Discouraged!

Options
I was wondering how long it took everyone to lose their first couple pounds. Ive been dieting strictly and exercising 1-2 hours everyday for a week and a half and STILL havn't lost even one pound. I thought I would at least lose 1 pound by now!!

Replies

• suzukigrl
    Options
    I was wondering how long it took everyone to lose their first couple pounds. Ive been dieting strictly and exercising 1-2 hours everyday for a week and a half and STILL havn't lost even one pound. I thought I would at least lose 1 pound by now!!
    if exercise is new to you, you may be putting on muscle. don't forget to get in all or most of your calories so you keep you metab up. don't forget your water. weigh yourself weekly approx the same time of the day each time in similar clothing on the same scale. don't get discouraged. keep it up and maybe you should wait a couple of weeks before you weigh again so you don't get discouraged. just concentrate on how eating right and exercising makes you feel before you step on that blasted scale.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,425 Member
    Options
    1.5 lbs. the first 2 weeks and I was extremely disappointed! Thought it should be so much more, but then a switch kinda flipped and it's been pretty steady up until these last two weeks. It think it took my body a while to realize it wasn't another fad diet and this was for good. Make certain you are eating enough for all your exercising.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    it took me 5 weeks to start losing.. if you have made significant changes, it will take awhile for your body to catch on. Don't give up.. you will be successful.
  • MunchkinHawk12
    MunchkinHawk12 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, I actually gained 5lbs the first week and then lost it and I haven't really lost much more, but I have lost inches. Keep it up and make sure you're eating right. Don't just check your calories, but check your carbs and sodium! GOOD LUCK!
  • Debtappe
    Debtappe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Maybe you aren't eating enough calories to lose. Be sure to eat the calories you burn exercising. Also read the Newbie information posts.
  • sevangelista
    Options
    What kind of foods are you eating at what kind of exercise are you doing and at what intensity?
  • dmfear
    dmfear Posts: 24
    Options
    I have cut out red meat, simple sugars, white bread/white rice. My diet consists of LOTS of veggies and whole grain breads and proteins like turkey. I work at a medium-high intensity (I take aerobic, dance, weight-lifting, pilates etc. classes at my gym
  • ClaudiaHong
    Options
    I know how you feel. But remember water retention plays a part too. With proteins - make sure you are not eating any kind of processed meats - like from th deli - they are full of salt and will cause you to retain water - also there is a lot of crap in them - best to make your own at least you know whats in it. If your clothes are looser and you look leaner - its working - the scales will catch up .
  • jennatig
    Options
    Carbohydrates are nothing but sugar. You need them for energy so diets like Atkins aren't very smart but you want to make sure you are eating the right kinds of carbs and that you are staying around 50% of your total calories. You should be getting your carbs from rice, fruits, vegetables and other good solid foods. It took me a year before I realized I was exercising my life away and starving myself at a mere 900 calories per day. Most of those calories were composed of high fat, high carb foods. I wasn't getting very many proteins at all. Protein is really important. Once I married the two concepts of eating right and moderate exercise (not everyday) to include weights, circuit training and cardio I started losing. A good amount to lose, per my doctor, is approx 1- 1 1/2 lbs/week, any more and you stand to yo yo. I have now lost 20lbs over the past 4 months and I'm slowly becoming rock solid. Just stick with it and REALLY watch your eating and what you put in your mouth. Track your eating on here, that's what really made it stick for me.

Check out these sites http://www.goodcarbs.org/ http://www.freedieting.com/tools/weight_loss_tools.htm
  • blueelephant1212
    blueelephant1212 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i'm in the same boat! i don't know what is up w/ not losing. :(
  • lynne_p
    lynne_p Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. I found that tracking sodium and making sure I drank enough water and more water really helped. I seemed to stay the same weight for a week or two and then things slowly started moving. Make sure you're eating at least half of your exercise calories earned. You can do this.
  • fluffy2010
    Options
    You also need to do your measurements. You may have lost some inches and you don't even know it! Measure your upper arms, chest, waist, hips and thighs. Over the past 9 weeks, I only lost 12.5 pounds, but I lost 13 inches.
  • Brat3073
    Brat3073 Posts: 160
    Options
    dont give up. It was about 2 months before i started seeing a difference. After my first month i gained 2 pounds but i lost almost 7 inches. So be sure to track your measurements......that is key!!
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Hey Dana! Look at you staring this long thread, check this out. This is why I made Veggie soup. It worked for two people I know. My Gpa and a friend. I know Fad diets are risky but only use it a a start or a couple times a year.
    Hey everyone! I found the following 7-Day Cleansing Diet in my recipe box, and I've had it forever (about 35 years). It sounds a bit weird, but I followed this diet before, and it worked pretty well. Check with your doctor first, and then you can try it if you want. I might try it again, and see how it goes. I loved the T-J Miracle Soup! Yummy... You can just have the soup if you want, and don't worry about the rest of the diet. Take care, Laura :)

SEVEN-DAY CLEANSING DIET--From the Sacred Heart Hospital in Spokane, Washington for overweight heart patients:

This 7-day diet plan can be used as often as you like, but I would suggest possibly only doing it once a month, at the most. As a matter of fact, if followed correctly, it will clean your system of impurities and give you a feeling of well-being you never thought possible. After only 7 days of this process, you will begin to feel lighter because you will be lighter by at least 10 pounds, possibly as much as 17 pounds, and you will have an abundance of energy, as well. (I don't know if this much weight loss is really possible or if it would even be good for us to lose it this quickly; but, maybe it's because it's a "cleansing" diet. I think we do hold a lot of weight in our intestines... Yuck! I guess that's why we do cleansing diets, right???) Continue this plan for as long as you wish and feel the difference in both medical and physical disposition.

T-J MIRACLE SOUP (You eat this soup as much as you want along with the other foods for each day.):
    6 large onions, 2 green peppers, 4 whole tomatoes (fresh or canned), 1 head of cabbage, 1 large stalk of celery. Season with dry onion soup mix. Cut vegetables and cover with water in a large pot. Boil for 10 minutes, cover, lower heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender. T-J Miracle Soup can be eaten at any time when you feel hungry. East as much as you wish and as often as you like. This soup will not add calories, so eat all you want. The more you eat, the more you lose... Enjoy! Yum, yum...

FIRST DAY--ALL THE FRUITS EXCEPT BANANAS: Your first day will consist of all the fruits you want except bananas. For all you melon lovers, this is the day for you. Two fruits which are lower in calories than most other fruits are watermelon and cantelope. Should you eat the melon, your chances of losing 3 pounds in the first day are great. You may also have T-J Miracle Soup today.

SECOND DAY--ALL THE VEGETABLES: Eat until you are stuffed with all the fresh (raw, steamed, or cooked) vegetables of your choice. Try to eat green, leafy vegetables, and stay away from dry beans, peas, and corn. These vegetables are good for you, but not now as you are trying to reduce your calorie intake. You may also have a large baked potato and T-J Miracle Soup today.

THIRD DAY--FRUITS AND VEGETABLES: Same as day one and day two including the T-J Miracle Soup, except for no potato.

FOURTH DAY--BANANAS: Eat as many as 8 bananas and drink as much as 8 glasses of skim milk on this day, along with T-J Miracle Soup. Bananas and skim milk blended together in a blender is very good way to enjoy this day. Bananas are high in carbohydrates and will lessen any cravings for sweets.

FIFTH DAY--BEEF AND VEGETABLES: You can have 10 to 20 ounces of beef and six tomatoes on your fifth day. Try to drink at least 8 glasses of water in order to wash away any uric acid in your body. You may also have T-J Miracle Soup today.

SIXTH DAY--BEEF AND VEGETABLES: Eat until your heart is content with beef, vegetables, and T-J Miracle Soup. No potato.

SEVENTH DAY--BROWN RICE, FRUIT, AND VEGETABLES: Enjoy brown rice, unsweetened fruit juice, vegetables, T-J Soup.