Calls to lower BMI thresholds for some

Options
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25829083

Yet again BMI measurements are shown to be flawed. Surely it's time for health authorities to abandon it and just use other measurments, such as BF% to measure health.

Replies

• savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    What's interesting is that what the article says is "some groups, despite being at a healthy/average/normal weight, still have these problems that we assume are caused by being fat. That must mean that even though they're not fat, they're too fat."

But in reality it could equally mean "Perhaps, if not-fat people are having these health issues, it might be that there is some different underlying issue."
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    What's interesting is that what the article says is "some groups, despite being at a healthy/average/normal weight, still have these problems that we assume are caused by being fat. That must mean that even though they're not fat, they're too fat."

But in reality it could equally mean "Perhaps, if not-fat people are having these health issues, it might be that there is some different underlying issue."
    This x1000.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25829083

Yet again BMI measurements are shown to be flawed. Surely it's time for health authorities to abandon it and just use other measurments, such as BF% to measure health.

There is not enough medical data tying BF% to disease risk to set general standards.
    Accurate BF% measurement is expensive and requires trained personnel. At home devices do not provide consistent accurate results.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    HOw about the Doctors do their tests like blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol, etc and look at their patients and make an educated statement such as...

You are over weight or you are at a good weight but still have to much fat on you do some exercise...

BF scans etc can be exp but not everyone would need one...I mean I look at myself and know I have to much fat left...I don't need a scan to tell me that. And a doctor should be able to do the same.

As for BMI eh it's a guidline just like BF% is...use with care.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Except BF% are usually wild estimates, and accurate BF tests are expensive.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    HOw about the Doctors do their tests like blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol, etc and look at their patients and make an educated statement such as...

You are over weight or you are at a good weight but still have to much fat on you do some exercise...

Exactly, health should be measured on an individual basis using a range I appropriate tools. I dislike that doctors are able to use this one measurement to make an assessment. Similarly it's disturbing that some insurance companies use it when calculating premiums.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    BMI is intended to be a wide net that leads to additional testing in identified risk ranges. That's why the article indicates expansion of the net is appropriate for certain races.

I'd be happy to incorporate (and pay for) hydrostatic testing into my annual checkup, but I'd bet I'm a very small minority in that.

In any case, BMI obese is very likely to be on target for men, and always on target for women.