I'm new and could use some advice.

Options
I'm trying to lose weight by eating healthier and low impact exercise. I am physically handicapped and also have a lower back disc problem. I'm doing yoga and walking. Also I have a very limited income so I can't afford a lot of food, so I'm working with very basic food. I also have celiac, so I am not able to eat any gluten. Which limits me.

I'm just wondering if this is going to be enough to lose weight? I just started so I'm working out the specifics. I'm trying not to eat after 8pm but find that I'm going to bed with hunger pains. Is there something to help with that? Basically what I'm getting at is that I need some people with a little more experience that are willing to let me ask them questions. Thanks!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what time you eat. If you eat at a deficit you will lose weight. Exercise lets you eat more, but it's not required.

Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Find reliable database entries. (There's a lot of incorrect data in there.) Weigh your food. If you don't lose, try eating back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • HomesteadHoney
    Options
    Lately, we have been having fruit n vegie smoothies for dinner. It has surprised me that I am not so hungry.
    We put some type of non-GMO soybean powder in and it is supposed to help you get full. It is expensive, though.
    I also load my smoothie up w broccoli stems n raw greens, a little juice for flavor. I was theorizing that the fiber helped me stay full.
    I also find going to bed early helps. The later I stay up, the more I tend to hit the snacks.
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Sure you can absolutely lose weight by controlling your diet very carefully.

After a super quick look at your diary, if you're still hungry you probably need to go more for the lean protein (chicken, red meat in smaller quantities), and bulk up on your veges to fill you up
  • HomesteadHoney
    Options
    Thanks for the tips on logging meals.
  • rosevalleygirl23
    rosevalleygirl23 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It takes a little while to get used to eating less food. Give your body a chance to get used to the changes. And yes, you can lose weight with light or moderate exercise. Heck, you can lose weight with no exercise. Logging accurately really does the trick.

As far as the evening snacking goes, I would go ahead and plan a snack at that time. Maybe some fruit or veggies. Raw vegetables are hardly any calories, they don't cost that much, and they are good for you too!

I pretty much don't snack at all. I opt for dessert instead. I used to have a cup of green tea when I was feeling snacky.
  • ralguzman
    Options
    That's a really good idea, I do really like tea. Do you find that this quenches your hunger a bit?
  • ralguzman
    Options
    Also thanks everyone for all the advice. Smoothies sound good and also I'm really working on some affordable protein to pack into my diet. I really appreciate the help!
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight by eating healthier and low impact exercise. I am physically handicapped and also have a lower back disc problem. I'm doing yoga and walking. Also I have a very limited income so I can't afford a lot of food, so I'm working with very basic food. I also have celiac, so I am not able to eat any gluten. Which limits me.

I'm just wondering if this is going to be enough to lose weight? I just started so I'm working out the specifics. I'm trying not to eat after 8pm but find that I'm going to bed with hunger pains. Is there something to help with that? Basically what I'm getting at is that I need some people with a little more experience that are willing to let me ask them questions. Thanks!

I am disabled, and am limited to walking and yoga/pilates type moves that I've adapted to be able to do them (if I had access to a pool I could swim but that's out for the time being). The majority of my weight loss has come from counting calories. Your food does not have to be expensive but you might need to put in extra work, depending on how cheap you go. Also, don't worry about when you eat--it makes NO difference when you eat your calories. The only thing that matters is calories in vs. calories out.

I definitely don't have all the answers but I'm here plugging away doing my thing and am happy to answer any questions and if I don't know the answer I'll try to help you find it.

Best of luck to you--you can do this!