Family dinner . . . help!

Options
reginamom
reginamom Posts: 5 Member
I am hosting a family dinner and could really use some help with coming up with a menu! I am trying to accommodate one who won't eat seafood, one with a gluten allergy, 2 people on the Atkins diet, and myself and my daughter who are counting calories! Does anyone have any great menu ideas where I don't have to cook 4 different dinners?

Replies

• stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    These are an excellent (gluten free) side - super easy to make and packed full of nutrients. Not a traditional flavor combination, but my family loved them. Since you're counting calories, you can try subbing greek yogurt for the sour cream. I don't know much about the Atkins diet, so I'm not sure how they would fit into that restriction.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/sweet_potatoes_with_warm_black_bean_salad.html
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Spiral ham
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I vote fajitas! Corn tortillas are gluten free. You can grill chicken, steak, pork, or even shrimp and then have beans, peppers and onions, sour cream, guacamole or avocado, lime, cilantro, even cheese as sides! That way everyone can take from the options and build a place according to their restrictions and preferences without feeling awkward (ie gluten free is taken care of, the seafood-less guest can have one of the other meats, Atkins followers can skip tortillas or have just one, and calorie counters can note the specific ingredients they're taking for their plates). Family style buildable dishes like that tend to work very well when there are lots of preferences because everyone can be satisfied!
  • JaimeLaRae
    JaimeLaRae Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Turkey chili with no beans, let everyone top their own with chopped onion, jalapeños, cheese, tortilla chips, hot sauce. Maybe even throw out some turkey franks and buns for chili dogs if someone wants?
  • rlmassman84
    rlmassman84 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have some similar issues when I host a family dinner. My go to meal is a roasted pork loin, grilled veggie kabobs, and French bread for those who aren't doing Atkins. Desert is usually baked apples with cinnamon and then drizzled with a little honey and some yogurt.
  • reginamom
    reginamom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love all of these ideas! Keep them coming! I can always use more . . . . for the NEXT family dinner!
  • addean1
    addean1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Lean protein and veggie sides-
    -- chicken grilled with zucchini
    --pork loin with broccoli
    -- turkey burgers- bun less for Atkins, with green beans
    -- stir fry - favorite meat and veggies
    -- kabobs-