Teacher's aide on leave after modeling photos surface

Options

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Well, she put the pics on the internet, someone was going to find them. If they find her actions compromise her effectiveness in the classroom, she may be out of a job completely.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    if we don't want teachers getting second jobs, maybe we should pay them better. especially if we're "holding them to a higher standard". lets reflect that with pay.

Pay rates were not mentioned in the article nor in the post, so you assume what she is being paid, right?.

actually - it says she is on paid administrative leave in one of the first paragraphs.

that's very true. and, just to throw information out there, average teacher's aid salaries for Fitchburg, MA is $21,743. A more generous salary for that location is $28,546.

Now, explain to me how anyone can be surprised that this woman felt it necessary to get a second job.
  • Fitchburg is just up the road from me. I think I have to go investigate more into this matter. I'll post my findings later.
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    if we don't want teachers getting second jobs, maybe we should pay them better. especially if we're "holding them to a higher standard". lets reflect that with pay.

Pay rates were not mentioned in the article nor in the post, so you assume what she is being paid, right?.

Don't need to mention pay rates as the interwebs is a great place. http://www1.salary.com/MA/Fitchburg/Teacher-Aide-salary.html

Now having been down in MA a number of times I doubt that you could live on that. Of course you could go look up rents, etc.

She did nothing wrong other than offend a bunch of antiquated prudes IMO.
  • bperkins88
    bperkins88 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I think we all need to see exactly how sexy these pictures are in order to make a proper determination on if this is justified or not....
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    This thread is meaningless without pics.

Don't need another strike, but the news had her Instagram: http://instagram.com/kaity_967
  • bperkins88
    bperkins88 Posts: 357 Member
    Options

Don't need another strike, but the news had her Instagram: http://instagram.com/kaity_967

Yummy. Wish I had teachers like that when I was in high school . lmao
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I don't post racy pics with my head because of my job. Maybe the aid should have been smarter. Life isn't fair.

Kinda hard to model without your head. But really, if she was in the exact same outfit, but a JCPenney catalog, I somehow doubt this would be an issue. Or if she was in the same outfit, but plus-sized. My bet, it's some jealous, overweight mom who was the anonymous tipster.

Wow, strong assumption. :noway:
    Yeah, kind of what I was thinking...
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I feel like teachers should be held to a higher standard than most other professions. Modeling is one thing but racy/provocative modeling is a whole other thing. I'm not really sure if she should lose her teaching job over this but whatever.

If your argument is that they should pay her more then she wouldn't need another job then you clearly don't understand the free market.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Word.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options

It was mentioned on the news yesterday morning when I was watching. $12.00 an hour.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Wow, strong assumption. :noway:

But probably not wrong or far off.

Well actually you have no idea, and it could have been any number of types of people. Weird assumption.

That said OP - I agree with your original post - people in general are too worried about the "next man" and what they are doing. Sad.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Eh, after seeing the pics on instagram.... Some were inappropriate for a teacher. There is one photo where she is completely nude, covering her nipples with her fingertips. That goes a little beyond modeling photos or lingerie.

I think the photos are great, but as a teacher, common sense would tell me not to post those online. What if a student found her on Instagram and saw those? As a parent, I don't know how I'd feel about seeing those pics of my child's teacher.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Crikey. Back in a bit!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Back.

I was expecting catalogue shots not those kinds of shots.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Crikey. Back in a bit!

Make sure you wash your hands. :laugh:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I feel like teachers should be held to a higher standard than most other professions. Modeling is one thing but racy/provocative modeling is a whole other thing. I'm not really sure if she should lose her teaching job over this but whatever.

If your argument is that they should pay her more then she wouldn't need another job then you clearly don't understand the free market.
    I was just listening to a story on NPR for someone advocating for higher pay for teachers (here in Texas, I think the average pay is $47k, but no clue what it would be for a teacher's aid). The problem they seem to be having is that a lot of schools are having problems with the kids not behaving, and on top of it, the parents ridicule and blame the teachers for everything (even if their kids are slacking off or not getting it). So, many of the younger teachers are just walking away because "no one deserves to be treated like that at their job". They kind of have a point, but I guess it's something you have to deal with at any customer service job.

But, they are expecting a teacher shortage once the babyboomer teachers start retiring.
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    She is a teachers aide, not a teacher...does anyone know the difference?

A teacher goes to college, does internships and passes a state licensing exam. Most are now being required to obtain a Masters degree within certain timeframes.

A teacher's aide walks into the school off the street and says "hey I need a job, have any openings". There are no further qualifications required. They make more than fast food workers but have the same qualifications.

That being said I do believe teachers (licensed) deserve more money. My wife is a second grade teacher in South Florida with 12 years of experience and makes only $41k. Even if you argue that they have 2 months off a year, her annualized salary is only $49,200.

This teachers aide is ridiculously hot--if I was a woman and had her body, I would show it off also...Teaching is not this woman's goal or desire. Its quite obvious this job is only a means to an end....modeling. or motocross.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Dang it, my computer won't load that page. How can I evaluate the arguments here without being able to view the evidence?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Infuriating! NOTHING she did interfered with her job, nor was in any way illegal. And whoever sent in the anonymous photos is a douche.
    No, but school employees can't do things "regular" people can. Where I grew up, a teacher who was drunk in public could get fired. That meant if he or she was in a bar drinking, did not drive and did not cause any scene -- just the simple act of being drunk outside of his or her own home.

It's in their contract.