stocks and not watching the stock price rice and fall (you'll lose your a** real quick in the case), driving your car without a speedometer (ever thought you were going 55 and looked down and saw that you were going 75 instead? Mhmm) or (my favorite) not using MFP to track calories, macros, progress. BOOM! =)

I hope this helps you!
  • megmorris2014
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. I feel that it keeps me on track with my weight loss. I know I feel it and all. I also know that weight fluctuates throughout the day as well based on what you eat. For me, I feel it is like a competition with myself and it keeps me in check because I want to see the numbers go down. As long as you aren't getting so bummed that you are stopping what you are doing then you are okay.
  • BuildBigger
    Options
    So true. I hardly ever weight myself at all. I used to all the time and it would mess with my head. I just go by how I feel and look now. The body can fluctuate 3 to 4 lbs of water per day so.....
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day but I only log it once a week.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday... only log once/week... and to make sure it's not a daily fluctuation I only log after I've seen the loss for 2 days.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options

Ditto. Although, I will say I'm out of the habit of weighing daily now. I used to do it as a reminder that set the tone for the day. There wasn't emotion involved. I just viewed the number as information and didn't get upset if I was up a pound or two because I knew it was a normal fluctuation.
    So if it helps you stay on track it's not a problem. I wouldn't advise you to weigh yourself throughout the day, though. WAY too many fluctuations after you eat and drink for it to be beneficial.
  • Greg50by50
    Options
    I weigh every day, but I know it is probably not a smart thing to do. At my weight my body can fluctuate 3 pounds a day just on water weight, but it is getting better!

I do like to see the progress though and I do need to remind myself that going up 1 pounds even after I had been "really good" the day before is not a reflection on my success or failure on my program.
  • sarawilgos1988
    sarawilgos1988 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily as my wii fit does it everytime i log in which I like and I'm losing my weight slowly but surely lol but always always log my food.
  • akj4ever12
    akj4ever12 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I find it helpful and more encouraging to weigh myself once a week around the same time each week. That way, I can see my weight go down at a steady pace
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I tend to take a scientific approach to it all. The scientific approach is NOT for the easily discouraged.

I weigh myself daily and log it weekly. And I weigh first thing in the morning, when the fluctuation is minimal.

After I weigh myself, I take a minute to think of how my behavior in the past 24 hours may have contributed to that change in weight--what I did right/wrong/differently, compared to other times.

The most important part of the scientific approach is that you're not just trying to lose weight; you're starting with the conventional knowledge of what works (the "calories in/calories out" concept) and tweaking it, trying this, trying that, to optimize your success.

This sounds like a snooze-fest for some I'm sure; for me if keeps it the routine fresh.
  • TXgolfguy
    TXgolfguy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, honestly for me when I weigh myself if I see a "bad" fluctuation on the scale it doesn't seem to discourage me it actually makes me mad and I just go to the gym and usually work out harder. Not sure if that is good or not either. I haven't measured myself but I can tell a difference in the weigh clothes are fitting and I take pictures of myself on Mondays.
  • ZEmma2012
    ZEmma2012 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily then record it on an excel spreadsheet. This way I can see last weeks weight right above it and know it has moved since the 7 days prior. My weight varies so much, this really keeps it in prospective for me with out getting discouraged.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I weight multiple times a week (not exactly daily, but still more than recommended)
    I see no problem with it as long as you realize that body weight fluctuates, and as long as you don't get hung up that you gained a half a pound over night (Which is 100% not all fat, even if you did overeat)