Has anyone lost weight without

really exercising? can it be done?

Replies

• pontac
    pontac Posts: 4
    Define what you mean by exercising.

Just walking up stairs is exercise.

You don't have to spend money to join a gym or buy fancy machines, but a 20 minute brisk walk, using stairs instead of elevators or running up stairs at home will all help weight loss, and make you feel and sleep better.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Yes. I lost 100# before I began to even take short walks, but if you can do any thing to move more, it will be beneficial to your overall health.
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    YES, all you need is a calorie deficit.

I have lost without exercising, but I do exercise now cause I love it :smile:
  • charliex2202
    charliex2202 Posts: 4,281 Member
    Your body burns calories just by sitting down, breathing, living etc ..so as long as you don't eat more then it says you can eat you will still lose.....

or at least thats how i look at it lol

Excercise tho will probably give you a better shape less flabby skin etc
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    I decided to walk instead of getting the bus to college. It's technically commuting but I can count it as exercise because it's a 40 min walk. So it's not really exercising but still burns calories.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    I don't do cardio exercise. I do play tennis and used to skate a lot and go clubbing/dancing...
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Yep, I didn't do any exercise while I was actively losing.
  • I've lost weight before without exercise. I'm doing it now focusing on diet only and I'm losing slowly, I think for me when I do exercise I lose weight a bit faster.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    really exercising? can it be done?

Yes, just eat less enegry than you burn.

Exercise has different effects, burning lots of energy gives you options around what you eat. If I don't burn energy I don't feel satisfied; entirely phsycological.

Resistance training helps to minimise muscle reduction, so it should lead to an improved body fat percentage.

Each to their own.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    Define what you mean by exercising.

Just walking up stairs is exercise.

You don't have to spend money to join a gym or buy fancy machines, but a 20 minute brisk walk, using stairs instead of elevators or running up stairs at home will all help weight loss, and make you feel and sleep better.

Pretty much this.

I've lost 107 lb total (including the loss reflected in my ticker, since joining MFP). I have my exercise section set up for (4) 40-minute "workouts" a week and always meet that...but I log everything from 4 min of moving boxes to 6 min of vacuuming. I do under-log, so if I walked around a zoo for 3 hours I'll put in 60 min leisurely walking.

But actually being in a gym or doing "Insanity" etc...no, I've never done that stuff. Sometimes I feel a bit weird and/or threatened (which I know I shouldn't) when people who share my HW, MFP start weight, or CW are doing all of that stuff LOL
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Yes, but your body (and your skin if you have a lot to lose) will thank you for adding exercise into your daily lifestyle.
  • JMfan
    JMfan Posts: 20 Member
    I don't do cardio exercise. I do play tennis and used to skate a lot and go clubbing/dancing...

tennis, skating, and dancing are all cardio though. just the fun kind!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    If you are asking this question I put to you that you have not found an activity that you enjoy. Once you find something that you like doing be that walks on the beach, rock climbing, horseback riding, running, swimming, volleyball, or curling (or whatever else floats your boat) you won't care that you are exercising you will just have fun and by side benefit you'll be burning calories.

I added running into my exercise routine because of the promised rate of calorie burn. Somewhere in there I actually fell in love with it and I stopped exercising and became a runner. I'll be running for as long as my feet and legs will carry me. It's not a chore or something I need to do, it's what I love to do and it's who I am.

Well that and a shameless geek but being an IT guy puts food on the table and diapers on my daughter.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    I decided to walk instead of getting the bus to college. It's technically commuting but I can count it as exercise because it's a 40 min walk. So it's not really exercising but still burns calories.

How is that not exercise?

My work is currently promoting walking/cycling to work as a way of increasing daily exercise.

EDIT: To OP, well I can tell you exercise without controlling your diet doesn't work, in my experience.
  • haybay127
    haybay127 Posts: 9 Member
    yes, just tracked my eating zero working out
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    It can be done. Working out does help with your heart health and your muscles though.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    I never look and feel as good as I do when I'm active. When I started MFP a month ago, I was starting from square one. (I have been soooooooo lazy!) I gave myself a month to ease gently into exercising. Sometimes I walked for 20 minutes, and I did a lot of 10 minute beginner videos from YouTube. It worked! I'm feeling a bit stronger, I'm sleeping better, and I'm ready to take it up a notch now.

So no, you don't have to exercise to lose weight, but you might be missing out on some great benefits.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member

tennis, skating, and dancing are all cardio though. just the fun kind!

Exactly. ;)
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    I lost 15+ pounds of my pre-pregnancy weight after I gave birth by just eating 1200 calories and walking on my lunch break while listening to audio books. :)
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Yes. I started working out after I lost my weight. Now I am toning things up. In retrospect, I would have worked out all along. I kind of feel like I am starting from square 1. Had I been doing it all along, I would be so much further along.