How do you space out your meals?

Options
I guess the title should be, How do you divide your calories? That's really more what I am asking.

I have been utilizing the method of eating smaller meals throughout the day and currently I have a calorie total of 1450 for the entire day. I'm finding that I'm not sure how to divide up my meals calorie wise. I do breakfast, lunch and dinner and then 2-3 snacks in between to hold me over. So my question is this...do you eat a majority of your calories earlier in the day? Or spread it out evenly?

Replies

• Welshrider
    Welshrider Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I keep most of my calories for evening meal so I can have a good one.
    Eat small breakfast and lunch and try not to snack as mostly hungry in the evening, so enjoy a decent sized meal.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I eat everything between about 6:30 and 8:30 PM
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Really depends on the day. My meals are usually pretty evenly spread out calorie-wise. Sometimes I will load one meal more than the others, but I try to keep them pretty even. Breakfast might be a bit smaller. I also have 2-3 snacks throughout the day.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I split them up too. I have bfast at 7a, snack at 9:30ish, lunch at 12, snack at 3:30, workout, dinner at 7 or 8. If I have any calories left after dinner I'll have a little something sweet.
  • Marymoe138
    Marymoe138 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am there with you. I eat 1460 calories a day and I save my biggest calories for dinner and an evening snack.. I keep my snacks small during the day.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    There is no need to space out your meals. there is no rule, as long as you get your calories in you should be fine. Personal choice.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I eat a small-ish lunch ( 400 calories or under ). My lunch and dinner are about the same ( 400-550 calories a piece ), and I usually have a snack that is under 200 calories.

Sometimes it varies, where I might have two snacks.

When I am at work, I usually have a snack because I do not get to eat my meal when I want to.

When I am at home, I eat when I am hungry.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat 5-6 meals daily with 250-300 cals each, spaced 3-4hrs apart.
    It;s working for me.
  • mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I eat @9,12,4, 6 and 8. But that's just what works for me with my schedule. You just have to find what works best for you :smile: good luck on your journey.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    3 meals - 2 snacks - how big depends on what I have - I don't really have a set rule - It's nice to have 500-600 calories for my supper meal but if not I make it work. When I am back at work next week I will likely be more structured as I will only have what I take to work with me.
  • blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast when I wake up. Usually noon because I am a very late nighted due to hubby being a 3rd shifter. Then I eat every 4 hours during the day, staying in my calories. I have no set time. If I am hungry I eat. Simple.
  • Raiden091
    Raiden091 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast before I leave for work and pack a lunch box filled with individually wrapped items. Throughout the day at work, maybe every 2 hours or so, I'll eat something. Dinner at 6 PM and the occasional beer/wine/dessert later. :-)
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I try to have about 300-400 calories for breakfast and have 100-200 calorie snacks 4 times throughout the day
  • PRprincess
    PRprincess Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    During the work week I eat Breakfast at 8am, a snack around 10:30am, lunch at either 11:30am or noon, a snack around 3:30pm and dinner between 6-7pm. On days off and the weekend it varies. You have to do what works for you, you'll figure it out before you know it.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    My work schedule is a mess. I am there early as 4am and leave as late as 12 midnight. I eat when I get a break. When I eat doesn't matter, what does is that I plan my meals whether I bring from home or buy. That way there's no surprise calories. Weekends I have brunch with the family sometime after 10, snack in between and have dinner when the husband makes it.
  • bloggymomx
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry but I eat everything before 8:30PM if possible. Depending on how late I get home from work and how many breaks I can take.
  • taylorjmacarthur
    Options
    for optimal body comp … you should spread your protein over 4 feedings. I personally think more if possible. Dr. Layne did a bunch of work on the leucine threshold and amount of times you should feed protein.

basically… it's not ideal to eat all your protein in one sitting …

by maximizing muscle mass …. you maximize your metabolism … i.e improve body comp.

I argue the same for carb's …. spreading them evenly throughout the day defiantly helps me with energy and mental processing.

I know this is going to russell a lot of jimmies, but i've done 1 meal a day (IF 16/8) , 3 meals, 6 meals , and 10 meals…. and i prefer somewhere between 4-6 feedings a day.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    180 calorie breakfast. 700 calorie lunch. 1000 calories for dinner.
  • Bethany0214
    Bethany0214 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! You've all given me some great info!