Ideas for white fish?

Options
Hi All,

Just looking for a few ideas! I love white fish and have bought a pack of 6 white fish fillets. I'm after a few ideas for flavouring the fish or any simple sauces I can make? It can get abit boring having it plain!

All answers are appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Something like a fish stew or curry can be good.

You can make it with less oil/fat - and add extra veggies on the side.

This one looks good

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/532640/summer-fish-stew-with-rouille

Or for simplicity make a parcel using parchment paper or tin foil - and place some lemon, spices, herbs, onion or whatever in side and cook. Flavours the fish nicely -- with minimum effort.
  • ChayB
    ChayB Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite quick ones is to simply rub a tablespoon of curry paste on it (I use tikka) and grill it, tasty, quick and easy, no pots and pans required!
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    When I buy tilapia or something, and I'm not a big fish person, I seem to season it with lemon pepper quite often. I don't know why but it tastes so good yet it's so simple.
  • fox2star
    fox2star Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just had some cod the other day baked with peach mango salsa on top....it was great!
  • zaraheron1
    Options
    Ah wow thanks everyone, some great ideas! Curious about the mango :happy: !!!
  • sls1989
    sls1989 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Steamed fish is nice, steam it on some bok choy with soy sauce and chilli :-)
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Throw it in the crockpot and make a fish stew/chowder or grill it and top with mango salsa.

EDIT:
    Just had some cod the other day baked with peach mango salsa on top....it was great!

^^ Yes! It's delicious!
  • jadetigereyes
    jadetigereyes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I typically broil or saute - it's quick and easy and gets the fish just a tad crispy without all the breading and whatnot you'd normally need to achieve that flavor. Lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper are my go to seasonings; occasionally I'll add paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, or even a teaspoon of soy sauce to marinate the fish for more flavor.

Enjoy!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    We love a recipe called "Yummy Crispy Baked Fish" - we usually use tilapia but mahi-mahi or swai work well too and I imagine any other fairly mild white fish would be fine. it goes as follows:

Yummy Crispy Baked Fish

Ingredients
    1 lb tilapia fillet
    Milk mixture
    1/4 cup milk
    1/2 teaspoon vinegar
    1 tablespoon brown mustard or 1 tablespoon honey mustard
    Breading
    1/2 cup cornmeal
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon thyme
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, adjust to your taste

Directions
    Mix milk, vinegar and mustard and let set for 15 minutes. This will make a mustardy, buttermilky dressing to coat the fish.
    In a separate bowl mix cornmeal with all the seasonings.
    Dip fish fillets in the milk mixture and then in the cornbread mixture.
    Spray broiling pan with cooking spray or brush with a little olive oil.
    Place fillets on prepared pan and place pan under broiler 4 inches from heat. Cook for about 4 minutes per side, until fish becomes flaky and is cooked through.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I like to mix Italian breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese to make a yummy coating for white fish. I also found a spice recipe online that allows me to make my own low sodium "Italian" seasoning that can be added to gluten free breadcrumbs or panko. The Internet is a wonderful source of recipes.:bigsmile:
  • rlmassman84
    rlmassman84 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Rub it with a Mexican seasoning mix and broil. Then break it up into chunks and wrap it up in a tortilla with some cabbage with a squeeze of lime.
  • kat5s
    kat5s Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Really good and easy...Also cut some calories by reducing olive oil

Fish Tagine with Tomatoes, Capers, and Cinnamon
    Gourmet | December 2007
    by Maggie Ruggiero

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Fish-Tagine-with-Tomatoes-Capers-and-Cinnamon-240945

ingredients
    3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 (15-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, chopped
    1 1/2 tablespoons drained capers
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    4 (6-ounce) pieces hake or halibut fillet (about 1-inch-thick)
    preparation
    Heat cumin in oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, capers, cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 10 minutes.
    Pat fish dry and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, then add to skillet. Cover and simmer until fish is just cooked through, 7 to 10 minutes.
    Per serving: 223 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated), 36 mg cholesterol, 473 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 24 g protein

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Fish-Tagine-with-Tomatoes-Capers-and-Cinnamon-240945#ixzz2rA0g9TFa
  • lisaliang
    Options
    I made this last night and it was delicious! I used halibut since that's what I had on hand. The nutrition info has been entered in MFP already.

Miso Glazed Cod from Ellie Krieger's "The Food You Crave" (6 servings, 220 cal)

Ingredients
    6 (6-ounce) black cod fillets, or regular cod fillets
    1/3 cup low-sodium blond or white miso
    1/4 cup dark brown sugar
    1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
    2 tablespoons mirin (Japanese cooking wine)
    Toasted sesame seeds and scallions, for garnish, optional
    Directions
    Preheat broiler.

Rinse fish fillets and pat dry with paper towels. Combine miso, brown sugar, sesame oil and mirin and stir well until brown sugar is fully dissolved.

Brush about 2 tablespoons miso glaze on each fish fillet. Marinate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 1 hour. Place fish under broiler for 3 to 4 minutes, or until top is slightly charred and glaze has caramelized. Remove fish from oven and brush with remaining glaze. Lower oven to 375 degrees F. Cook an additional 5 to 6 minutes, until fish is flaky but not overcooked.

If desired, serve with toasted sesame seeds and scallions.

If you're trying to cut down on sugar, this Sauce Niçoise from Moosewood Simple Suppers is delicious on fish (if the link doesn't work, just search google books for Sauce Niçoise Simple Suppers):

http://books.google.com/books?id=wsRr9NeYVX4C&lpg=PT454&ots=BYtPZkw42C&dq=Sauce Nicoise simple suppers moosewood&pg=PT454#v=onepage&q=Sauce Nicoise simple suppers moosewood&f=false
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Rub it with a Mexican seasoning mix and broil. Then break it up into chunks and wrap it up in a tortilla with some cabbage with a squeeze of lime.

Yes! I was going to suggest tacos!! If you're short on carbs/calories for the day you can use lettuce instead of tortillas, and I like to mix lime juice and a little light sour cream and a teeny bit of green tabasco to make a sort of lime crema sauce. And I tend to saute mine in a bit of olive oil rather than broil. But either way - TACOS!
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    i use halibut as my white fish

i make breaded halibut and pan fry it in bit size pieces

Parmesan halibut (with italian seasoning and some breadcrumbs)

macadamia nut halibut (similiar to Parmesan but no Parmesan)
  • sminkica
    Options
    can't ever go wrong with olive oil, lemon, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper.
  • imcam1
    imcam1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Cumin and chili powder, serve it as fish tacos or just Mexican-inspired fish.
  • robinmmurphy3
    robinmmurphy3 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Yes! I was going to suggest tacos!! If you're short on carbs/calories for the day you can use lettuce instead of tortillas, and I like to mix lime juice and a little light sour cream and a teeny bit of green tabasco to make a sort of lime crema sauce. And I tend to saute mine in a bit of olive oil rather than broil. But either way - TACOS!

Fish or even SHRIMP tacos are my absolute favorite!! You can use the Mission small, thin corn tortillas and they are only 40 calories apiece. I cook the fish and shrimp in a frying pan with a bit of coconut oil and a generous amount of cumin and garlic until it almost carmelizes. Then add cabbage (or lettuce), tomato, onion, a bit of lowfat sour cream, and cilantro. They are absolutely DELISH!!!
  • zaraheron1
    Options
    Amazing responses guys, thanks all so much. I've printed the whole topic out and will be trying these ideas out soon!