Healthy diet but...warning TMI

Options
Hi all,

I have been an on-and-off user of myfitnesspal for the past few years. Recently I got back on track, eating healthier and exercising most days. Surprisingly, I've been really constipated since eating healthier. Before I started eating healthier about 3 weeks ago, I had no issues. Basically I was eating larger portions of less healthy foods as well as drinking a fair bit more. So I'm a bit stumped here. At first I thought maybe I was eating too much quinoa, so I cut that out, but no help. I've tried senna tea and medical laxatives, which helps that one day but then I go back to being constipated. Any ideas? I'm going to pick up some metamucil and if that doesn't work I may go to the doctor.

Thanks and sorry if I grossed you out!

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Hard to say without being able to view your food diary... But I'd guess you've cut your fat intake too low and might not be drinking enough water. How's your fresh veggie intake? I find eating plenty of leafy greens and/or bell peppers helps move things along.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You diary is close, so could you describe what you mean by "eating healthy"? Are you getting enough fat? Drinking enough liquids? Did you drastically increase your fiber intake?

Any significant change in diet can cause temporary GI problems as your gut adjusts. Fat aids in digestion, eating too little can cause constipation. Fiber also aids in digestion, but a drastic increase can cause temporary backup, especially if you are not getting enough fluids or fat.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I track fiber as one of my macros for just that reason. Hitting your fiber and fat targets and drinking lots of water will move things along. I can normally get enough fiber from fruits and veggies, but if I'm short I use psyllium husk.
  • umisquirrel
    umisquirrel Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just opened my diary--sorry I thought it was open. I think I get enough fiber but who knows. Thanks again!
  • umisquirrel
    Options
    I eat lots of fruit and veggies, but that may constitute a "drastic change" from holiday food and drink before. I think I will try the more water thing--I might not be getting enough there. I probably drink 4 or so large glasses a day.
  • Magic_Chicken
    Magic_Chicken Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i would say more water for nest few days and see it that helps before messing about with laxatives
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem for a while, someone suggested that I start my day out with at least 1-2 glasses of water, and that has helped a great deal. Took a couple days of doing it, but now I'm back to being regular. I have also found that if I do not stay hydrated well enough throughout the rest of the day that will often times cause issues as well.

Best of luck!
  • Theohariti
    Theohariti Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I had this exact same issue, Do the following:
    1. Stop using lax pills/ stop taking senna
    2. Start eating a lot more healthy fats (avocado, olive oil, nuts)
    3. Get some metamucil (the nasty orange drink mix not the pills), and make sure you drink it with a ton of water
    4. If you really are just desperate to go, then go get an enema from the drug store and use it. It's really weird, but it works immediately and you don't really need a second person to administer it.
    5. Eat slightly more, and if you are going to eat a lot of fiber you had better be backing it up with an obscene amount of water.
  • umisquirrel
    Options
    Thanks so much for the ideas! I will take all this advice to heart and hopefully I will be feeling better soon :smile:
  • healthybodyhealthylife
    Options
    I had the exact same problems for a long time - its only settled down recently after almost a year! I find gettin 30-40g fiber helps immensely. Lots and lots and LOT of water. Also another strange thing I noticed is if I have a big filling meal I tend to not end up constipated the next day as opposed to if I had small snacks and meals throughout the day. This doesn't really make any sense to me but my father and uncle also say this is the case with them. Hope the problem sorts itself out! Its NOT fun!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Diary is still closed. :smile:

But I agree with the others about checking your fat intake. Many people start eating healthier and go low or non-fat with everything and end up with this very problem. Avocados, nuts & seeds, olive and coconut oils, full fat dairy, etc, as well as plenty of fiber and water.

Good luck!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    OMG, story of my life. Travel, stress, change of diet - even just a new environment in general - screw me up. And then the minute I come home, I'm fine. It's so weird.

What helps me the most is sleep, water and exercise.

Stay away from the laxatives. They may help for a day, but they can actually make problems worse in the long term.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    5. Eat slightly more, and if you are going to eat a lot of fiber you had better be backing it up with an obscene amount of water.

??? I eat 37g of fiber per day on average, which is well above the recommendation and I don't drink 'an obscene amount of water'. I just drink when thirsty and I'm "regular". You need to get enough water, but there is no need for obscene amounts.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options

??? I eat 37g of fiber per day on average, which is well above the recommendation and I don't drink 'an obscene amount of water'. I just drink when thirsty and I'm "regular". You need to get enough water, but there is no need for obscene amounts.

It depends what you're getting the fibre from. If it's from eating psyllium husks then I think that you will indeed be wanting a lot of water (don't believe me? try spilling a large amount into the sink and deciding rather than pick it up you'll try to wash it down... yes, I learned that the hard way). If you're eating loads of vegies then you'll naturally be getting a lot of water from them so you don't need as much to offset the fibre.

For me broccoli works a treat if needed.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I find a high fiber diet actually keeps me more regular. I have struggled with back up issues most of my life, but didn't realize it until I made a change and suddenly found life could be different!

The change that helped me was eating vegetarian. I'm not saying you should or that it's for everyone, but it's certainly helped my digestive system. I do eat fish on occasion, but find when I do then I have "back up" issues the next day.

I definitely agree that drinking plenty for the next few days could really help!
  • bethyv1030
    bethyv1030 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Add lots of fiber to your diet and be sure to drink a lot of water. That should help. If not maybe try to go to your doctor for advice or maybe a prescription of some fiber regiment. Hope this helps!