which is better -- carbs or fat?

Options
Yesterday I was inquiring about my protein intake. now I'm staring at my macros and wondering whether it's better to go over on my carbs or my fat...

My macros from yesterday were:

Your Daily Goal.....1,472..........185..........58...........55...........15
Remaining..................38...........-18............9..........-23..........-19
...........................Calories........Carbs........Fat......Protein.....Fiber

My macros for today are:

Your Daily Goal...........1,300...........163...........51............49...........13
Remaining..........................1............-50...........21.............-7..........-14
..................................Calories........Carbs........Fat........Protein......Fiber

I'm UNDER on my fat intake both days, and OVER on my Carbs, Protein, and Fiber intake both days -- and this is standard for pretty much every day.

I just changed my macro percentages yesterday to 50% Carbs, 35% fat, and 15% protein. Most of my carbs come from fruit -- like tonight for dinner I'm making a fruit smoothie (on the go) -- 1 cup frozen peaches, 1 cup frozen strawberries (both unsweetened), 1 small orange, 8oz light apple juice, 4oz carrot/mango juice (bolthouse farms), and 1 tube protein yogurt.

So does it really matter if I'm over on my carbs almost every day, especially if it's 80% from fruit?

Replies

• EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    When it comes down to it, the answer is no. As long as you take in less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. Fat and protein are comprised of much more complex molecules, and therefore take longer to digest. This is why they generally leave you feeling fuller longer, but in the end, it's calories that matter.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    no one...?

1z2hc1h.jpg
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    When it comes down to it, the answer is no. As long as you take in less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. Fat and protein are comprised of much more complex molecules, and therefore take longer to digest. This is why they generally leave you feeling fuller longer, but in the end, it's calories that matter.

oh! there's one!! thanks!!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    no one...?

1z2hc1h.jpg

I love Vizslas!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

This is your answer.

I tend to think of my protein & fat numbers as minimums and my carbs as a maximum. Fat helps me stay fuller and more satisfied and helps stabilize my mood while I'm dieting. Your mileage may vary.
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    To simplify things, I keep them all at 33%, calories in, calories out.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Carbs.

Carb intake has a large impact on exercise performance. The more the better, especially when cutting.

Fat keeps you full longer, but if excessive hunger isn't an issue, carbs are definitely preferred to fat.

If significant insulin resistance or diabetes are an issue however, high carb intakes should be avoided (this isn't necessarily permanent; exercise and weight loss will increase insulin sensitivity).
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    Carbs.

Carb intake has a large impact on exercise performance. The more the better, especially when cutting.

Fat keeps you full longer, but if excessive hunger isn't an issue, carbs are definitely preferred to fat.

If significant insulin resistance or diabetes are an issue however, high carb intakes should be avoided (this isn't necessarily permanent; exercise and weight loss will increase insulin sensitivity).

Hey thanks! Appreciate the help!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I use MFP's protein & fiber goals as minimums, and ignore the rest. But if you ask 100 MFPers, you'll get 100 different opinions. Everybody's different, and weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • naariel
    naariel Posts: 37
    Options
    Well personally I prefer fat to carbs. For weight loss/maintenance the most important is calories, so whichever you chose it won't really have an impact unless you overeat your calories goal.
    Carbs are great for quick energy. What's more annoying with them is insulin production, and glycemic yo-yo.
    Fat is more a slow, steady energy but the bonus is you need it anyway, for body function. It's not only energy source, so I find them less "empty calories source". Like proteins, they have an additional purpose. That's why I prefer them.
    Additionally, if you eat low-carb your body is going to improve in fat metabolism (Keto) because it doesn't have an easy source of quick energy.

I don't personally go in Keto mode, but my diet is still considered somewhat low carb.
    What you tend to eat is also important to help you chose between carbs and fat. I can't have gluten (or dairy), so my most easy and obvious carbs source tends to be fruits. But fruits are a bit pointless for proteins and fat, they're great for a snack, vitamins and taste good but too much fruits and I end up not meeting my proteins/fat requirements. So I avoid them, have them for their taste and pleasure when I'm feeling like it, but they're not essential in my diet, I have more eggs, meat and nuts for proteins, and that's automatically more fat than carbs.

And I'm totally with a previous poster: I have a maximal carbs goal and, with the overall calories goal, it's the only "max" one I have. My protein is a minimal goal and fat an "average" where I can go under or over depending on what's left in my calories goal.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercise are you doing? If you're not exercising, 1. You're going to lose a lot of muscle along with fat, and 2. You don't need nearly so many carbs.
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    What kind of exercise are you doing? If you're not exercising, 1. You're going to lose a lot of muscle along with fat, and 2. You don't need nearly so many carbs.

My exercising ranges in 30+ minute walks, cardio DVD's (such as 30 Day Shred, or Leslie Sansone's DVDs), Calisthenics (mostly squats, situps, crunches, planks, jumping jacks, jump rope, etc -- things that are easily done in my home), and Yoga/Stretching.
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    Well personally I prefer fat to carbs. For weight loss/maintenance the most important is calories, so whichever you chose it won't really have an impact unless you overeat your calories goal.
    Carbs are great for quick energy. What's more annoying with them is insulin production, and glycemic yo-yo.
    Fat is more a slow, steady energy but the bonus is you need it anyway, for body function. It's not only energy source, so I find them less "empty calories source". Like proteins, they have an additional purpose. That's why I prefer them.
    Additionally, if you eat low-carb your body is going to improve in fat metabolism (Keto) because it doesn't have an easy source of quick energy.

I don't personally go in Keto mode, but my diet is still considered somewhat low carb.
    What you tend to eat is also important to help you chose between carbs and fat. I can't have gluten (or dairy), so my most easy and obvious carbs source tends to be fruits. But fruits are a bit pointless for proteins and fat, they're great for a snack, vitamins and taste good but too much fruits and I end up not meeting my proteins/fat requirements. So I avoid them, have them for their taste and pleasure when I'm feeling like it, but they're not essential in my diet, I have more eggs, meat and nuts for proteins, and that's automatically more fat than carbs.

And I'm totally with a previous poster: I have a maximal carbs goal and, with the overall calories goal, it's the only "max" one I have. My protein is a minimal goal and fat an "average" where I can go under or over depending on what's left in my calories goal.

Thank you! I appreciate all your help!
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have insilin resitant PCOS , so I tend to stay away from carbs in general while working on my fitness regiman. I tend to go for healthy fats
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Carbs.

Fat is essential, carbs are not. Yes carbs help most people with performance, but it doesn't do what fat does for the health of your body. Fat helps with the digestive system, hair, skin, nails, vitamin and mineral absorption. You can eat 10% carbs and still be healthy, but if you fat intake is that low you will begin to have issues.

OP: with the intakes you are taking in more fat and less carbs would be better. If your fat was at 100 grams and carbs at 40, I would then lean to the carb side of the equation, but in context to you, fat is preferable.
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You need to change your macros, this is too little protein!
    Try setting them at 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I try for as much protein as possible (I'm always low), then balance out the rest with carbs & fat. I usually wind up with a nearly 33/33/33 split.

Various folks mention that such balances are very personal. Agreed! Your activities may also influence how you adjust your macros. For example, I do a lot of long-distance cycling, so I eat a higher ratio of carbs for that. Carbs are a quickly metabolized fuel source and that's what endurance folks need before and during intense/prolonged activity (distance running, biking, tris, etc.) When I'm not doing a ton of cardio, I switch it up so I consume more fats and less carbs - a higher carb-to-fat ratio keeps me satisfied longer (well, it's really the protein), which helps me stick to my diet. (Just avoid the sat fats - they're bad news.)

So, yeah, you need to figure out what works best for you! And don't be afraid to tweak your macros based on your activity levels.