How to deal with soreness?

Options
I'm still super sore from my first high intensity aerobics workout on Tuesday. I want to go today but I don't know if it's okay for me to go and not hurt anything. I could be wrong but over working already over worked muscles can be bad right? Also was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to help work out the soreness.

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between sore and pain that can be indicative of a bigger problem.

I'm not an expert, but here's what I do.

If I'm just sore, I get in a good stretch, take some Advil and keep on going. I do this because if I wait until I'm not sore anymore to work out again, I'll only prolong it. If I am are so sore that walking really hurts, then I take a day off (or have a light day) and get back to it the next day.

I'm going through this right now because I took 6 weeks off of CrossFit and now I'm back. I worked out Monday, worked through soreness on Tuesday, took of Wednesday and when back today. I'm not nearly as sore today as I was on Tuesday.
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    agree with the women above. Big difference between sore and pain. I do my high intensity workout one day and run or jog the next. This gives my muscles a chance to "heal" but still gives me exercise everyday. Everyone is different. But I have come to enjoy that soreness but I guess I am weird. lol
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I just Give my muscles a little massage every now and then and stretch but that's it. I do take a day or so off from working out.
  • Raven2evil
    Raven2evil Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I did a light walk, I'm not at jogging level yet. I figured doing light cardio couldn't hurt. I usually don't do high intensity workouts like that. High intensity cardio yes but the weight part of it I usually treat for endurance than strength. Ill go tonight though. No pain, no gain, right? :p
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Normally if you are sore the day after a workout, even very sore, that's normal. But if you're very sore, not slightly, 2 days after the workout, then that's an indication that your workout was more challenging for your level than it should have been and you should give yourself another day to recover (see how to recover in next paragraph...it doesn't mean take a day off from any physical activity). When you work out, it creates little micro-tears in your muscles, that's what creates the soreness. A little soreness is good, your body heals the tears & those micro tears make your muscle stronger. If you're too sore, then that indicates it's excessive tears & can actually be detrimental to strengthening those muscles. Regarding the advice to just take some "Advil" (or any other pain relief) & do your workout, it's NEVER a good idea to do a workout where a pain reliever might be masking pain that could be telling you that you're about to injure yourself. When you do a workout, you should be able to feel everything that's going on. If you're working w/a trainer, talk to them about backing off a bit on the intensity. If you're working out in a class, consider backing off a bit...better to do that than risk injury that could sideline you.

RECOVERY...gentle workouts are actually good, because they get the circulation going into those sore muscles, which aids healing. So an easy run, bike ride, or walk...whatever doesn't make things hurt too bad. You could also increase the time you do it, since it'll be an easier workout....so longer, but easier. The first 24 hours that you're very sore, ice is good on the sore spots, to reduce swelling. After 24 hours, then heat increases circulation, which again helps heal things faster. Whether ice or heat, shoot for 20 min on, 10 min off, repeating....if you leave it on too long, the benefits aren't as good. Massaging the area gently also helps it heal faster. It's ok to take anti-inflammatories if you're not going to be working out, to reduce inflammation in the sore muscles. Make sure that it IS an anti-inflammatory though...Ibuprophen (Motrin or Advil), aspirin, naproxen (Alleve)....but NOT Tylenol, which is only pain relief NOT anti-inflammatory. But as always, it's good to check w/your doctor for the best treatment for YOU.

Don't let this discourage you, keep on keeping on...it'll get easier & easier.
  • michail71
    michail71 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    The best solution to deal with muscle soreness (delayed onset muscle soreness - DOMS) is to just keep moving. It's worse after periods of rest or inactivity. Get up, walk around, stretch and keep up the exercise. There are some nutritional/supplement ways to deal with it but that has to be in place before the activity and those impacts are really minimal.

But in your case I'd take it easy today and just take a long walk.

Eventually your body adapts to the new movement patterns and the soreness doesn't happen after a short while. It's only when you do something new that this happens.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've found that a bath with epsom salts works wonders.
  • Raven2evil
    Raven2evil Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I did a football boot camp aerobics class with my mom. It was really intense to the point that I did have muscles "collapse" so to speak. Like in a plank where you basically can't hold it so your arms start shaking just before they give up and you fall out of form. Lol and with my abs it hurts to sneeze sometimes... Don't get me started on stairs. :p But it does seem like if I do go I may actually hurt myself so I'll just stick to a walk/jog again and maybe try a Epsom salt bath when I get back home.