Swimming with a t-shirt on

Options
Having done a google search plus a quick zip around the forums, I couldn't find anything definitive, so fingers crossed you guys may be able to give me some answers.

I started swimming again regularly a few weeks ago. I love swimming, I really do- I can quite happily swim lengths for an hour +(and expect to go even further soon as I'm getting a waterproof mp3 for my birthday)- but, I can't help but feel after an hour I've not really pushed myself very far. Sure, I get out of breath when I do stop and it takes a minute or two for my heart rate to settle, but I feel like (if you'll excuse the phrase) I could just keep going with this steady-state cardio for quite some time. ( I'm a runner normally, I've ran marathons distances now, so I'm very well aware I probably could just keep going for a good few hours if I had the time! )

I have been including smaller sessions of ten minutes- of which I am to slowly build up to longer sessions - of 'pushing myself' (mainly using front crawl instead of breast stroke) to go faster in the pool, which does get me more out of breath, but I was curious- would wearing a t-shirt in the pool for the extra weight be worth thinking about for another option? Surely the t-shirt would add extra weight, so extra resistance, and would be harder on my muscles?

I did do a quick google search, but it seems most people wear a t-shirt to either cover excess weight or stop sun burning. I know if I want to continue swimming for exercise I will need to up my game, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to how. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• waltbran
    Options
    Not sure if a t-shirtwould work and you may scarifce form if it isn't fitted but I see people at my pool train with a swim parachute to increase strength! Not as cheap as a t - shirt but a good tool.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    It can certainly help. When I swam competitively, most guys practiced in meet suits (speedo type) but I wore trunks to practice in all the time. Then when I went to compete and wore the speedo I got a huge boost. The extra resistance is considerable. I have to ask, thought...why not just swim faster?

I guess the real question is: what are you hoping to achieve with swimming?
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'll have a look into swimming parachutes!

As for what I want out of it.... I'll be really honest with you- I do it for fun. Much like my running, I completely understand that I'm never going to be fast enough to do anything 'seriously'. But, I also want to get a good workout bang for my time if that makes any sense! I know whilst swimming for an hour now is fine, but in a few months time when I'm more 'used' to swimming again for that hour it won't be as effective any more- if that makes any sense? I liken it to my running- a year ago I struggled to get around 10k, now 10k is pretty 'easy'.

It isn't easy if I aim for a faster time, or wear a backpack: which is what I want to try and get out of my swimming. I'll keep increasing my speed, but I was just looking for an alternative to speed work for a bit of variety.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    In that case, I see no reason not to add resistance. Try swimming in trunks and pantyhose. Jesus will come talk to you.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm always very inclined to belittle the idiots at the pool swimming in their clothes. Don't do it. If swimming isn't hard enough. Use water weights.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    You need to look into drills.
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    why not swim faster? like runners do to increase times.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I'm always very inclined to belittle the idiots at the pool swimming in their clothes. Don't do it. If swimming isn't hard enough. Use water weights.

Well you sound pleasant...
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Admittedly, I cannot answer the question. However, a wet tshirt does not stop sunburn. Been there, didn't work and OUCH!

Good luck!
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend a shirt at all. I just remember them being tangly.

Most pools usually have equipment you can use for drills or training.

Once you have a good endurance going you can add sprints, or just use arms, or just kicking,

Im sure if you google you can find drills and plans to help you improve your swimming.
  • Huffdogg
    Options

I'm always very inclined to belittle the idiots on the forum throwing out insulting generalizations. If courtesy isn't hard enough, you're not doing it.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    The t-shirt would add a little drag- but not the real push you're looking for to take your workouts up a notch. Try swimming a pre-planned program with varying drills, speeds, and distances. I like the Speedo pace club workouts (even though they aren't very good at addition sometimes and I have to figure out the total distance myself.

The "Total Body Health" 8-week program is a 2x per week program that averages 3,600 yards per workout (2 miles). I like that one best so far- but there are a lot of other options on that site.