FRESH Beef Jerkey... ?

Options
Are fresh beef jerkey slabs healthier than say slim jims ?
I just bought $8 worth (4 slabs) and it got me thinking since the slabs (thin as paper btw) aren't packaged, but protected in a container you'd expect from a candy shop.

Replies

• fitnessmom92
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend either because of their high sodium content. Putting "fresh" on the packaging could be a marketing tool.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Well, no beef jerky is really "fresh" and I'd hardly call slim jims beef jerky. I'm not sure what the calorie count of each is, but I'm assuming that the jerky you bought has a higher protein-fat ratio than the slim jims do (because slim jims are kind of greasy). In that respect, it would probably be easier to hit your macros.

Healthy is such a subjective term here, and as long as it fits into your calorie and macro goals, eat whatever it is you want.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    As above, the very concept of beef jerky is that it's NOT fresh :).

You get some that is basically just beef with some basic flavourings, others presumably have a lot of sugar in thanks to the high carb count.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    i doubt its "fresh" unless you know who made it.. homemade jerky lacks all kinds of preservatives seen in commercial products. its mostly just seasoning and a very small amount of curing salt
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    To answer the original question, I would say beef jerky is healthier than Slim Jim beef sticks
    You can compare this to the food database or google it

Slim Jim
    Total Calories per serving 160
    Total Fat 14g
    Saturated fat 6g
    Protein 7g
    Sodium 490 mcg

Jack Link Original beef jerky
    Total Calories per serving 70
    Total Fat 0.8g
    Saturated Fat 0.3g
    Protein 12g
    Sodium 588 mcg

The downside is to beef jerky has been mentioned is the high sodium content. IMHO that is okay if it fits okay into all your other food. Beef Jerky is generally alot lower in saturated fat. I won't start the saturated fat is bad for you or not thread. But IMHO, too much saturated fat is bad and you should stick to the recommended amount by MyFitessPal app. Beef Jerky makes a nice protein snack at fairly low calories, but just watch the your total sodium levels. Slim Jim's are horrible as far as saturated fat content and double the calories.