RUNNERS: Road or Sidewalk ?

Options

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    In residential areas (speed limit of 25mph or less), roads, especially if visibility is bad. I have twisted my ankle badly by tripping on degraded sidewalks, which are usually badly maintained compared to roads.

In busy areas (>25mph), sidewalks or the shoulder.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I run WITH traffic in the road, just to irritate cyclists.
  • roblock81
    roblock81 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    haha this is horrible but I run in peoples front yards most the time right next to the side walk. If not my shins flare up :)
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid running on concrete whenever I can. It's a lot harder on the knees and other joints, than running on asphalt.
    I hear this all the time but I never really agreed with it. It is true that concrete is about 5 times harder (or more dense) than asphalt, but the energy absorbed by either of them is so miniscule I don't think it will really matter. That's just my theory though, I don't have any scientific data to back it up. But I figure I have a better chance of getting hit by a car running in the road than hurting my knees because I'm running on concrete instead of asphalt.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I've heard mention of it being 'better' before - does anyone know if there's any testing that's shown that the difference in 'hardness' does actually affect runners?

Just looking at it and the fact that, say, a motorbike accelerating at full whack (a lot of force) doesn't seem to particularly bother either and that it takes many repeated runs of lorries or high-downforce vehicles pulling big-gees to start to cause problems to tarmac, I'd have instinctively presumed it was hard enough not to make a difference.
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Whenever possible…neither. I love to run on trails. So much easier on my legs. They don't even have to be rough trails. I love the bridle paths through our local parks and the crushed gravel bike paths. It's worth the short drive to get to them.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I always run on sidewalks, that's what they're there for. Roads are for cars and bikes, sidewalks are for all other pedestrians. Running in roads just impedes traffic and puts you more at risk to getting hit.

False. No they aren't. I have run 34K miles over 25+ years and avoid sidewalks at all costs unless I have no other choice. There is a reason for bumper stickers that say "share the road..with a runner".

The reason for advocating using roads is not about confrontation it is about injury. The force running on asphalt is significantly less than the pounding you take on sidewalks. Run on sidewalks enough and you are going to get hurt. Now if you are a 2 or 3 time a week jogger going short distance, then forget this advice. But if you want to run and perform at your best, find the surfaces that allow for that.

Clearly you don't do something stupid and run in high traffic areas, but for the most part if you are out there early enough you have plenty of room even if a few cars go by. And who says you can't just run on side streets? I ran 5.7 miles this morning and less than a mile of that was on a road with traffic. Some parts I stayed on the sidewalk, but otherwise I was running in the face of traffic on the road.

I hear some comments about running on sidewalks because they are more level, and that is certainly true but unless the angle is fairly dramatic this is a non issue.
    In my humble opinion, that's a myth. Yes, asphalt is softer, but like I said before neither surface is going to absorb much energy when struck with a shoe, the difference is miniscule. You don't have to believe me but I am a road engineer so I have a pretty good understanding of pavements. You don't have to tell me how many miles you've ran and that you're an expert because I am no novice and I do just fine and stay injury free on the sidewalks.

Also, I run with my dog and I don't want him jumping in front of a car if I'm running in the road. Also, most roads are built with about a 2% crown, so I feel like that puts a more constant stress on the knees and ankles. Sidewalks aren't always flat but they have more variation. Also, a lot of the roads around here are concrete anyway, so I always shake my head when I see someone running in the road and I have to slow my car down and go around them even though the sidewalk is completely clear. Also, I run in the afternoon and there's always a lot of traffic around here, if you live in an area with no traffic or want to run early in the morning be my guest, just be careful about it.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Through my neighborhood, I run on the asphalt road instead of the cement sidewalks. On the busier roads around my neighborhood, most have what the city calls "multi-purpose trails". It is an asphalt path, wider than a regular sidewalk, intended for pedestians and bicycles. I live in a very runner friendly city. Be jealous!
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS sidewalks when available. But I usually run on the trail. Sidewalks are for pedestrians. Roads are for wheels. Plus, if you are always running on the same side of the road you can develop stress injuries. Roads are not flat, they tilt toward the curb to help with rain runoff. Sidewalks have a little variation, with curbs and shoulders and cracks...helps with proprioception.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I run on Pavements where there are some and if not I'm on the road, when I say road I mean like country lanes.
  • Tomahawk3Niner
    Options
    In Tucson, IF we have sidewalk available that's a big if... there's not a whole lot of it except for on major roadways, and even then it's a crapshoot -- if they are available they are usually being parked on or are so broken up they'd be dangerous to run on. I'll stick to the bike lanes. The crazy cyclists in this city will just have to deal with it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I cycle and run (sometimes)...the road and bike lanes are for cars and bikes...not pedestrians. When I run, it's usually on designated paths or the sidewalk. Runners in the bike lane piss me off to no end because i often have to move into traffic to get around them which often requires me slowing down my pace to time it, etc.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Road when it's safe and available, otherwise the sidewalk is fine. I prefer the former primarily because in my area there are cracks and large trees pushing parts of the sidewalk up, plus there is no "edge" to worry about in the road. I've rolled my ankle twice hitting those edges.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    As a driver, please for the love of God stay on the sidewalks and trails if you have them.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    The issue for me with sidewalks is cracks, overhanging branches, and pedestrians. On a residential street I'll run in the road, on an arterial I will stay on the sidewalk, but sometimes hop onto the road if there are pedestrians on the sidewalk. Always run against traffic!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid running on concrete whenever I can. It's a lot harder on the knees and other joints, than running on asphalt.
    I hear this all the time but I never really agreed with it. It is true that concrete is about 5 times harder (or more dense) than asphalt, but the energy absorbed by either of them is so miniscule I don't think it will really matter. That's just my theory though, I don't have any scientific data to back it up. But I figure I have a better chance of getting hit by a car running in the road than hurting my knees because I'm running on concrete instead of asphalt.
    Same here. I haven't run into any actual studies, just anecdotes and broscience.

Whether it is concrete or asphalt, the effective spring rate is of the ground is MUCH, MUCH higher than your shoe/foot and your leg. If you are running with good form, you should have a slightly bent knee and absorbing almost all of that energy in your leg.

FWIW, I run in the road against traffic in the neighborhood, on the sidewalk otherwise, and on a dirt path wherever possible.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Also - (out for a run tonight) around here and in a lot of the UK the pavements are tarmac of some sort anyway. It's not exactly the same as the road - different colour and so on, even in bits that don't really see use on both of them - but definitely not just concrete.
    In some cases where I live ('Bronte country') there's lot of cobbled roads - sometimes the pavements are considerably more consistent than the road, more grippy and so on.

Another similar circumstance - I've done wheelies and stoppies on tarmac and concrete on motorbikes. If they've come down hard, I've not noticed any difference between the two. Ok, you've got 35psi in the tyre and suspension, but if you've messed up, it can drop harder than a foot would fall when running, I'm pretty sure :).
  • fitgirlpolitickin
    Options
    I run on the sidewalks! I think it's pretty selfish of people to run on the road ESPECIALLY when there are visible cars coming your way! Not to mention it's also dangerous.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I live in an area with no sidewalks so road it is. However there isn't a lot of traffic where I live either so that's not even an issue.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    I have no sidewalks. So road it is. Dodging cars adds an agility workout to my run.