C25K Rest Days

Options
Hey all!

I am doing C25K (on week 2 -- I know I'm still new) and am starting to feel the desire to run instead of dreading it -- or any other workout -- for the first time. I know that resting is essential and I don't want to burn myself out on the program but I have a ton if weight to lose, preferably in the next 8 months or so. Does anyone have any recommendations of fun calorie-burners for these "off" days that won't interfere with the rest from running?

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You can do anything that's low impact. It's the impact you need a break from, not the actual muscle use. So you can swim, bike, do yoga, lift weights, walk, use an elliptical...whatever.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    When I was running, I alternated running days with strength training days.
  • betreich
    betreich Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I did C25k last year and cycled on my non C25k days, uses different muscles and is low impact, so worked well,
  • davidsonl13
    Options
    I do strength training on my off days.
  • velocityc6
    velocityc6 Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I circuit train on the off days, tomorrow is W7D3
  • skorenfeld123
    skorenfeld123 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I didn't realize it was the impact that was the issue--that opens up a lot of possibilities!
  • skdaeffler
    skdaeffler Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I thought I was crazy starting C25K in January!! Now I feel better that I'm not alone. Woohoo!! :happy:

I am also on Week 2, just finished day one in fact. I walk every chance I get. I am determined to run at least one 5K this spring and continue from there. Next year maybe my goal will be a 10K. I have been very excited about doing this training, but I must admit I was very nervous about today. I have NEVER ran before and upping my time to 90 seconds (though an insignificant change) sounded petrifying to me. Once I was done, I pat my own back and now I'm looking forward to Friday.

Best of luck to you.
  • betreich
    betreich Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hang in with the program - it really works. When I did it last year I was 56yo and had never run before - I now run regularly just to get some regular exercise and keep healthy, and to my complete surprise enjoy and look forward to it.
  • kaaabney
    kaaabney Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just started with week 1 day one last night. I have several questions:
    When you jog, is it ok to start out jogging and not running?
    When you do the cool down, do you just walk slowly for five minutes?
    Also, do you recommend using the c25k every other day so the impact isn't as bad?
    I want to get the most from this, but without any injuries. Thanks in advance for any help given.
  • kaaabney
    kaaabney Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What are your off days? Did you have off days every other day, every 2 days,etc?
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on starting and glad to hear it's sparking a desire to run!

Second, as everyone else said: cross train. Even if you progress to a 24+ mile a week runner, cross training is essential.

Don't push the running. Follow the program and do your three days a week. Pushing yourself too far or fast too quickly will only welcome injury.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    +1 for strength training.

It will help with your running as well as helping you maintain muscle while losing weight.
  • befitnow3
    befitnow3 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm only on W1D2 and already excited about day 3 tomorrow lol. I don't even walk normally and running anywhere?! please!! that's why we have cars lol. but seriously, I'm doing this strictly on the treadmill until it warms up enough to go out and so far---2 thumbs way up!! nothing like a little electronic voice egging you on :D oh, and yeah, I do yoga on my rest days ;) good luck!
  • AngieOrangy
    AngieOrangy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just started with week 1 day one last night. I have several questions:
    When you jog, is it ok to start out jogging and not running?
    When you do the cool down, do you just walk slowly for five minutes?
    Also, do you recommend using the c25k every other day so the impact isn't as bad?
    I want to get the most from this, but without any injuries. Thanks in advance for any help given.

I'm on W3D1.
    It's still cold where I am, so keep in mind I'm doing this all on a treadmill.
    I usually do a jog, about 5.2 mph.
    For the cool down I'll taper the walking. Walk at 3 mph for 1 minute, 2.5 mph for two or so minutes, then slow down all the way to 1.5 mph.
    I believe on the c25k website it recommends at least 1 day between. However, it specifically states not to run on consecutive days (back to back).
    Hope this helped. This is just from my experience.
  • skorenfeld123
    Options
    I read on some forum that you should jog as slowly as you can, which I am definitely taking seriously as I start week three. I am trying not to do anything too crazy on my "off" days so it doesn't dissuade me/give me permission to slack off on my running, but I am trying to keep moving in some way.

Anyone notice the scale moving after starting? Unfortunately I haven't seen a big change but it's still the beginning. Thanks again everyone for your help!
  • skorenfeld123
    Options
    Oh, and if you don't have an app that coaches you on when to do your intervals, get one! They're usually free and totally worth it!!