Asthmatic Runners?

Options
Any asthmatic runners out there? I absolutely love to run but my lungs can barely take it. My legs can go on for days and days (I've played tennis and danced ballet my entire life) but my respiratory system doesn't want anything to do with it.

Any tips? Is it possible to overcome the shortness of breath and asthma attacks or is it unhealthy and should I stick to bikes, weight training, and other shorter interval exercise and fitness routines?

Replies

• AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I have asthma as well, & usually use a rescue inhaler if it gets bad. I did some running over the summer, & I usually couldn't make it too far when I started, but I noticed the more I did it, it seemed like my lungs improved a lot. So I don't have major tips, but I think sometimes, the more you exercise, you'll notice a change in your breathing (as long as you're doing it correctly) & I think it really does help your lung capacity. I have had other friends tell me the same thing who have had breathing issues. If you feel winded, or use an inhaler, I'd recommend taking it with you just in case.
    I'm not a doctor or a professional on this, I'm just going based on what my experiences have been. I'd definitely consult a doctor if you can, maybe ask them. If you seem to do good during regular workouts, you might just improve your lungs even more for running. I have my good/bad days, but I rarely use my inhaler anymore. So I think that's kind of a positive. :smile:
    Sorry if I'm not much help.
  • Bellaloveeely
    Bellaloveeely Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Okay! Thanks girl, that helps a lot. I hope that happens for me too...I'd love to be able to keep going and not stop and go as much as I do (AKA after two laps on the track) . :smile: :tongue:
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm an asthmatic that likes to run half marathons. Is it possible to overcome asthma and become a runner? Of cours! Is it unhealthy? Quite the opposite! Running is why I don't need my maintenance inhaler anymore.

I was the girl not allowed to run the mile in gym class because the collective of teachers, parents and doctors thought I'd end up in the hospital. This is so wrong!

In summer of 2011 I decided to try running. I started a c25k type program building up to 20 mins of running that I found on runner's world. It was hard! I could only run 2 minutes at first. I started the program and i kept getting sick. It was awful! i was constantly having to stop because of childhood illnesses (I had a 1 y.o. in daycare at the time, a germy baby) it took me 4 months to make it halfway through the program. Then it started to get colder so i gave up. In spring of 2012, i started over with week one of the program. Strangely enough, it felt so easy to me. On my next run day i decided to go out and see how long i could run without stopping...it was 20 minutes! So i revised my plan and worked on adding 5 mins once a week. By the end of June 2012 I was able to run 5k in 40 mins. I found a beginner 5k program and worked on that and rolled that into half marathon training. By the end of august I cut my 5k time down to 29:52 and i ran my first Half marathon that October, 5 months after I first ran 5k without stopping.

As my mileage increased my dependence on my meds decreased. Now i run 25-30 miles per week, long runs 10-15 miles once a week, I'm training for my 5th half marathon and my 5k time is down from the original 40 mins to 26:04.

So my 3 pieces of advice for you are, use a c25k program, run the run parts slower than you even think you need to and keep at it! You can do it if you work hard enough and respect your body's wishes. It may take you longer than people without asthma to get to where you want to be, but you can still get there! Heck, people I run with these days only know I have it if I tell them!
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Do you have regular asthma or exercise induced asthma? I above exercise induced asthma and I take Singulair for it and its pretty much gone. I don't run but mostly because I just get too bored so end up quitting. Hee!

I've found that unmedicated I can still work through it if I am careful. It took some time but I had to learn what level of exertion set off my asthma, then I had to stay just below that level for as long as I could. Once I couldn't, I would lower my intensity until I caught my breath then I would pick up the effort again.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You might find that covering your nose and mouth while you run really helps, as well as breathing in through your nose. Cold air is really harsh on already strained lungs.

I have a thing called a Buff (buff.eu - here in Europe) which stays up when I run, and it's thin, and lightweight so it doesn't bother me in terms of being too hot and it wicks away moisture so it doesn't get cold and wet.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Any asthmatic runners out there? I absolutely love to run but my lungs can barely take it. My legs can go on for days and days (I've played tennis and danced ballet my entire life) but my respiratory system doesn't want anything to do with it.

Any tips? Is it possible to overcome the shortness of breath and asthma attacks or is it unhealthy and should I stick to bikes, weight training, and other shorter interval exercise and fitness routines?

Have you been diagnosed with asthma? Running is always hard at first to new runners, even those without asthma. It takes time.
  • xlunins
    xlunins Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm probably repeating what a lot of people are saying, I'm severely asthmatic (I use my inhaler maybe 3-4 times daily). However, I loved to run, so I kept on it. I'll take my inhaler about 5 minutes before I work out, I'll do a warm-up of some sort, and then I'll run and my lungs hold up fine. I'll carry my inhaler on me at all times though because you never know, but normally I just get a normal "out-of-breath" feeling that anyone would get post-run. I've also noticed that since I started running regularly, I no longer need my inhaler as much during the day (I am not on any type of controller but that's always been the case). Just start slow and build up, even if your legs can do it, don't jump right into that 5k. :)
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Try taking your as required inhaler (Salbutamol) before running, it lasts a couple of hours. If that still doesn't help talk to your GP who will be able to alter your medication and give you something that lasts longer. There are plenty of options available so it's worth talking to your doc :)
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with asthma as a young child and like another poster I was told not to participate in any sports growing up. My doctor at the time didn't do anything to treat it, just told me to avoid any potential triggers. After a particularly bad attack as a young adult I started to work with an allergist. It turns out that my asthma is triggered by both allergies and exercise. I talked to my doctor when I first started running and she encouraged me to exercise regularly and thought running was a great idea, as long as I was careful during the times when my allergy triggers are most present (ragweed & some other pollens). I take Singulair & Pulmicort daily and have a rescue inhaler also. Her advice was to use the rescue inhaler about 15 minutes before a run and carry the inhaler in case I need it while running. I haven't needed to use it during a run, and am currently training for a half marathon. Talk to you doctor!
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have asthma also. I have found out through the advice of my wellness coach that if I chose to eat Gluten Free it might help with my breathing. So, I went gluten free and I have found that I only use my inhalers maybe once or twice a week vs 2x a day. I am not claiming this is a cure all but it works for me. I met with my pulminologists and they were surprised but were thrilled with my results. Plus I love all the gf products.
  • lebbyloses
    lebbyloses Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Okay, obviously we are talking about a medical condition, so your doctor's advice trumps anything I might say. But I have asthma and run. It helps! Use your inhaler a few minutes before you go, and be careful when it is very cold or when your allergies are acting up. It gets easier as you train your lungs, but there will always be some bad days. Just be ready to deal with them safely.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I am almost halfway through the couch to 5k program. In the past I was never able to run--I have exercise induced asthma and running (and stairs) is a big trigger for me. I couldn't even run a mile in high school; would have an attack half way through. However, so far I have been able to do the intervals in c25k without using my rescue inhaler at all except for one unfortunate incident outside--I still have to avoid cold air, so I have been sticking to the treadmill until spring.

I too was discouraged from exercise/running when I was younger, and I regret all the time I wasted being out of shape.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

I think you'd have those same issues if you didn't have asthama. The only way to get into running shape is to run. And Running shape is different than any other kinds of "shape". Look into the Couch-2-5K Program and start slow. And no, it's not harmful. My asthama improved by leaps and bounds after I started running.
  • Bellaloveeely
    Options
    I'm an asthmatic that likes to run half marathons. Is it possible to overcome asthma and become a runner? Of cours! Is it unhealthy? Quite the opposite! Running is why I don't need my maintenance inhaler anymore.

I was the girl not allowed to run the mile in gym class because the collective of teachers, parents and doctors thought I'd end up in the hospital. This is so wrong!

In summer of 2011 I decided to try running. I started a c25k type program building up to 20 mins of running that I found on runner's world. It was hard! I could only run 2 minutes at first. I started the program and i kept getting sick. It was awful! i was constantly having to stop because of childhood illnesses (I had a 1 y.o. in daycare at the time, a germy baby) it took me 4 months to make it halfway through the program. Then it started to get colder so i gave up. In spring of 2012, i started over with week one of the program. Strangely enough, it felt so easy to me. On my next run day i decided to go out and see how long i could run without stopping...it was 20 minutes! So i revised my plan and worked on adding 5 mins once a week. By the end of June 2012 I was able to run 5k in 40 mins. I found a beginner 5k program and worked on that and rolled that into half marathon training. By the end of august I cut my 5k time down to 29:52 and i ran my first Half marathon that October, 5 months after I first ran 5k without stopping.

As my mileage increased my dependence on my meds decreased. Now i run 25-30 miles per week, long runs 10-15 miles once a week, I'm training for my 5th half marathon and my 5k time is down from the original 40 mins to 26:04.

So my 3 pieces of advice for you are, use a c25k program, run the run parts slower than you even think you need to and keep at it! You can do it if you work hard enough and respect your body's wishes. It may take you longer than people without asthma to get to where you want to be, but you can still get there! Heck, people I run with these days only know I have it if I tell them!

Wow, that is inspiring!!! Thank you for your story and advice. :)
  • KezJB
    KezJB Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I also have asthma and am a runner (up to half marathons).
    Start slowly and don't push yourself, I've found its helped my asthma.
    The cold air has always made my asthma worse and I find it helps if I wear a snood! My chest will be really tight beginning a winter run but by around 2k it will have settled.
  • Bellaloveeely
    Options
    Do you have regular asthma or exercise induced asthma? I above exercise induced asthma and I take Singulair for it and its pretty much gone. I don't run but mostly because I just get too bored so end up quitting. Hee!

I've found that unmedicated I can still work through it if I am careful. It took some time but I had to learn what level of exertion set off my asthma, then I had to stay just below that level for as long as I could. Once I couldn't, I would lower my intensity until I caught my breath then I would pick up the effort again.

Thanks! I'll look into Singulair! And yep- exercise induced. The best kind. :tongue: :brokenheart:
  • Bellaloveeely
    Options
    Okay, obviously we are talking about a medical condition, so your doctor's advice trumps anything I might say. But I have asthma and run. It helps! Use your inhaler a few minutes before you go, and be careful when it is very cold or when your allergies are acting up. It gets easier as you train your lungs, but there will always be some bad days. Just be ready to deal with them safely.

Okay, thank you!! :smile:
  • Bellaloveeely
    Options
    I have asthma also. I have found out through the advice of my wellness coach that if I chose to eat Gluten Free it might help with my breathing. So, I went gluten free and I have found that I only use my inhalers maybe once or twice a week vs 2x a day. I am not claiming this is a cure all but it works for me. I met with my pulminologists and they were surprised but were thrilled with my results. Plus I love all the gf products.

That's interesting! I will look into that. Thanks! :smile:
  • Bellaloveeely
    Options
    I was diagnosed with asthma as a young child and like another poster I was told not to participate in any sports growing up. My doctor at the time didn't do anything to treat it, just told me to avoid any potential triggers. After a particularly bad attack as a young adult I started to work with an allergist. It turns out that my asthma is triggered by both allergies and exercise. I talked to my doctor when I first started running and she encouraged me to exercise regularly and thought running was a great idea, as long as I was careful during the times when my allergy triggers are most present (ragweed & some other pollens). I take Singulair & Pulmicort daily and have a rescue inhaler also. Her advice was to use the rescue inhaler about 15 minutes before a run and carry the inhaler in case I need it while running. I haven't needed to use it during a run, and am currently training for a half marathon. Talk to you doctor!

Alright! Thanks! I will. :smile:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Practice, and train train train. Took me a couple years, but now my asthma isn't a limiting factor at the distances and speed I work at. Funny thing though, it can be a factor when I'm pounding really ****ing hard on the bike.

I do keep an inhaler to get those lungs nice and open, but it's not really needed anymore, so I really only use it for scuba diving.